Would you ever go to a "Stick Built Camper" - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-18-2018, 08:16 PM   #101
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
Wife & I talked this over at length. WE have a 2018 Casita Independence Dlx 17'. We like it fine but would have probably dropped a few more bux for a 21 footer IF Casita made one. [Be nice to have 6" more width and a dinette full-time.] Liked the Oliver Legacy 21 footer but it was waay waay waay above my price range.
Check out the Escape 21. We like ours far more than we did our 17 Casita LD..

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #102

Name: Mike
Trailer: Winnebago
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
"Stick-built" and "stickie" are somewhat ambiguous terms. Originally they meant aluminum-skin-over-wood-frame construction, but on this site they have become a catch-all for anything that is not molded fiberglass.

There are many non-molded build types, some better than others. Even among "stickies" in the narrow sense, some are better than others. Taylor Coach comes to mind.

I value simplicity in a camper- simplicity of construction, operation, and maintenance. Most RV's- including some molded units- turn me off because they have so many mechanical systems to operate, maintain, and eventually repair (on top of stick-built seams to leak and framework to rot). Scamp has given me abundant simplicity inside a low-maintenance molded shell, with stand-up headroom and a place to sleep, lounge, and eat when the weather is bad. It's not perfect, but it's the best- for me, anyway- of any build type.

If a day comes when I no longer want to tow but still want to travel and camp, I could see myself in a very simple van camper. That's not a stick-built, either, except in the broadest catch-all sense.
Been a while since i responded in this forum, but wanted to comment on this topic.

We had been initially interested in ordering a Lil’ Snoozy, but long lead times, delivery across a long distance, cost, etc., made it prohibitive, for us.

We looked at Scamps and Casitas, and might have eventually gone that route, if we hadn’t run across a new Winnebago Winnie Drop 1710 that seemed to fit our needs.

It is fiberglass over an aluminum frame, so not molded. We’ve only camped with it twice, so far, and are planning an extended trip, in the Fall.

We are very happy with the quality and performance, so far.
Mike in WIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #103

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Yesterday, I checked out Heartlands (including Mallards).

Today I checked out the Winnebago Winnie Drop 1710 (previous post). It has possibilities. Note the interior pic may be a similar model. Similar to many eggs, very modern.

https://winnebagoind.com/products/tr...erior/graphics
Attached Thumbnails
winnedrop2_1780wd_btof_dinetteup.jpg  
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:12 PM   #104

Name: Annette
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Washington
We did, for two main reasons. First, I was tired of crawling over my husband to get out of bed. But the biggest reason is we wanted to be able to take several motorcycles with us. We bought a used 21' Desert Fox toy hauler, and then less than a year later, bought a used Stealth fifth wheel toy hauler. I still have my 16' Scamp, though. It's hard to give up.
apanchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #105

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Every time the sky threatens lightning, I think of the Farraday Cage advantage and think, gosh, maybe a metal trailer would be good...but then I think, "Nah."

Weight advantage, size advantage, space advantage inside...I actually got stuck inside an RPod, though that was 36 pounds ago...still, it was humiliating and a little scary. Unlikely there's anywhere in Peanut where I'll get stuck. Even the windows if I had to kick one out are big enough for me to crawl through and haul the girls with me.

BEST
Kai
Old 06-20-2018, 09:48 AM   #106

Name: Mike
Trailer: Winnebago
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Every time the sky threatens lightning, I think of the Farraday Cage advantage and think, gosh, maybe a metal trailer would be good...but then I think, "Nah."

Weight advantage, size advantage, space advantage inside...I actually got stuck inside an RPod, though that was 36 pounds ago...still, it was humiliating and a little scary. Unlikely there's anywhere in Peanut where I'll get stuck. Even the windows if I had to kick one out are big enough for me to crawl through and haul the girls with me.

BEST
Kai
Actually, I did some checking on that very subject, some time back, and trailers like mine with an aluminum frame covered by fiberglass panels would indeed act like a faraday cage, and would therefore be safe.

Also, I don’t know about Rpods, but our Winnebago Winnie Drop has an emergency exit window, large enough for an adult to exit through, should the need arise.

I suspect the law requires it, but I haven’t checked up on that.

Thunderstorms can be scary, in any kind of camper, especially if you’re parked near or under some trees.

Also, I would unplug my shore power to keep a massive electrical surge from coming through my wiring and frying my expensive electronics.

Next item on my agenda to purchase: 30-amp surge protector (~$200).
Mike in WIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #107

Registry
A surge protector...yeah, good idea.

"Little House Customs" online-- sells all kinds of things you might need for your fiberglass trailer (Casitas their specialty, but also "cousins")

On that site, I found this:

30 AMP SURGE PROTECTOR WITH BUILT IN FAULT DETECTION
We travel with 2 laptops, two cell phones and two printers and a scanner. Too much stuff, but that’s what it takes for us to stay in touch with our friends and customers while on the road. After seeing some campground electrical disasters, I decided it was time to protect our equipment from any electrical gremlins that might be lurking. This is the one we use now. It protects up to 835 joules and 22,500 amps. I don’t have to know what that means to like it. My electrical guru friends say that’s plenty and that’s good enough for me! But what I really like is the built-in wiring fault detector that lets you know what’s up with that crusty looking power pole you’re about to plug your precious Casita into. It gives LED indication of all possible wiring faults that may be present. About the only thing it won’t do for you is take the issue up with the campground manager!
RV Smart Surge Protector
$99.95
Add to Cart

Right; if Peanut had an aluminum frame inside, then it'd be the Farraday Cage, but it only has some wood framing around the windows and along the belly band. The rest is self-supporting fiberglass, not at all a proper lightning cage.

Kai
Old 06-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #108

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
A surge protector...yeah, good idea.

"Little House Customs" online-- sells all kinds of things you might need for your fiberglass trailer (Casitas their specialty, but also "cousins")

On that site, I found this:

[I]30 AMP SURGE PROTECTOR WITH BUILT IN FAULT DETECTION
We travel with 2 laptops, two cell phones and two printers and a scanner. Too much stuff, but that’s what it takes for us to stay in touch with our friends and customers while on the road. After seeing some campground electrical disasters, I decided it was time to protect our equipment from any electrical gremlins that might be lurking. This is the one we use now. It protects up to 835 joules and 22,500 amps. I don’t have to know what that means to like it. My electrical guru friends say that’s plenty and that’s good enough for me! But what I really like is the built-in wiring fault detector that lets you know what’s up with that crusty looking power pole you’re about to plug your precious Casita into. It gives LED indication of all possible wiring faults that may be present. About the only thing it won’t do for you is take the issue up with the campground manager!
RV Smart Surge Protector
$99.95
Add

Right; if Peanut had an aluminum frame inside, then it'd be the Farraday Cage, but it only has some wood framing around the windows and along the belly band. The rest is self-supporting fiberglass, not at all a proper lightning cage.

Kai
A surge protector will not stop damage from a lighting strike
I have replaced electrical services hit by lightning
The services were either melted or in some case blown right off the wall
There is a slow motion video by A W Chance that shows what happens when an electrical system is hit by lighting . Your trailer wiring doesn’t stand a chance
I have installed lightning protection on many farms and buildings and there is a lot more to it than a $40 surge protector
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:04 PM   #109

Registry
Well, sheesh! So--unplugging in a lightning storm is best? AND sitting in the car, a true Farraday cage? Not going to be able to metalize Peanut any time soon...

Kai

PS that particular surge protector was $99...the other poster mentioned a $200 one...good gravy! Where is Doctor Victor Frankenstein when you need him?
Old 06-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #110

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
note a faraday cage has to be properly grounded to function as such.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #111

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Perhaps you might want to ask that on the Airstream forum. You might get a bit of a different response.
well, the first post here says Airstream told them they should do it every 2 years. a guy a few posts later said he's been doing it every 5.
Reseal every two years? - Airstream Forums
Old 06-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #112

Registry
I thought a stick-built aluminum-clad or aluminum-framed trailer already functioned that way...or a car.

How do you ground a car? How do you ground a trailer, for that matter? Anyone who does that during a lightning storm?

Kai
Old 06-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #113

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
A few days ago I saw a story on TV, with photo, of a motor vehicle that was struck by lightning during a rain storm, and it caught on fire and burned up. Lightning is powerful stuff.

But you know what they say about the odds of being struck by lightning...
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:28 AM   #114

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
But you know what they say about the odds of being struck by lightning...
Yeah but they also say lightning never strikes the same place twice. That was shown to be incorrect since the conditions that make it possible for the lightning strike don't go away fast enough. So it actually is more likely for lightning to strike the same place twice, just in quick succession.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:42 PM   #115

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Youtube video shows a guy walking at night and is hit and knocked to the ground. He gets up and after a few steps, he was hit a second time.

dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:42 AM   #116

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
Hmmm......

We certainly have strayed far from the original purpose of this thread!

Frank
NASA42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:53 AM   #117

Mid Left Coast
hah, ya think?
Old 06-22-2018, 03:10 AM   #118

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Frank, You are correct. The topic has strayed. It may be easier to accept if you imagine the thread as a conversation around a campfire (beer optional).

Campfire conversations jump from topic to topic all the time, no beer necessary.

"Frank, did you hear that noise? Do you think it was a bear? Can you outrun a bear?"
"No, but I can outrun you."
"Do you think that bear wants a beer?"
"Do you remember which beer had: 'From the Land of Sky Blue Waters...?' "
"I do, '_ _ _ _ _, the beer refreshing.' "

PS, This beer had a bear doing it's ads.

It can stray just like that. I think I will put another log on the fire.

I have the keys to a new Oliver for the first person that names the beer [kidding].

Note: Before you ask, no, I haven't been drinking or smoking.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:47 AM   #119

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hamm's, and Tom, you can keep the keys to the Ollie....I'm not buying a bigger tug .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:57 AM   #120

Registry
Well done segue example!

Hamm's, indeed.

I know pugs who always wanted a beer...

And a terrier who desperately wanted to kill him a b'ar.

Conversation can veer back again, too.

Topic was, would you ever get a stick-built trailer. Answer: I don't foresee doing so, but it's hard to make predictions, especially about the future.

Kai