Worth a trip to Backus? - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-14-2020, 01:46 PM   #1
Member
 
Name: Rich
Trailer: Scamp
United States
Posts: 98
Registry
Worth a trip to Backus?

Our 2017 Scamp 16 came to us last fall with a replacement axle that appears to lack the bracket that supports the floor. We live in St Paul, about 3 hours south of Backus. Once various Covid 19 restrictions are lifted, is it worth the trip up to the Scamp mothership? I’m assuming that with an appointment, I can do this all in one day, easy peasy. I guess my question is, will I find the visit worth my while? The alternative of course is to procure the bracket and find a local welding shop.
__________________
Rich and Maggie Passmore
2017 Scamp 16
2011 Toyota Highlander
St Paul, MN
rpassmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,794
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpassmore View Post
Our 2017 Scamp 16 came to us last fall with a replacement axle that appears to lack the bracket that supports the floor. We live in St Paul, about 3 hours south of Backus. Once various Covid 19 restrictions are lifted, is it worth the trip up to the Scamp mothership? I’m assuming that with an appointment, I can do this all in one day, easy peasy. I guess my question is, will I find the visit worth my while? The alternative of course is to procure the bracket and find a local welding shop.
I just got my axle upgraded at Backus, I had an appointment, went to lunch and returned to a job done to perfection. Total time was less than 3hrs.
They build them, They understand them and they listen to your needs.
They can also sell and/or install any parts you might need.
You live close,so it is always worth the trip for a visit or whatever your Scamp needs are.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:51 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,406
I had the axle replaced on our 16 ft Scamp at the factory in Backus
Made an appointment, got in at 8:00 AM and they were done before noon
Price was lower than the local welding shops and Scamp did a great job . They even primed and painted all their welds.
Well worth the trip in my estimation
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:51 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Posts: 646
Registry
I bought a new one 2014. I had a minor problem that came up over the first year. I made an appointment and it was fixed quickly. Like others said, make an appointment and detail what you need. If it's an older model especially ask for an inspection too. They might spot things you don't .
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:29 AM   #5
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Posts: 1,526
Registry
It is good that others have had happy and successful dealings with Eveland’s (Scamp). I, unfortunately, had the opposite experience. I had a (warranty) problem with my Scamp 19 in its first year. While conversing with the owner, I made an appointment and he assured me he would enter it on what he called the “work schedule.” On the appointed day, I pulled into the parking lot, got out of the tow vehicle, and happened to encounter him walking across the parking lot. I was asked “what are you doing here?” When I responded I had an appointment, he told me there wasn’t anything scheduled on the calendar. I guess I should have considered myself lucky that he then told me “We will do our best to fit you in.” How magnanimous of him after I had travelled to Minnesota from Florida for my “non-appointment.” The repair work was sub-par and then the shop foreman suggested I should give the employee who repaired my trailer a substantial tip for his effort in correcting a manufacturing defect. And although there are Scamp owners here who will jump in to vigorously defend the company, none of what I have stated is an exaggeration of what transpired. And it is only one of several reasons I came to despise an no longer own the trailer, nor would I ever own another. Six years later the bad taste still lingers. My only comparable experience (with apologies to Mopar fans): the three worst vehicles I have had were the only three Chrysler products I owned; all lemons, each purchased from different dealerships, none of which could seemingly repair anything on the first visit and they all had an aversion to telling the truth. As a result, my desire to own another Chrysler product is at the same level as my willingness to ever own another Scamp. YMMV, of course!
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:07 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Perryb67's Avatar
 
Name: Perry
Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
It is good that others have had happy and successful dealings with Eveland’s (Scamp). I, unfortunately, had the opposite experience. I had a (warranty) problem with my Scamp 19 in its first year. While conversing with the owner, I made an appointment and he assured me he would enter it on what he called the “work schedule.” On the appointed day, I pulled into the parking lot, got out of the tow vehicle, and happened to encounter him walking across the parking lot. I was asked “what are you doing here?” When I responded I had an appointment, he told me there wasn’t anything scheduled on the calendar. I guess I should have considered myself lucky that he then told me “We will do our best to fit you in.”
I have had similar experiences (NOT with Scamp though). Living 175 miles from the Minneapolis/St Paul area or 100 miles from Fargo/Moorhead you don't want to hear, "What appointment?" Now when I make an appointment that either takes me away from home or work, a day later I double-check the appointment time. Before leaving I usually check again.

Everyone makes mistakes, myself included.

Enjoy,

Perry
__________________
2018 Escape 5.0 TA - 2019 Ford F-150, 3.5 V6 Ecoboost,

Previous Eggs - 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, that we regret selling, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we also regret selling
Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:00 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Posts: 2,091
We had a Fammia awning step and Scamp decals installed at Scamp and they did a great job, quickly and at a very fair price.
I was not disappointed but was well pleased as the price on the Awning was the lowest I found and included the installation!.
We were traveling within a day's distance and stayed at a local RV spot and had an appointment through the parts department.
I don't hesitate to recommend them as an excellent job was done by the people who build them in the first place.
Some people have problems with every one they deal with.
One might wonder where the problem lies with some if they have lots of problems in their lives?
With the Social Isolation we have been rewatching "Justified" and Rayland said, " If when you first get up and run into an A******* first thing he might be one, If you run into A********s all day long then it is more likely you are the one"
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:12 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,406
If everyone’s experience with a product or a supplier or a manufacturer was “EXACTLY THE SAME “ then product reviews and forums like this would lose a lot of their value .
The old adage “Don’t shoot the messenger “ is still being ignored.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:38 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Timber Wolf's Avatar
 
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Posts: 1,542
It is a small piece of steel welded to the axle and the floor framing. I replaced the axle in my Scamp and don’t see it as a big deal. I welded it to the axle and screwed it to the floor framing so I was not welding close to the wood floor. Do you want to make a 6 hour round trip or get somebody local?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:19 AM   #10
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Posts: 1,526
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Some people have problems with every one they deal with.
One might wonder where the problem lies with some if they have lots of problems in their lives?
With the Social Isolation we have been rewatching "Justified" and Rayland said, " If when you first get up and run into an A******* first thing he might be one, If you run into A********s all day long then it is more likely you are the one"
There is an implication in your post, intended or not, that I could be one of those people who have problems with every one I deal with. I resent the implication.
But I do have to wonder if someone makes such an unfounded implication if they are one of those you refer to as an A*******. Since I have not encountered anyone else today that even remotely falls into that category, then I guess your words after “first thing” may ring true. I have had zero problems with my current trailer, now 5 years old. And the manufacturer has never lied to me as two Scamp employees did when they told me my Fantastic fans shouldn’t be leaking because “they always put butyl tape on them.” Interestingly enough, it must have evaporated because it wasn’t there when I pulled them to stop them both from leaking. And my the electric trailer brakes were actually hooked up in my current trailer when I took delivery, unlike my Scamp which I had to connect the ground to the frame 15 miles down the road when someone pulled out in front of me and I had to lay on the brakes. So if you think I am an A******* for having a beef with Scamp, I hope you never have a problem with anyone.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:20 AM   #11
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Posts: 1,526
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If everyone’s experience with a product or a supplier or a manufacturer was “EXACTLY THE SAME “ then product reviews and forums like this would lose a lot of their value .
The old adage “Don’t shoot the messenger “ is still being ignored.
Thank you, Steve! You understand where I am coming from.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Posts: 2,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
There is an implication in your post, intended or not, that I could be one of those people who have problems with every one I deal with. I resent the implication.
But I do have to wonder if someone makes such an unfounded implication if they are one of those you refer to as an A*******. Since I have not encountered anyone else today that even remotely falls into that category, then I guess your words after “first thing” may ring true. I have had zero problems with my current trailer, now 5 years old. And the manufacturer has never lied to me as two Scamp employees did when they told me my Fantastic fans shouldn’t be leaking because “they always put butyl tape on them.” Interestingly enough, it must have evaporated because it wasn’t there when I pulled them to stop them both from leaking. And my the electric trailer brakes were actually hooked up in my current trailer when I took delivery, unlike my Scamp which I had to connect the ground to the frame 15 miles down the road when someone pulled out in front of me and I had to lay on the brakes. So if you think I am an A******* for having a beef with Scamp, I hope you never have a problem with anyone.
Sorry if you took offence.
My intent was just to share the thought.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #13
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Posts: 1,526
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Sorry if you took offence.
My intent was just to share the thought.
I took no offense; my skin is thick. I just responded to a post that was difficult to interpret as anything other than a not-so-subtle implication. And I easily forget suggestive comments. We both reside in Florida. If by chance we meet somewhere, I would offer you a beer or whatever you drink and sit and discuss whatever topic comes up, because by nature, I am definitely extroverted.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:56 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Posts: 2,091
Mostly I have had good experiences with Scamp and I have been enjoying binge watching "Justified" on Hulu and perhaps was carried away a little.
However for a number of years I was in business for myself and always considered that tried to provide the best service possible at a fair price, but there were customers that were more trouble than they were worth and I kept a list to remind me of those who fell into that category.
They were never happy, no matter what. Almost all of the others appreciated the service, however.
I found that often the jobs you don't take on are sometimes more important than those that you do.
By the way I have had about four Chrysler mini vans, including the 2016 I have now and got good service from each. However I only had one in a Chrysler dealer for service and that was a warranty torque converter replacement on a 1989.
I generally do my own work so I know who to blame if something goes wrong.
I rebuilt pretty much the whole Scamp (1985) including 1/2 the frame, axle and floor.
Scamp had the best price on the awning I could find and included the installation in that price. I figured that they had experience and the mounting brackets so ....
I also figured that they had a lot more experience in putting on the Scamp decals over my fresh paint job, so...
I am not as happy with the step which is a little too low, but that is the way they come and if it bothers me too much I will have to cut it off and take some metal out of the brackets and reweld it like I want it.
I think that for a small trailer built in a small town it is fairly good, but I would do some things differently, but they would cost even more then, so ...
By and large the quality control in most RVs leaves a lot top be desired, but then the Scamps do seem to hold their value pretty well, all things considered.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
FRED SMAILES's Avatar
 
Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Posts: 969
Registry
I didn't read all the posts but any reason for a road trip is a good reason in my books!
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:31 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
MB
Posts: 19
Good experience with Scamp

Hi. We have a 2016 19ft Scamp. The end of the 1st summer we had trouble with the fridge. The Dometic dealer here tried to fix it, gave up and left me high and dry. Scamp stepped up and replaced the fridge even though it was not their product or fault. A few weeks later that one stopped working. Again Scamp stepped up and replaced the fridge although it was not their fault. Scamp was fantastic to deal with and very accommodating. Dometic and the dealer were not. So much so I bash the dealer here when given the opportunity and will never buy another Dometic product if it can be avoided.
Mike255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Used Scamps in Backus, MN 56435 Kevin K Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 1 09-08-2011 02:36 PM
My Day at Scamp - Backus, MN barryra General Chat 3 07-28-2011 07:57 AM
Back from Backus and on to Newfoundland Sandy Christie General Chat 4 06-21-2010 12:30 PM
Back from Backus with 13 in tow Robert Scallan General Chat 4 04-04-2007 01:57 PM
Back from Backus with the new 13 barring General Chat 6 03-09-2007 06:19 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.