Would you ever go to a "Stick Built Camper" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Would you ever go to a "Stick Built Camper"

After owing a Casita the "stick built campers" no longer appeal to me, just that type of construction turns me off. For what I've seen the "Egg type campers" are truly a work of art and construction. Yes we pay more for fiberglass, but the cost is so little for what you get and the only main outside upkeep is lightly buff and wax once a year and your trailer will have to look of new for a long time. That's one good days work once a year for a lifetime of looks and value. I think the saying, "You pay for what you get" still applies today and campers are included in this saying.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #2

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I am considering going to a "stick built". Have a Casita 17' SD. I think it is too small, not comfortable. Wife likes it ok.

Stick builts are ok, just have to do a bit more maintenance. Friends have them.

Trying to get wife to ok purchase of an Airstream.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'll never say never, but at this point I cannot imagine a possible future scenario that includes a conventionally-constructed RV.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
No and I also avoid mean dogs, distracted drivers, and tornadoes!
John
Old 06-11-2018, 09:10 AM   #5

Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
If you want a bigger floor plan but not a stick built take a look at Escape, Oliver and Bigfoot. Bigfoot to me seems like their floors plans on the 25' more closely resemble a stick built floor plan but with all the benefits of an egg camper. If I were to get something besides ours I would seriously look at the Bigfoots.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Sure. Let's say the Dr. tells me I have six months to live, and I want to enjoy it. Who wants to wait while it is built? Who cares about resale? I suppose I'd finance it too.

My Dr. did tell me, "I have bad news, and worse news."
I said, "Really, what's the bad news?"
Dr: "The bad news is you only have one day to live."
I said, "What could be worse?"
Dr: "I meant to tell you yesterday"

Ok, seriously, there are circumstances that warrant a more disposable trailer. Or maybe you don't want to wait 8 months for delivery.

There are some brands that are built better. Maybe not from Elkhart. There are also some interesting designs: larger T@bs, Little Guys, perhaps.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We did and we're cack. We upgraded from the Casita to a class A because of the crawl-over issue and because my wife wanted to snowbird. After 4 years, I bought the Campster and we decided that we would rather camo than resort, so eee sold the motor home.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
If you want a bigger floor plan but not a stick built take a look at Escape, Oliver and Bigfoot. Bigfoot to me seems like their floors plans on the 25' more closely resemble a stick built floor plan but with all the benefits of an egg camper. If I were to get something besides ours I would seriously look at the Bigfoots.
Been to Oliver factory, to theEscape factory and inspected Big Foot products. Of these only Big Foot is a possibility, but don't really like the floor plan and don't like the history of the Big Foot, don't trust them. And I don't really like SOBs (Stick Built = SOB = Square Old Box or Some Other Brand) so that leaves Airstream.

I really like the Airstream 25FB Twin and the 28' floorpans. No slides is a big plus, but don't like the wide body and the quality is not as good as you would think.

Bought my Casita new, had 2 issues: TV mount was bolted on backwards (took me months to realize this), clamps holding the sink basin in were loose and a door latch was somewhat messed up. That's it. Can't ask for better than that, and don't expect this high level of quality in an Airstream, if we do ever get one.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:50 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
YES !!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #10

Name: Deb
Trailer: Casita SD-17
Chicago, Illinois
Registry
An Airstream hardly qualifies as a "stick built" camper.
DebCost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #11

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
stick built for me? no way! i researched rvs for years, learned how poorly stick builts are assembled, how much they depreciate once you drive them away from the dealership, the leaks encountered by owners. they certainly won't last the 30 yrs that fiberglass trailers do. wouldn't take one if it was given to me free. i've chatted with airstream owners who report the quality of theirs has decreased as well, sure not what they used to be.
if my casita ever doesn't work for me anymore (& i sure don't see that happening, been full timing since 2014 & love this trailer), i would chose another casita length/floor plan or consider other fiberglass trailers, escape, bigfoot, oliver, scamp etc.
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #12

Tennessee
Airstream is not molded fiberglass, therefore is SOB: Some Other Brand.

However, it does have an aluminum framework over which a metal skin is attached to...not much different than other trailer fabrications/methods, so to me it is a stick built. But for sure it is not square. And it is expensive.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #13

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
YES !!!
Can they leak any more than a FB?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
"Stick-built" and "stickie" are somewhat ambiguous terms. Originally they meant aluminum-skin-over-wood-frame construction, but on this site they have become a catch-all for anything that is not molded fiberglass.

There are many non-molded build types, some better than others. Even among "stickies" in the narrow sense, some are better than others. Taylor Coach comes to mind.

I value simplicity in a camper- simplicity of construction, operation, and maintenance. Most RV's- including some molded units- turn me off because they have so many mechanical systems to operate, maintain, and eventually repair (on top of stick-built seams to leak and framework to rot). Scamp has given me abundant simplicity inside a low-maintenance molded shell, with stand-up headroom and a place to sleep, lounge, and eat when the weather is bad. It's not perfect, but it's the best- for me, anyway- of any build type.

If a day comes when I no longer want to tow but still want to travel and camp, I could see myself in a very simple van camper. That's not a stick-built, either, except in the broadest catch-all sense.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:28 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
The articfox 25w could tempt me when we decide to go larger than our 13' scamp some day
the_fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #16

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Sure and I have too,a few times.

I am not talking about Wooden Stick though I am talking about a Cargo Trailer built of Steel & Aluminum and finished out by me and started with a "Blank Canvas" to do as I think I need.

As Jon just said there are times when I want to just camp simply and not have all the things aboard that most have or maybe need to haul & camp at the same time or just want to "Stealth" camp and not look like I am camping at all!

Mine is just 10' long but square and it is crazy how much more roomy it feels inside too.

I have the Casita still but also really am liking my own creation and she does not leak at all so far.

Can't seem to post pics right now either?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #17

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
Trainman you should watch this video before making the jump.

dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #18

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I’ve had molded fiberglass since 2012. Also had a 35 ft stickie that I just sold. Used the stickie two winters. Have spent three winters in my Fiberglass and will spend the upcoming winter in it. All done with stickies.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #19

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
If the circumstances were right, yes, I'd consider having a SOB trailer. It wouldn't be the first time, either.

For now, I'm camping with the Hauley. Got a nice carpet remnant for $20 to cover the floor; it makes the interior much more homelike.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #20

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Its really not surprising on a forum like this you are not going to find much love for a stickie. Its kind of like going on a Ford forum and asking about Chrysler vehicles.

Many of us have had less than good experience with stickies, others just like fiberglass better.

Ourselves, we had an Alpenlite fifth wheel for a number of years. Not a stickie, but not a molded trailer either. Aluminum frame with composite solid walls. They went out of business during the financial meltdown.

We liked our Alpenlite, loved the floorplan too, but decided to go smaller this time.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote