Would You Share Your Experiences With 12 Volt TV's? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-30-2014, 06:40 AM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Would You Share Your Experiences With 12 Volt TV's?

Hello Everybody,
Well, just came out of a very bad cold snap here in NY...temps today up to 21 degrees - yoo hoo! I'm writing to see if anybody would be willing to share their experiences and/or make a recommendation for a 12 volt ac dc tv.
I'm going to get a 15" for my 13' Scamp (15.4 or 15.6, whatever they call it). The brands I've seen in ac dc are:

Skyworth, Supersonic, Naxa, Axess, RCA, Quantum.

I would appreciate your replies with what your opinions are. Most of the drawbacks I've seen online are sound volume/quality and viewing angle problems. How 'bout you?

Happy Thursday,
Wendy (CampyTime)
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #2

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Wendy..... I don't have a one in my Uhaul but I do have a small one with a 7 inch screen in my tear drop and it works great. 7 years and I never had a problem with it. If I was going to by a new one I would look at a web sight that soled supply's to over the road trucks they usually have the most durable stuff.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I got the Naxa from amazon with built in dvd player, real pleased with the picture and sound.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Wendy,

I'd go out to Amazon and read the reviews. I read the reviews for Naxa and there are more than enough to get a broad view from existing users.

Our approach was to purchase an AC only 21" TV. If we want to run it on DC we use a small cigarette lighter inverter.

WE've had two LCD TVs over 13 years and both handles extensive road travel very well.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Our approach was to purchase an AC only 21" TV. If we want to run it on DC we use a small cigarette lighter inverter.

WE've had two LCD TVs over 13 years and both handles extensive road travel very well.
The last time I looked into this I came to the conclusion that an AC powered TV with a converter worked out best. The cost was less and the availability of TVs to choose from was far greater. The trick was finding a good converter. The first one I purchased was too noisy.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #6

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I have the
Insignia™ - 19" Class (18-1/2" Diag.) - LED - 720p - 60Hz - HDTV
Works perfect on 12 volt.
Insignia 19" Class 1812" Diag. LED 720p 60Hz HDTV NS-19E310A13 - Best Buy
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clean 011.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	67952
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I suggest fergetting the AC/DC TV's. They cost more and are almost never a brand name. Two easier and less expensive choices are:

1. As mentioned, buy a good 15" flat screen that has good reviews and run it off of a small inverter. We run a 24" flat screen w/DVD player off of one without problems.

2. Look around the back of all the 15" sets you are interested in until you find one with a plug-in power supply. Most of these run native on 12VDC. The VIZIO in our Hunter is such a set. You can also check these out on-line. If there is a back view, and it doesn't have a power cord attached, it's a good bet for 12VDC operation. Sets that have a input specification for 100-240VAC also usually use a universal power supply with 12VDC output.

And WHAT.... Someone has licensed the RCA name to sell TV sets?????

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
My TV is a 19 in RCA LCD with DVD purchased from London Drugs in Alberta for $130 Cdn (that is about $117 US).
Features include:

- 110V AC or 12V DC
- DVD player
- audio and video in
- digital audio out
- USB port
- hdmi port
- <35W power consumption
- PC audio and video ports
- antenna connection
- headphone port
- mounting holes on back

It was a great deal for me. Plugs into the 12V outlet in my Escape.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
There are many TV's that don't advertise the fact that they run off 12VDC. Typically they have a power brick that plugs into 120VDC, but the brick outputs 12VAC. I think the one in my travel van is an RCA. Not a great brand, but I picked it up for less then $100. I lost the brick, but since I only use it in the van, no biggy.

Just go to your local Best Buy, and look at the TV's on display. The power bricks usually specify output voltage. The sales man might think it a bit odd that you are looking behind the TV's, but so what?

There may be a potential problem with this. The voltage in a car varies, depending on whether it is running or not. When running it may be as high as 14.5 VDC. This is not a problem with the TV I use, but potentially it might be for other TV's.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #10

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
You really don't have to look for a tv that states it will run on AC and DC. If you're using it in a 12VDC environment, that's all you need it to run on. If 110VAC is available, even better, it will be recharging your batteries while running your tv through the charger/converter.

I have used several Jensen brand tvs. These are made for RV's and run on 12 volts.

12 Volt Television - Jensen 12v LCD TV for RV

The reliability and picture quality is remarkable. Check sources other than above for better prices.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #11

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I've had a 13" Naxa with a built in DVD player for about 5 years.
It's 110 or 12V.
Have never had a problem.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:10 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Bought a 15" Seiki 16:9 LED, 1360 pixel x 768 pixel, and runs on AC and DC cords. Comes with an HDMI cable and a remote and cost $79.99 at London Drugs. ( plus $20 environment fee and taxes here in BC ).
Picture and sound are better than the Insignia that the kid took to university.
I have an equally cheap 7" DVD player that I can plug into the TV for movies, but I'm sure a combo unit isn't that much more money.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #13

Florida
What's a $20 environment fee for a TV?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #14

The environment fee pays for recycling. All appliances have a charge applied at the point of sale to try to keep stuff out of the land fill.
We also have bottle deposit, but in that case you pay a fee upon purchase and get it back when you bring the empties back. Keeps them out of ditches.
Also have recycling fee on batteries, tires, etc.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #15

Trailer: 85 U-Haul 13 ft
Registry
I also have a Naxa. 12volt/110 with built in dvd. Never had a problem. I is light enough I was able to use large suction cups to hang on wall of uhaul.
stephanie reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #16

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
The environment fee pays for recycling. All appliances have a charge applied at the point of sale to try to keep stuff out of the land fill.
We also have bottle deposit, but in that case you pay a fee upon purchase and get it back when you bring the empties back. Keeps them out of ditches.
Also have recycling fee on batteries, tires, etc.
Glenn,

Who gets the $20, the state or the recycler?

Thank you, interested how things work.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #17

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
You really don't have to look for a tv that states it will run on AC and DC. If you're using it in a 12VDC environment, that's all you need it to run on. If 110VAC is available, even better, it will be recharging your batteries while running your tv through the charger/converter.

I have used several Jensen brand tvs. These are made for RV's and run on 12 volts.

12 Volt Television - Jensen 12v LCD TV for RV

The reliability and picture quality is remarkable. Check sources other than above for better prices.

OMG: Those are expensive....

For those prices you can buy 2 or 3 flat screen TV's that work on 120 VAC and a small plug in inverter to go with each one of them. Or at least two flat screen TV's that have external power supplies that will work on both voltages.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:32 PM   #18

The fee goes to the government which uses it to subsidize recycling ( companies ) and programs.
Also have recycling fee on paint, oil and I don't know what else. I take old paint cans to a recycling depot and drop them off, instead of pouring them down the sewer. Works for me, and the fish.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #19

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Thank you for all the replies to my post about the TV. I'm sorry it took so long to write back, but a long day at work and a longer evening carting my kids around!

I think I need to clarify, as I really didn't state why I wanted a 12 V TV. I only have one electrical outlet in my scamp, and didn't want it taken up with a tv/plug. The previous owner installed a 12 V connector (is that what it's called?) I just figured since that is sitting there, why not plug a 12V TV into it so I don't use up my outlet space with another electrical cord? Lord knows my kids will want their cell phones plugged in 24/7. I guess that's why I looked for a 12 V TV. Steve Outlaw, I want to understand your reply, but I really don't have enough knowledge. I won't be "hard wiring" the TV...I really don't understand what you mean because I simply don't have the experience.

Do the Jensen TV's come with a car cord adapter? I guess that's what I'm looking for...again so I won't have to use the electrical outlet "space." Also happy to buy a regular TV that would run off 12V...that's why I posted this thread, so I could learn about some brand names that would work.

I really don't want to go beyond 15" or so, as I have a Scamp 13, and don't want the TV bigger than the trailer...Ha Ha!

Sincerely,
Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #20

From previous post: Bought a 15" Seiki 16:9 LED, 1360 pixel x 768 pixel, and runs on AC and DC cords ( supplied ).