Window air conditioner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
Window air conditioner

Good afternoon all,

I did a quick search but couldn't find much on this topic.

Our search for a little camper is still progressing. I've noticed a couple of older campers on the market with what appear to be window air conditioners in the side or back of the camper depending on make. Did they once come from the factory with these? Has anyone ever tried to pull them out and replace them with a window? We're there any long term structural issues with this design if it was from the factory?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Paul
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
We have a member with an older (1989) Casita that has a factory installed window air conditioner:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suz View Post
I think they changed the air conditioner to the bottom of the closet in 1990. I have a rear window unit and it came from the factory that way (I replaced mine a couple of years ago). Once I got over the "ugly" factor, I realized the functionality of it was way above the closet mount. Besides, if it were so ugly, why am I still, after five years of ownership, getting comments like "that is the cutest trailer I have ever seen."?
I installed a window type A/C in my Fiber Stream; first in the front window on a temporary basis (Put it in the window when parked; take it out for travel) and later in a side window on a semi-permanent basis.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ner-26008.html
I have since taken it back out of the side window and installed a roof mounted unit with no damage to the side of the trailer or the window itself.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
My 86 Casita had the AC in the back window. I have removed it and plan on putting my AC in the front closet ala the newer units. It will be raised off of the floor with a slight reverse tilt for drainage. I considered installing a roof model;however, my particular Casita is too thin on top with out some structural, spring loaded type supports (there are several). I also thought this would prevent me from putting it in my garage for storage. I will probably have to FG in some of the back radii on the curved sections to allow for a flat window. I don't believe a curved window is available but I am not up to that point in my restoration process.
Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
We really intend on boondocking nearly the whole time we camp, so from our perspective we'd rather have a back window in place.

Thanks for all the responses so far
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Unhappy

Ive thought of all the different ac installs Ive seen and can't think of a problem in removing them. Weather you filled in the hole or put a window in place
afterall your removing about 50 lbs of weight.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
One thing about a temp window install... you only need to take it (and the weight) when you're camping in HOT weather. Other times you can (probably) leave it at home. Plus and minus... depending on YOUR needs.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
The window gods were with me and I was able to finagle the old AC out of the aluminum entrapment. So I love the size of the radius'd window and think I will take it to an auto glass dealer and see what they can do to restore that middle section. I dont know if anything as far as mechanical supports are missing but sure would avoid messing with filling in the radii and buying a new window. The AC will now go into the closet and I will make the enclosure generic enough that brand x,y, or z can be used down the road.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote