Your favorite camping spot in Colorado? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #21

Name: sjpeach
Trailer: currently shopping
New Jersey
Smile Emily

Thanks, yes I was certainly being a little thick there, but it happens very very very occasionally.
SJ Peach
sjpeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:08 PM   #22

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fixer View Post
Planning our summer and looking for recommendations for camping locations with our 13ft Scamp in Colorado.

This is our first year with the Scamp and I am finding a bunch of my go to favorites are not not Scamp friendly IE park and walk in sites.

Would love to get some additional recommendations.

Thanks,

Dave
We like boondocking without paying a fortune. West of Salida Colorado going up Poncha Pass is a lake called O'Haver Lake and it has a nice campground as far as scenery and size on most sites. Water spouts around the campground and pit toilets. No dump station. Generators can be used during the day until quiet hours. No cell phone reception and no TV reception. Nice hiking trails around lake and up a nice valley for a quite a ways. The road turns west off of the pass and is dirt about 7 miles south of Poncha Springs. About 5 miles into the dirt road you turn right and that road can be a little rough and that detours a few people but we have taken our motor home and our Casita up there many times. It's steep and winding for about 2-3 miles. The fishing can be great or not a bite. The cost is about $10 a night with the National Lifetime Senior Park Pass. It could be less but I haven't been there in a couple of years. We paid $6 the last time I believe. Elevation is about 9,400 ft. Some sites are reservable but some are first come first serve. Usually weekends are hard to get sites but Monday through Thursday usually no problem. ATV's are not allowed to be ridden in the campground but the first 3 sites are kind of out of the main loop and ATV's use them.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #23

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
comment

was there an answer to the not scamp friendly post? when we camp we ask for tent sites then it leads to we don't want hookups. then they are fine with us!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #24

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
a lot of tent camping in Europe is walk-in since I am disabled they made some exceptions for me!

they don't like cars in their campgrounds I like it. you drive and park on the lot there are carts there you can load your stuff on. when done you take the cart back!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:25 PM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
As mentioned above by saying not "camper friendly" I was referring to sites where you do not have space to park a camper, you park your car and carry your tent and stuff to the site.

Thanks for the tips so far
the_fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:41 PM   #26

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
I think "Walk In" means hiking in and "Walk Up" means not reservable camp sites.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #27

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Almost anyplace west of Denver but especially like the Dutch Charlie campground.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote