Would you want a three burner stove? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-15-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Would you want a three burner stove?

The other day I had a conversation with the folks who build the Trillium trailer in California. I told them the only two things I would change are the bed size and the three burner stove. It's a very nice stove sink combo that I believe is made by SMEV/Dometic. In fact it is a big improvement over the Atwood we had in our old rig. But short of full timing it in a 40 ft land yacht, I can't imagine us needing any more than two burners. I'm curious, if the cost were the same are there folks who would prefer (i.e. use) a three burner stove? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have a two burner in our Casita. The problem with our two burner is that the burners are too close together. They should be offset from each other.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: P. Raz...The debate over 2 vs. 3 burners has to do with space. We have a 3 burn. and have on rainy occasions had to use all 3 for dinner. The small groove between the sink and stove top isn't hardly big enough to hold a spoon...but I'd still rather have the larger cook top. We also have the optional hinged cover.
My daughter bought me a wonderful tray with removeable sauce cups, spoon rest, cutting board and silly cone feet to carry to n fro the BBQ. It just so happens to be exactly the same size as the stove cover and sits there all the time now. I really love multi use items in a small space!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have a 3 burner and I fulltime...but not in a huge rig :-P

Since I am without hook ups most of the time, I leave my coffee pot on the back burner all the time. I find it very handy, leaving the other two front burners open without having to shuffle items to use the two I generally need for every meal.

I had a 4 burner in the motorhome, I don't think I ever had 4 going at once, but 3 or 4 takes the same amount of counter space, so it was not an issue, really.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #5

Trailer: Aliner
I have a 3 burner stove in the Aliner, and have used all of the burners when cooking dinner before.

It's nice, but certainly not an essential.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I just want an oven.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I think the only time we use more than two burners even at our house is Thanksgiving or Christmas, when we have family visiting.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I have a 4 burner and an oven, and I use them all. Usually 3 burners, to fit my pots on.

we cook a lot inside in rainy or cold weather.
joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
We seldom cook in the trailer except in really bad weather. Two burners works just fine. Sometimes you do have to juggle things a bit to keep all the pots happy.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
as good as an oven, almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
I just want an oven.
Our Boler has three burners, no oven.

We bought a Cobb (I've raved about it here in the past). It was originally designed for Africa (corn cob was is the usual fuel) to cut down on the amount of fuel (and therefore smoke) needed to cook. Six coals get you roast chicken with spuds and carrots.

PRO: Set it on the picnic table outside, the base stays relatively cool.
CON: Sorry, no pan scrapings for gravy: ashes get in the bottom.

PRO: Medium pizza fits.
CON: Large pizza too big.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Hi Liz, I have been cooking with a Nuwave Oven at my house for a few years now and so has my best friend. When we get our trailer I plan to purchase another Nuwave just for the trailer. They are awesome and work just as well as the infomercial says. The best part is they dont heat up my kitchen in the summer and clean up is really easy. I cant believe how much fat drips off what I thought were "lean" burgers. You could set it on a picnic table outside if you like as long as the cord reaches an electric outlet. You dont have to go through the website any longer to order, Kohls has them and I think I saw Kmart has them as does Amazon. My folks are getting one for their 5th wheel. Here is the "official" website just for info. I probably wouldn't order from there though b/c they always want to sell you add'l stuff and sell your info to other commercial interests. I have no affliation with the product or site but am really happy with the product!

Nuwave Oven - Official Site - www.mynuwaveoven.com

Quote:
I just want an oven.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I could easily use a third burner. I am so cramped for space with only two burners and no where to set hot pots and pans that I feel forced to cook outdoors. Never thought I would want an oven, but yep, I do.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:16 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It has more to do with how YOU cook, than how we cook. Most outdoor Coleman-type stoves are two burners. Did you tent camp and use one? Maybe you hauled along a gas barbeque? I don't think you'd be sorry to have three burners tho. Whatever you get you'll probably want to have or build a stove top cover. The one in my trailer is homemade out of wood and covers the entire stove top. Once covered, it makes the entire counter usable. It's strong enough I can put the flexible plastic cutting board on it and chop celery! I'm not sure I'd want to do that with a metal cover...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking We have 3 burners and 2 ovens

Quote:
I just want an oven.
Robert is a "foodie" and an excellent cook. The Fiber Stream has a 3 burner range with a gas oven and we added a convection/microwave oven above the refrigerator. I've witnessed him using all of them during the preparation of one meal.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Trillium 13 ft (California-made)
Registry
Raz and my in-camper cooking habits are pretty much limited to breakfast and an occasional pot o'soup. The 3-burner (with a great hinged cover) in our 2010 Trillium is very nice but a bit of overkill for our habits.

We were just curious to see how many people regularly utilize 3-burners. It's fun to read how different we all are! And that is what makes our world go 'round.

From snowy Vermont ...
Maggie
Old 02-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Actually I would prefer a "one-burner" about half the size of the "two-burner" which is now causing wasted space in my Scamp.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Go Robert! As I keep telling people, I like to bake things. Cookies, cakes, lasagna, breakfast casseroles, roasted veggies, pizza...someday I will have an oven in a dual axle bigfoot or a 25ft rear bedroom!!!

As for the other suggestions I have looked at the Cobb set up and I would love to see one in person, the Nuwave oven has to have power and frequently we dry camp. Running it with the generator would work but doesn't seem practical.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #18

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I lit the 2 burner in my Boler just to see if it worked, it did and it got real warm real quick. 2 is plenty for me.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Quote:
... As I keep telling people, I like to bake things.
As for the other suggestions I have looked at the Cobb set up and I would love to see one in person, the Nuwave oven has to have power and frequently we dry camp. Running it with the generator would work but doesn't seem practical.
Hubby proudly sent me a pic of the small roast with veg he had cooked in the Cobb when he took the Boler on a business trip (nicer to stay by the lake and sit by a fire than eat fried food then watch the tube) but I can't find the photo now.

However, the pics attached from the Cobb website are true enough -- other than that our Cobb was that sparkling clean for hmmm, a good two or three campouts at most. The small central bbq pit at the bottom holds the coals and helps concentrate the heat around and up.

We have had to add more coals half-way through, if it's an especially big roast or dense bird. That can be tricky, to shift the meat to get at the coal pit.

And, like I said, even though the lovely drippings fall in the well, it's impossible to strain out the coal ashes, so no gravy!

We don't use power when camping, so the Cobb is a slow-roast alternative to a big hot wood or coal BBQ when you need chicken pieces or steaks you can turn over the flames or move to the edges of the fire.

If you go on a long trip and are sick of BBQ outside or boiled/fried inside, it's a beautiful thing to have a roast. Read a book, keep your feet up.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cobb pics.pdf (119.4 KB, 24 views)
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #20

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
I replaced the newer 2 burner cook-top with a 3 burner range. I frequently have all three going. I use the oven, too - Actually baked a Papa Murphy's pizza, mmmmmm pizza.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote