Yet another towing question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2007, 03:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 1982 13 ft Scamp
Newbie here; I haven’t bought anything yet…I’m still in the data gathering stage. I have a Subaru Baja with a towing capacity of 2400 lbs (with brakes), but the only hitch I can find that fits is a Class I with a capacity of 2000 lbs. I’ve read some past posts on the difference between hitch classes and got the impression that hitch class doesn’t matter as much, just as long as you’re well within the towing capacity (I was planning on keeping my future setup under 1700 lbs all inclusive)…then again, I noticed that I’ve never heard anyone mention that they have a Class I hitch; seems like y’all either have a II or even III. Should I just simply rule out a class I altogether? If so, is there any advice on locating a Class II for a 2003 Baja?
Greg Yother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I had U-Haul install my hitch but I think they also sell them. Check with them. They were half the price of anyone else I contacted.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Gina had a Class I hitch on her Element when she towed the 13' Burro.

I think the biggest drawback to a Class I, is the lack of accessories for it....bicycle carriers, etc.

U-Haul, by far installs more hitches than anyone...have you checked with them?

Looks like Bobbie and I were typing at the same time

BTW: Welcome to FiberglassRV Greg
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
(I was planning on keeping my future setup under 1700 lbs all inclusive)…then again, I noticed that I’ve never heard anyone mention that they have a Class I hitch;
I have a class I hitch on my vehicle, my trailer GVW is 1500lbs, so I wouldn't need over 2000lbs anyway.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:12 PM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We have a number of folks here who tow or have towed with a Subaru of one variety or another... I'm sure they'll step up shortly!

Oh, JAAAACK!!!! A little please?

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #6

Quote:
U-Haul, by far installs more hitches than anyone...have you checked with them?

Yeah, U-Haul only has the same old Class I hitch. Hrmph. But at least now I know other folks have made out OK with it.

Thanks for the warm welcome Donna; I've "lurked" this site for a while, and now I look forward to being a member of the friendliest and most helpful site I've encountered...this is the epitomy of what the internet SHOULD be.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:04 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
If I were really sure I would never tow anything over 2000 lb, I would be happy with a Class 1 hitch; however, why limit a tow vehicle capable of towing 2400 lb to only 2000 lb? I would keep looking for a Class 2 or Class 3 hitch.

While the hitch class as defined by SAE only dictates the trailer weight capacity, there are some common practices in the towing industry associated with each class. Class 3 hitches usually (almost always) have a 2" square receiver socket to accept the part that holds the ball, or other accessories such as bike racks. Class 2 hitches (such as mine) normally (most commonly, but certainly not always) have a 1.25" square socket, for which there is a narrower choice of ball mounts and accessories. A Class 1 hitch could have a 1.25" square socket, a smaller square socket, a rectangular socket, or even a fixed bar with a hole for the ball to bolt in (that last one is really undesirable).

A hitch of a higher class than necessary might be excessively heavy or bulky. The Class 3 hitches for my van hang an inch or so lower than my Class 2 hitch, which matters in my case.

I would be sure to get a 1.25" or 2" square receiver, regardless of weight class.

The Baja is pretty rare. If I had one, I would try to get it beside a Legacy/Outback, get down on the ground, and compare the hitch mounting area... if by luck it is the same then lots more hitches are available; if not, then it may just be too obscure for the hitch makers to have produced the right product for it.

And I found U-Haul to be about the same price as anyone else. It's a pretty competitive industry, at least around here.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:38 PM   #8

Quote:
If I were really sure I would never tow anything over 2000 lb, I would be happy with a Class 1 hitch; however, why limit a tow vehicle capable of towing 2400 lb to only 2000 lb?

Oh good heavens, I wholeheartedly agree! But alas, it seems like I've searched sooo many places and turned up nothing but class 1's (but I ain't givin' up quite yet).

But I will take your advice and check the undersides of some Legacys/Outbacks . Thanks!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #9

Sidenote:

One interesting thing I've found while searching multiple sites trying to get the lowest price for this class 1 hitch: I've obtained a part # and did a search on it. Vast majority of sites rate it at 2000 lbs. But on a couple of eBay auctions, that same hitch...the same part# and everything...is listed as rated at 2400 lbs. Isn't that criminally negligent? Just another example of taking anything you read on the internet with a grain of salt. Buyer Beware!
Old 04-10-2007, 07:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Oh good heavens, I wholeheartedly agree! But alas, it seems like I've searched sooo many places and turned up nothing but class 1's (but I ain't givin' up quite yet).

But I will take your advice and check the undersides of some Legacys/Outbacks . Thanks!
Having had more than one hitch place try and install the wrong hitch on my Outback what I can tell you without a doudt is that all models of Subaru's use very different hitches as the underside design of the Subaru's are *very* different between models. For example the hitch used on the Outback Station wagon vs the Outback Sport are not at all close in design. Also an Outback wagon hitch will not fit a Legacy wagon .... wish I could give you more positive info on that front.

If your owners manual calls for a Class I I doudt you will find anyone who makes a Class II that fits your car, you may have to have one custom made.

Carol
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Sidenote:

One interesting thing I've found while searching multiple sites trying to get the lowest price for this class 1 hitch: I've obtained a part # and did a search on it. Vast majority of sites rate it at 2000 lbs. But on a couple of eBay auctions, that same hitch...the same part# and everything...is listed as rated at 2400 lbs. Isn't that criminally negligent? Just another example of taking anything you read on the internet with a grain of salt. Buyer Beware!

Uh oh, boy is my face red.

I see where the 2000 versus 2400 discrepancy is. It's 2000 for an automatic, and 2400 for a manual.

The my next question is: Why would the same hitch be rated higher with a manual tranny?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:27 PM   #12

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Why would the same hitch be rated higher with a manual tranny?
My all-wheel-drive Santa Fe has a 300lbs lower tow capacity than the non-AWD version (2400lbs AWD vs 2700lbs FWD). Part of the difference is due to the 200lbs the AWD unit adds to the overall weight of the truck, the rest is due to the reduced pulling capacity of the AWD transmission vs the non-AWD version.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:16 AM   #13

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Hey Greg,
Sadly I'm not a Subaru owner myself, so I can only give you input from my experience in buying and installing the hitch on my CRV. When I was shopping (my vehicle has a 1500lb capacity I believe) I found several different Class 1 styles, the flat plate insert style, and the solid tube (1 1/2" I believe?) style. I truly understand what some of the previous posts have mentioned, how the Class 1 styles like that have VERY limited accessories for them. I LUCKED out and was able to find a Class 2 hitch for my CRV that, while WAY more beefy of a hitch than I needed, accepts the standard 2" square tube inserts. So while Im in my weight capacity, I have the option for other accessories like bike racks or things like that. Plus if I lose my insert, or it gets stolen or something, it's a LOT easier to replace vs. some oddball Class 1 thing. Just a little insight...
Im curious, have you checked for any Baja owners websites? I found a CRV owner's website where I've done a lot of question asking and research, cause usually you're not the first person on the planet to have had certain questions to ask, or have tried to do something to their vehicle before... Just a suggestion...
Good luck on your hunt bro!
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:03 AM   #14

Quote:
My all-wheel-drive Santa Fe has a 300lbs lower tow capacity than the non-AWD version (2400lbs AWD vs 2700lbs FWD). Part of the difference is due to the 200lbs the AWD unit adds to the overall weight of the truck, the rest is due to the reduced pulling capacity of the AWD transmission vs the non-AWD version.

I understand why the vehicle would be rated higher, but I'm confused as to why the hitch itself would be rated higher, depending on what vehicle you put it on (wouldn't the hitch's rating be completely independent of the vehicle?) What am I missing?
Old 04-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Greg, I doubt the hitch or its capacity depends on the drivetrain of the vehicle. I suspect that exactly same part is being listed as having a capacity determined by the vehicle, so when you change vehicle specs, you see a different capacity.

My built-by-Reese sold-by-Toyota hitch has no capacity listed on the hitch; it refers only to the owner's manual, which is currently standard Toyota practice. In other words, it is designed to capable of at least what the van can handle. In some ways this is preferable to listing something like 5000 pounds (the Class 3 limit) on a hitch which can structurally handle that, and having people think that makes their Baja capable of towing 5000 lb!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #16

Quote:
it is designed to capable of at least what the van can handle.

It's all crystal clear now. Much obliged Brian!
Old 04-11-2007, 05:09 PM   #17

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Kristen Beck Send a message via Yahoo to Kristen Beck
Quote:
It's all crystal clear now. Much obliged Brian!

Hi greg,
Just read about your towing questions. someone mentioned U-haul, I just had my receiver hitch and brake controll switch put on there for towing our 13foot scamp. The trailer place where we are picking scamp up on friday wanted 483.00 to put on just the brake controll unit and the 7 way plug. I went to my local uhaul and they charged 164.00 for the same thing(brake controller and plug). I would highly recommend, if not only for cost savings, for services as well. We are very fortunate here in Medford Oregon to have such a fantastic Uhaul center. Best of luck

Kristen Beck
Kristen Beck is offline   Reply With Quote