Winter Route From Portland to Lake Mead - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-04-2023, 08:14 AM   #1

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Winter Route From Portland to Lake Mead

We leave Minnesota on Saturday to pick up our Bigfoot 25RQ in Sidney, BC, then head to the Portland area to meet with Oldwave to visit and install batteries. On approximately January 16th we leave Portland for Lake Mead to meet with friends and start our winter in the SW.

The two routes Google Maps shows us are:
  1. Portland > Eugene > Klamath Falls > Reno > Las Vegas > Lake Mead

2. Portland > Bend > Hwys 97/395 > Reno > Las Vegas > Lake Mead

Considering it's not exactly camping weather most of the way, are we better off with option 1 or option 2?

Is there another option?

Thanks,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 08:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I haven't taken it, but no way I'd go anywhere near Bend or Klamath Falls this time of year

I-5 to Bakersfield to 58 Barstow to 15 Las Vegas/Henderson
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 09:43 AM   #3
M_C

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
California
I would take 5 south, it is a longer drive but after Siskious you are out of the snow.
M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 11:56 AM   #4

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
At this time of year.....you always need to check the weather up ahead no matter which route you take. I agree with others.....lots of snow on US 395 right now.......stay further West.....I5 is best option but keep in mind.....even I5 can be tough.....chains are currently required over the Siskiyous. Another option.....go down Hwy 101....beautiful drive but will take you longer.....chances are....no snow all the way down the coast. Goos luck...be safe.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 05:42 PM   #5

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I agree with Jerrybob. Portland traffic is dreadful, I've been in situations where I was northbound on I-5 and it took two hours of creeping-and-beeping traffic to make it from the southern outskirts of Portland to the Columbia River bridge-a distance of about 13 miles. It's all in the timing, you see-rush hour seems to go on forever.

You can avoid Portland by taking I-205 SB just before you get to Vancouver (Exit 7 SB and it sends you around the west side of Portland. From then on south it's pretty much easier going. It rejoins I-5 south of Portland.

Minor note-there are TWO Vancouvers, one is in BC and the other is in S. WA. I am talking about the US one, not the Canadian. Maybe not nowadays, but a first generation GPS I had couldn't understand the difference and kept trying to send me to Canada.

I have done both routes to CA and Hwy 101 takes a lot longer -you're going through little towns, and there are stretches where it's a long way between gas stations. Nevertheless, in winter weather Hwy 101 is probably your safest bet. Besides, you get some fabulous scenery along the coast. Cannon Beach, for instance...

Have a safe trip!
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:20 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Advice

So far Donnas advice has been spot on, we are in the same boat as we want to cross back east the southern route. Thanks.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 06:09 AM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Donna's advise is safest. Longer and not as scenic or interesting, but safest plus ODOT and CALTRANS provide excellent weather reports and very current videos of I-5.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:23 AM   #8

Anyone traveling through Oregon, especially in the winter, is always wise to keep an eye on the weather. TripCheck is a MUST DO. On I-5 in Oregon, there are THREE passes to keep an eye on. ALL are south of Roseburg

Stage Road Pass, about halfway between Roseburg and Grants Pass
Sexton Summit, halfway between Stage Road Pass and Grants Pass
and, of course the Siskiyou

https://tripcheck.com/

Occasionally and I do mean occasionally, I-5 can be a real mess from the Oregon/Cali border all the way through to Dunsmire. But when that happens it will make the national news and you'll know it!

Safe travels everyone
Old 01-06-2023, 10:49 AM   #9

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I take I-5 south from Portland several times a year and have also found it is best to fuel up in Ashland or Medford Oregon when going south and in Redding when going north. I-5 in between has limited opportunitys to buy fuel. Yreka California is a really pretty town with lots of great things to see and do, but getting fuel is not one of them. Fuel prices are higher there and often in inclement weather, the lines at the pump are long and occasionally the stations run out.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 01:21 PM   #10

Two More Routes:
Portland to Twin Falls, ID to Lake Mead Marina, 1,069 miles

Portland to Battle Mountain to Lake Mead Marina, 1,135 miles

The way I see it, there is no way to Las Vegas that can't have bad weather, but these look the best.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Old 01-06-2023, 01:38 PM   #11

I-84 East out of Portland is occasionally completely closed due to ice and wind. It's been closed twice this year for several days each time. But you'll know when it happens, it's all over the local news. Just know, that's the Columbia River Gorge and there's a reason there are wind farms there!

Good luck
Old 01-06-2023, 03:29 PM   #12

After hauling our 2013 Cougar RBS we bought a Sherline scale.

Our 2003 Bigfoot 25 RQ, 25' 6" long, was heavy, but compact and weighed 6,200 #s with 900#'s of that weight on the tongue.

Our 25' 11" Cougar was tall and weighed 6,300#'s with 650#s on the tongue.

Guess which one was scary to pull?

Never had a problem hauling the Bigfoot, even in side winds. After we pulled the Cougar out to Yellowstone and Glacier we said, "No Mas!" The Bigfoot was purchased and the Cougar sold.

Enjoy,

Perry

Old 01-07-2023, 12:04 PM   #13

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I would do I-5 There can be snow this time of year but lots od traffic can keep the road relatively clear. If a storm comes through during your dates Oh well because even 101 can have snow. I know that first hand along the Oregon coast and NorCal north of Eureka.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 12:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
It just dawned on me that you're coming from Minnesota this time of year to pick up your new trailer then you must know about winter weather And all the big storms that have rolled through the last couple of weeks. However once you get out of here what you're dealing with his pulling your trailer in mountains which you don't have in Minnesota. I still say I-5 would be your easiest route.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
We have left the kootenays of BC January1 for a SoCal holiday several times and taken several different routes.
We found the 205 around Portland ok then down 5 to Grants Pass then 199 to Crescent City and down the 101. Nice campground in Fortuna. Worked our way to Inland to Napa and stayed at Skyline.
Get back to 5 Bakersfield. Somewhere on the east end of Bakersfield is a neat rv park in an orange grove, Upick free oranges if they're in season and nice pk. Barstow, Vegas.
5 is quicker yes but the 101 is beautiful.
If you want to make the time and haven't been, experience the beach in Oregon
You can fly down the 5 or enjoy the 1/101 and create a ton of memories!
My 2$ worth
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 06:25 PM   #16
M_C

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
California
Not to mention slides.
M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 11:48 AM   #17

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Interesting video on status of Lake Mead.......when I was a kid living in So Calif.....I remember many weekend water sking on the Lake.....that opportunity may no exist anymore. Safe travels.....

jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 12:15 PM   #18

Name: Peter
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Trying to Get Somewhere?

If you are trying to ‘get somewhere’ then the I-5 route makes sense. If you want to be somewhere take the eastern routes.
Perry’s Battle Mountain route is a nice compromise. I live in Portland and have gone to this area numerous times in the winter.
The snow is drier to the east, the traffic less, and they don’t shut the roads down every time a semi spins out.

Highway 58 is a trucking route that is much easier than I-5 south of Ashland. 395 is a big, open, beautiful drive. I prefer going further east most of the time and will cut over to the Black Rock Desert and go down through Gerlack. I also enjoy cutting over to Burns and going down through Denio.
You may have some mudslides and road clisures this year on the coast but if you really don’t like snow thats the bedt option.
Have a nice trip.
Cottonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 12:26 PM   #19

Name: Tina
Trailer: 2003 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Nevada
With all of the winter storms, definitely check the DOT websites for Oregon and California before planning your route, especially for Hwy 101. Currently a section of Hwy 101 in southern Oregon just south of Port Orford and north of Brookings has collapsed and that section of Highway will be closed for quite awhile.
Tina T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 11:18 PM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
British Columbia
You've already got good comment on routes south. Just wanted to add that if you choose 101 or I-5, start out with 101 at least, rather than slogging through Seattle on I-5 which is a real treat (NOT). Personally, I like 101 all the way but haven't done it in the winter.

I live in Victoria, right beside Sidney, BC on Vancouver Island and suggest you take the Coho ferry from our downtown terminal to Port Angeles, Washington. This gets you right on the 101 directly and you skirt Seattle by going down the west side of Hood Canal - but I expect you may know all this.

Safe travels! (I'm envious)
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote