Yeah For Me! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2007, 05:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Cool

When one is so new to trailers, someone has to tell you how to hook the darn thing up; what happens the first time you hitch up by your lonesome?

Nothing!
Nadda!
Didn't break, bend or drop anything.

Lessons learned:

Try not to do this the first time in 100+ heat.
Remember, leveling jacks hold the trailer in place. Remove prior to trying to position the tongue.
Backing mirror can also be used to view the underside of the hitch to make sure everything hooked up.

One tiny question:

When will I quit being terrified? Kept waiting for something to drop or explode.

Anyhow, the PP is now at Camper Exchange for need look see and repairs. Door handle came in so, when I get it back, I'll be able to start on the inside.

Bonnie
Old 08-08-2007, 05:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
When will I quit being terrified? Kept waiting for something to drop or explode.
Not sure, when you find out, let me know too!

Glad your first hook up went well! You can also crank your jack stand up after you hook up to check the connection was made (tow vehicle should go up too)
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Like everything else in life, the key is practice; the more you use your trailer, the more familiar it will become. Soon, you will only occasionally be terrified....
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #4

Thank goodness! Occasional terror is soooo much easier to live with.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Kristen Beck Send a message via Yahoo to Kristen Beck
Bonnie i can totally relate. My husband and I were going to go on an overnight stay and while he was at work in the morning my duty was to pack the scamp and get her ready. so, up with the chickens, I commenced the packing, then went on to the washing of the wee scamp. Then I decided to hook her up. I backed it right into place although it took about 10 trips in and out of the Honda to go 4 inches. I'm sure the neighbors thought I was nuts. But, I got it hooked up, checked the signals, placed my twenty pound cat on the brake pedal to check those lights. She will do anything for a snack! Just kidding, cats don't do anything you ask them to. Had to check the brake lights when husband got home. But to my amazement and my husbands it was hooked up perfectly! I have also decided that i will be the one driving the scamp around. I love my husband dearly but his driving scares me, so He is the official navigator now and I get to be the captain, all is well with the world! Now backing the beast up is another story, Neal is in charge of that trainwreck!

Good luck and Happy trails

kris
Medford oregon
Kristen Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Compact II
Thumbs up

Bonnie< Are you the same Bonnie who came to look at our compact II. If so Congragulations on your trailer. I know where the camper exchange is I drive past it all the time.
Sounds like you are coming along on its use. They are fun. We are heading ou this weekend.
Dennis Theurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Bonnie< Are you the same Bonnie who came to look at our compact II. If so Congragulations on your trailer. I know where the camper exchange is I drive past it all the time.
Sounds like you are coming along on its use. They are fun. We are heading ou this weekend.

That's me. I'm excited. Alot to learn yet. I'm itching to camp. May just load up and act like the Play Pac is a tent.

Have fun this weekend.

Bonnie
Old 08-09-2007, 04:13 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I think the day that you do forget to say;
lower the rear jacks and try to lift tongue that added inch and wrench you back...
try to drive off with wheel chocks still in place....
These are the 2 things that I did and other then a sore back no harm but now I do the following:
Take last walk around trailer to make sure elec & water is unhooked and caps secure, jacks up & locked, chocks put away, awning, hatches windows and door secured.
Then pull ahead and check where trailer was parked for any leveling blocks or missing toys or what-ever.
Check that lights work and mirors adjusted then off you go.
After making a few minor mistakes as I did your more careful and it will become second nature.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:02 AM   #9

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:

On my first tow (other than pulling it home after purchase) home, I discovered after driving who knows how far down the freeway (in the carpool lane) my door hinge had come off and the door was just hanging there! Needless to say, after my heart rate came back to the semi normal range, I duct taped it shut and crawled home. I have never been completely relaxed since. I guess a bit nervous keeps me on my toes. A friend of mine was towing a small utility trailer full of bar-b-ques home on the road from Whistler to Vancouver this past weekend after competing in a contest. The trailer came unhooked.....I was very curious to hear what happened because it is always on my mind. She said the safety chains did their job, she knew immediately because the trailer started swaying, ALOT, the tongue never touched the ground and when the brakes of the car were applied, the trailer did BANG into the tow rig. The good news was it hit below the bumper on the hitch bar. No damage to the car. It was really fortunate that it happened where they were and not on the freeway. They had failed to do the lift test (after hook up lift up on the trailer to make sure the tow rig goes up with it).
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I had a similar incident last time out.I failed to secure leg of awning and when going down highway i noticed leg almost straight out from trailer side.I was lucky it didnt hit a post sign or something similar.It had to have been out only a min or so.It pays to double check.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:39 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
One tiny question:

When will I quit being terrified? Kept waiting for something to drop or explode...
Terror doesn't help the relaxation value of recreational travel , but I think a little fear is healthy , to keep you from becoming too complacent about the important little details, such as getting the trailer hooked up correctly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:03 AM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
Terror is watching your son drive off with the trailer for the first time ever.....

I'll have my fingers, and toes crossed all weekend!

Any my eyes crossed examining it when it returns...
scott fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:25 AM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Never totally relax.. thats what keeps us safe! I am confident when I tow, but I am certainly not relaxed.

Things like backing etc are less dangerous than hurdling down the highway. Highway can kill us, Backing can only cause embarrassment and maybe some financial damage, but folks stress in the opposite direction! We pay more attention when backing.. but get cavalier when towing at 70 mph +. (I stick to 60, thanks!)

You will get COMFORTABLE with it quickly.. but.. never relax!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:32 AM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
I think practice is the only answer.

My gf recently acquired her Class A CDL. She is licensed to drive a big rig tractor and trailer combination. She's licensed, she's new and she's scared. The BIG confidence building event for her came when we took the Fiber Stream to the mountains for a weekend. I had never been to the cabin that we were supposed to camp next to with the trailer in tow. We drove up the narrow mountain road and realized that the many, many sharp road curves meant that backing down with vision was impossible. A rock slide at the end of our journey meant turning around as we had expected to do was also not possible. One of us had to get out, walk behind the trailer and yell to the rear-blind driver, "Trailer left. Trailer right. Trailer straight." as appropriate the entire length of the road. I also made her back up and hook it up a few unnecessary to get it through her head that she could do it. My little 16ftr was her first towing experience. She said the whole ordeal made her more poised and confident when she was told to back up and hook up a 53' trailer to her tractor for the first time.

So in short, once you've done it you know you can do it. That takes the edge off subsequent efforts. AND THEN, if someone finds a bigger trailer in the inchitis hat it won't be any more intimidating to you than what you've already done.

Yeah, for you!
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:21 PM   #15

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. All.

I am encouraged by your kind words. I towed for the third time today; while bringing the PP home from Camper Exchange. I did feel more confident.

Bonnie
Old 08-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 1974 Compact II
Bonnie. I am so glad for you. It never hurts to be careful. I like the other comments. It is true to never get to comfortable. One suggestion is to try it out at home for your first timecamping. That way you can make a list of things you need. And get comfortable using the trailer. Then start out on small trips.
It is so much fun we love especially fall trips. It was so hot and this weekend the circle we were camping in the electric went out. So no air conditioner. or light or fans or anything. After several hours they were able to get it fixed.
Dennis Theurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:57 PM   #17

Quote:
It is so much fun we love especially fall trips. It was so hot and this weekend the circle we were camping in the electric went out. So no air conditioner. or light or fans or anything. After several hours they were able to get it fixed.
It was over 100 degrees F here. I can't imagine being in a trailer w/o any sort of cooling right now. Whew!

Will do the first night at the house; easier to get what I forget.

Won't be for a couple of weeks, though. I still need to get the insides worked up. I'm busy through this next week, too.

Will keep everyone posted.

Bonnie