Without Trying to Alienate Anyone.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2009, 07:00 AM   #1

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Thumbs up

Is this a fiberglass RV?

Name:   Image63.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  3.2 KB

New 2010 Wildcat 5th Wheel 32QBSS by Forest River RV that is equiped with a tough fiberglass construction type, is room enough for 8 RV-ers to sleep, and has 2 spacious slides.

Or maybe this...

Glendale Titanium Pearl Fifth Wheel Trailer 2008
May 28, 2008 | Fifth Wheel Trailers

Click image for larger version

Name:	glendale_titanium_pearl_fifth_wheel_trailer_2008.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	25240

A rare find and just as precious as its namesake, the Glendale Titanium Pearl Fifth Wheel Trailer 2008 is a real treasure. With three distinct floor plans to choose from, the Titanium Pearl is built using I beam steel frame construction and vacuum-bonded smooth high gloss fiberglass siding. Glendale knows a thing or two about making you feel right at home – that’s why this fifth wheel trailer is outfitted with creature comforts such as queen- and king-sized beds, an eight-cubic-foot refrigerator, a 15,000 BTU ducted air conditioning, a whisper-quiet 40,000 BTU furnace and Euro-recliners with an ottoman.

DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sure that's fiberglass. Uses flat fiberglass panels and probably a framework to screw the panels into.

But, if you're asking about FiberglassRV and what we use to define the focus of this forum... it's MOLDED fiberglass, no framework, self-supported.

Does this help?

On edit: I forgot the lightweight portion of our focus. I doubt anyone would consider the examples you gave as "lightweight."
Attached Thumbnails
mfrog.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:17 AM   #3

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Moulded, yes that helps. Not sure about "lightweight", every manufacturer has used the word "lightweight" in their prodcut description. While nobody would call what I showed lightweight, everyone will draw a different line. Anyhow I was just wondering if we have a good working deffinition.
thanks Donna

DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #4

Trailer: Helite
Molded Fiberglass is heavy whereas the laminated fiberglass on foam such as the Sun Lite Xtreme 23ft 5th wheel weighs around 3000 pounds (Empty) is 7.5 ft wide and Tall so you can stand up in and really roomie inside. My Scamp 5r weighed in at this figure with some items inside.

Even though they only want "Molded" fiberglass on this site they have advertisements for convential campers. Go Figure.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Even though they only want "Molded" fiberglass on this site they have advertisements for convential campers. Go Figure.
OH that's an easy one to answer. You'll notice the top of those ads says "Ads by Google." we don't get to pick and choose and those ads are what help to financially support FiberglassRV. Without financial support this website would cease to exist. As I learned in Economics 101, there's no such thing as a free lunch. We could do away with those ads, and instead go to a fully-paid membership. Don't think too many of the members would like to pay a monthly fee. I know I wouldn't. So, just needed to find a method of partial support.

Does this help Art?
Old 11-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I wonder if the "lightweight" is really a clear part of the forum definition (anymore?). I mean, it seems as though any molded RV or trailer is accepted, regardless of weight. (Which is fine by me.)

"Lightweight" is subjective, of course, but to my mind a Compact Jr. is light weight; a fully loaded Bigfoot, isn't. But it's still molded.

I don't keep up on "stickie" things, but aren't the newer ones getting fairly light compared to the older ones?

At any rate, it seems to me that we aren't excluding any molded RVs or trailers, regardless of what they weigh. Seems like the "molded" and "fiberglass" are the keys. Maybe we're more of a "Molded Fiberglass RV and Trailer" forum

Maybe the forum didn't used to use the "lightweight" part? I'm guessing that MFROG (used on the left side here) stands for "Molded Fiberglass RV Owners' Group," but I don't know for sure.

Anyway, sure glad the forum is here

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:57 AM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
I wonder if the "lightweight" is really a clear part of the forum definition (anymore?). I mean, it seems as though any molded RV or trailer is accepted, regardless of weight. (Which is fine by me.)

"Lightweight" is subjective, of course, but to my mind a Compact Jr. is light weight; a fully loaded Bigfoot, isn't. But it's still molded.

Maybe the forum didn't used to use the "lightweight" part? I'm guessing that MFROG (used on the left side here) stands for "Molded Fiberglass RV Owners' Group," but I don't know for sure.

Anyway, sure glad the forum is here

Raya
Raya, actually the Bigfoot is still a "Lightweight" molded fiberglass RV. My 25' rear queen at 5300 lbs as equipped weighs about 1200 lbs less than the comparable Airstream International 25' at approximately 6500 lbs of curb weight. You can buy ultra light-weight stickies now, but the construction material quality tends to be less than optimal... they are pretty flimsy for the most part. Their longevity will be questionable (at least in my mind...)

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #8

I see, Roger.

I have always wondered at the difference between the two names though. The "Molded Lightweight Fiberglass RV" and the "MFROG." Also, a mod in another thread showed a definition that it was only for trailers (thread about a molded fiberglass pickup camper), but I've always understood "RV" to be more inclusive than just trailers.

So....I'm curious too. But then, I get editor brain going sometimes....
Old 11-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #9

Raya, I found this from October 2, 2002. Just as the web has evolved, so has FiberglassRV:

Click image for larger version

Name:	10_02_2002.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	25255

I found it using the Wayback Machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20021011085631/...berglassrv.com/
Old 11-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #10

Thanks, Donna. That's what I was thinking it stood for. A remnant lives on in the upper left-hand corner. I've never used the "wayback machine" but I bet it could be pretty entertaining (and informative). I had just mentioned MFROG because it was less restrictive (no "lightweight") and so I thought it related somewhat to the thread topic.

If it were up to me, well, there are so few "non-trailer" non-motorized molded fiberglass RVs that I would include them all (such as truck campers). "RV" even seems like it would include motorized things like the Toyota Chinook (and Scamp.... whatever-its-called), but, on the other hand, I don't have a big stake in it either way.

But, I just have the sort of brain that can't help but notice if there are inconsistencies. Maybe I was looking over my brother's shoulder too much while he was watching "Sesame Street" ("Which item doesn't belong?" ) So that made me think about Lightweight vs. Anyweight and Trailer vs. RV. All molded, of course!

Raya
Old 11-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Donna, I have one of those FGRV on the back window of my Scamp, don't know if anyone has ever replied to this forum or not, but doesn't hurt to advertise a little. Marg in NW California
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #12

Quote:
If it were up to me, well, there are so few "non-trailer" non-motorized molded fiberglass RVs that I would include them all (such as truck campers). "RV" even seems like it would include motorized things like the Toyota Chinook (and Scamp.... whatever-its-called), but, on the other hand, I don't have a big stake in it either way.
I understand, and you're not the first... nor will probably be the last. But when you see this listing on the home page of molded trailers, many of them orphaned or few remaining, perhaps you can understand the focus of FiberglassRV. Currently this is the only site on the web that's fulfilling that need.

And, it's impossible to be all things to all people. We would never compete with iRV2.com or the Open Road forums on RV.net.

It's a struggle to chose a web address. It would be cumbersome to be:
AllBrandsMoldedFiberglassTrailers.com And then people who have stock fiberglass utility trailers would think this is for them (it would be if they turned it into a camper). Shorter domain names are easier to remember, easier to type and far less susceptible to mistakes, consequently FiberglassRV.com

I prefer to think we're a gateway for those that find this website and have something other than the forum focus ... and we try to help them out by pointing the way to a better forum for their questions. It's only those people who skip through the home page that seem to not understand.

But you know what? There's always room on the web for another website, perhaps you'd like to start one?
Old 11-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #13

Quote:
But you know what? There's always room on the web for another website, perhaps you'd like to start one?
Ouch!

I didn't mean to offend anyone. And I'm not lobbying for anything with an agenda. After all, I have a small, lightweight, molded trailer, so I know I'm "in."

It's just that I try hard to be a person who contributes to the forum, by spending a fair bit of time writing posts in areas where I have some experience. And it's difficult to do that but then not also join in with opinions about it. For me, being part of a community is accompanied by wanting to improve it, if possible. If I feel I can't do that, then I feel less invested, and like I'm wasting my time (which, normally I don't feel that way at all).

Donna wrote: But when you see this listing on the home page of molded trailers, many of them orphaned or few remaining, perhaps you can understand the focus of FiberglassRV.

Someone asked what was included, which seemed fair. And there are a number of different indications on this site as to what's included. So it's hard to know for sure. By looking over the list on the home page, maybe some people can't immediately see what's included or excluded. I read:

[b]Home of Lightweight Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers RV

Lightweight - subjective, but it was clarified that all molded ARE lightweight (if so I would put molded first and lightweight second, to help show that it's all molded ones, which by definition are lightweight).

Molded - this is clear

Fiberglass - this is clear

Travel Trailers - means towable, non-motorized, okay, this is clear.

RV - usually means motorized, and/or a more general recreational vehicle

I guess if it were me, I would keep the URL (which is a good one, as you point out), and then just make it clear that we are talking about *trailers* and nothing else. Maybe it would be as simple as removing RV from that main line on the home page (shown above in bold).

Raya
Old 11-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #14

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
Just my two cents,but I really don't see what the problem is.There are people on this fourm that do not own a trailer.They may be interested in purchasing a fg trailer and looking for input in that direction.They may end up getting a trailer that is not fg but they still will benefit from some of the discussions on this site.Helping others and getting help ourselves in the process is what its all about.......or maybe not.
Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote