Winter driving - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2016, 06:24 AM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Winter driving

The pics in the thread "Last nights weather" got me to thinking.

Last season, early to mid September or so, we were caught on I 70 west of Denver in an early snow storm while heading east for home in TN. I suppose I should have just pulled off somewhere and hunkered down, but I was worried that we might get snowed in for days or perhaps even weeks, due to the elevation and time of the year. So I kept driving. Did not have tire chains. Made it through OK. It was snowing hard, to the point that Interstate road signs were covered with snow and could not be read, as was the road. What would you do?

Also I came across this from RV Travel blog and the reason for this post:

If you’re in an area where the “chains required” sign is up, you’ll have to have them. What about on the trailer? In California, if chains are required on your drive rig, then chains are also required on at least one axle of any trailer that has brakes. The same may be true in other states as well.

Chains are required on the TRAILER tires? Who knew? I would NEVER have considered doing that, but it does make sense.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:57 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
I'd pull into a hotel if I saw signs for chains, or even an imminent snow storm. I might reroute around the weather, given the opportunity. From what I hear even in the Rockies they have the roads cleared pretty quick. I'm taking it the Chains Required signs go off once the snow stops and is cleared.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Remember : If you drive a 4 wheel drive, you can start quicker than a 2 wheel drive but you can not stop any quicker. Here where we live in Virginia we see many 4WD drivers going way to fast then upside down up the road.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
In Washington, 4 wheel drive will suffice for chains unless it says "on all vehicles". I looked up our trailer chain requirements and they have a nice picture of where chains are required for each type of vehicle. The focus was on trucks and truck trailer combinations and included the various possibilities. My c8ntinues was that a pickup with trailer most closely matched a configuration that required them on the rear drive axle (except my Ridgeline requires them on the front) and on the curb side of the rear trailer axle.

Why not both sides? I don't know. If I had a dual axle trailer with brakes on only one, I would definitely put the with the brakes.

As stated, although I do have a set of chains for my truck and a pair that I think will fit the trailer, it is highly unlikely that either set will see a bed of snow.

1970 Trails West Campster
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin