Wood-FREE models? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2020, 06:23 PM   #1

Name: Christyn
Trailer: Aliner
Illinois
Anyone know the wood-FREE models?

I have a long and arduous relationship with leaking, lol. My #1 desire for a next camper would be 100% NO WOOD, mechanical waterproofing as much as possible (not relying 100% on caulk) and a drain. I assume at this point anything no matter how meticulously maintained will leak eventually and I loathe the smell of rotten wood! I want to find something literally built like a yacht that has no wood in the structure or flooring (cabinets or cabinet doors are fine).

I know some have a fiberglass or resin-coated wood floor, while I'm sure it would be very good I'm really looking for no wood at all.

The only one I'm aware of that's truly free of wood in the structure is Happier Camper, which I love but I'd like to know if there are any other options, possibly that branch into slightly bigger models? Thanks so much all!
Christyn Midwestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:12 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Wood-FREE models?

Oliver. Along with Happier Camper, those are the only two molded trailers I know of with no wood in the exterior shell, floor, or interior cabinetry.

Beyond fiberglass, there is Camplite with an all-aluminum frame and skin and all-composite interior. They are no longer made, and earlier units (before they were bought out by Thor in 2013) are better built but more utilitarian.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:27 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My house was built in 1940 out of wood.
I am still living in it.
How long do you expect to be camping?
Old 08-12-2020, 10:33 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
RVing is like a mag 5 earthquake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I am still living in it.
Earthquake Magnitude Scale 5, only causes minor damage.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:22 AM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita 17 SD - sold - Lance 1475
Tennessee
Lance uses an aluminum frame with foam insulation.
jimiller5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:48 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
I am still living in it.
Try towing your house down the highway and backroads for thousands of miles at speeds exceeding 70 mph.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:53 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
"I want to find something literally built like a yacht that has no wood in the structure or flooring (cabinets or cabinet doors are fine)."

Lil Snoozy, built by a boat company too. Note, just because the exterior is all fiberglass does not mean it can't get leaks or water damage. There was a thread as I recall on a Snoozy where water from a window leak got into the foam core they use in the walls.

IMHO, its more about maintenance and storage when not in use. Molded FG gives you a major leg up over traditionally built trailers, hence the large number of 40 year old or older molded trailers. Even ones that get abused, like the Dave Tilston cracked egg where the roof collapsed and the trailer filled with snow have survived (old Trillium).
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:18 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Last year I had to pick up a HC1 from Autocamp which they purchased for their camp rental resort located on the Russian river near The Napa valley . They had a 100 year flood were almost all their airstreams and 1 HC1 were submerged in over 8 feet high water , they managed to pull out a couple of airstreams before they were submerged but had to write off over 20 airstreams . The HC1 bobbed on its side for over 24 hrs and the only damage was to the cabinet doors and they had to replace the wireing harness and inverter .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:42 AM   #9

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Only sorta fiberglass... Alto/Safari Condo. All aluminum and fiberglass. They look quite nice; they are rather expensive. An owner I spoke with at some length liked his, but said he had a condensation issue, due to the aluminum walls. That's where the typical rat fur/carpet makes a difference. We really liked the Alto 21' trailer.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:34 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Oliver. Along with Happier Camper, those are the only two molded trailers I know of with no wood in the exterior shell, floor, or interior cabinetry.
Well, not exactly true. In Olivers, the sink and stove cabinet and drawers, and the microwave cabinet are made from plywood. But Christyn said that would be fine.

Windows can and do leak, but that can't rot any wood that is not there. However, it can get the mattress wet and cause mold. In my Oliver, we kept towels under the windows when it was raining.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:27 PM   #11

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

Beyond fiberglass, there is Camplite with an all-aluminum frame and skin and all-composite interior. They are no longer made, and earlier units (before they were bought out by Thor in 2013) are better built but more utilitarian.
I'm glad you mentioned oliver, I wasn't sure if they were wood free or not, glad to hear they are. They seem set up exclusively for two people so I've never taken them too seriously but I will take another look.

I remember the aluminum camplites, I would rather go molded fiberglass but it's worth thinking about. Thank you!
Old 08-30-2020, 06:32 PM   #12

Illinois
Quote:
I am still living in it.
Hahaha, I live in a 1950 house also wood (wood siding even) and that is precisely the reason I want NO wood in my camper's construction .
Old 08-30-2020, 06:34 PM   #13

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
"I want to find something literally built like a yacht that has no wood in the structure or flooring (cabinets or cabinet doors are fine)."

Lil Snoozy, built by a boat company too. Note, just because the exterior is all fiberglass does not mean it can't get leaks or water damage. There was a thread as I recall on a Snoozy where water from a window leak got into the foam core they use in the walls.

IMHO, its more about maintenance and storage when not in use. Molded FG gives you a major leg up over traditionally built trailers, hence the large number of 40 year old or older molded trailers. Even ones that get abused, like the Dave Tilston cracked egg where the roof collapsed and the trailer filled with snow have survived (old Trillium).
I had no idea about Lil Snoozy being made by a boat company! I know they were recently rebought (right term?), I wonder if they're keeping the same type of construction?
Old 08-30-2020, 06:48 PM   #14

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Last year I had to pick up a HC1 from Autocamp which they purchased for their camp rental resort located on the Russian river near The Napa valley . They had a 100 year flood were almost all their airstreams and 1 HC1 were submerged in over 8 feet high water , they managed to pull out a couple of airstreams before they were submerged but had to write off over 20 airstreams . The HC1 bobbed on its side for over 24 hrs and the only damage was to the cabinet doors and they had to replace the wireing harness and inverter .
Mikmay that's a remarkable story! That's exactly what I'm looking for, I really feel uncomfortable with another large investment that can rot easily. I want something that can literally be thrown in a lake and come out without rot/mold.

Do you know if there's any timeline for when the possible extra-large Hc1 may come to market? Also can you put the batteries on the tongue? We had a battery go bad on this last trip that put out a huge amount of hydrogen sulfide (super dangerous gas) before we figured it out...makes me happy it was on the tongue and not in the camper!
Old 08-30-2020, 08:45 PM   #15

Tires have been known to blow or go flat with no maintenance.
You may want to consider a trailer with no wheels.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:10 PM   #16

Illinois
Quote:
Tires have been known to blow or go flat with no maintenance.
You may want to consider a trailer with no wheels.
Lol, I have no problem maintaining a trailer (and I do), everyone has things that are important to them. I didn't say it had to be the safest, lightest, fastest, prettiest or biggest. In fact I would give up many things most people would not in order to avoid a wood construction, for me the big issue is water.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:50 PM   #17

Name: Renee
Trailer: Boler
Washington
I agree. Rotten wood. OMG. Something About that smell...
Old 08-30-2020, 10:18 PM   #18

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christyn Midwestyn View Post
I had no idea about Lil Snoozy being made by a boat company! I know they were recently rebought (right term?), I wonder if they're keeping the same type of construction?

The all new Snoozy 2 is a close copy of the Lil Snoozy. The shell is thicker and it is a silver gray color. It is being built by
Wesco Trailers in the former Lil Snoozy plant. The company is not related to the original company.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:26 PM   #19

Does it still need to be plugged in?
Old 08-31-2020, 04:22 PM   #20

Illinois
Quote:
Does it still need to be plugged in?
Do you mean a 30amp cord? No I'm very flexible as far as power options go.