Your thoughts on the Geo Pro's by Rockwood - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-19-2021, 06:58 PM   #1

Name: Herman
Trailer: shopping
LA
Your thoughts on the Geo Pro's by Rockwood

Aluminum frame and fiberglass exterior . Not sure how the roof is made. Been watching a lot of vids on it, but never actually see what what or how the roof is constructed.

What are the collective's thoughts on them?
chuckklr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The panels are a fibreglass laminate and will delaminate shortly after any warranty expires.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:47 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Sadly, the RV world is full of fiberglass panels that delaminate, regardless of framing material. Essentially, the outer fiberglass is glued to luan (wood paneling). Leaks cause the wood paneling and glue to fail, resulting in delamination. The separation is not between the studs (framing) and the exterior walls, its between the fiberglass and what it is glued to.

Back in the 1980s, I owned a full aluminum frame trailer, with laminated walls, but the exterior had aluminum siding (Alpenlite). Never had any delamination issues. Later they adopted fiberglass exterior. Seems like the switch to fiberglass siding has made it more of an issue. Its the fiberglass becoming separated from the luan, whether it is an adhesive failure from impact, water leak, heat, whatever. Manufacturers have an instant fall back excuse (trailer was not properly maintained). Generally, RVs are stored out in the weather and maintenance tends to be hit or miss.

In my old adhesive manufacturing days, we used to make reactive hot melt. It was VERY expensive, particularly on a larger application. But it reacted to any moisture, forming a permanent bond. If it got wet, the adhesive reacted further, making a stronger bond. It would even react with moisture in the air, or any moisture in the substrate (like wood).
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:09 AM   #4

Name: Joel
Tx
There are plenty of Rockwood reviews out there that will make you think twice about buying one. Our Rockwood pop up was put together with glue and staples.
jeepers29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:06 AM   #5

Name: Herman
LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers29 View Post
There are plenty of Rockwood reviews out there that will make you think twice about buying one. Our Rockwood pop up was put together with glue and staples.
Glad I'm asking around. At first glance it looks well built, and should be at that price level.
chuckklr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:15 PM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: Casita
New Mexico
Azdel

We were looking at the Geo also and what I found out that the more recent vacuum bonded walls in their trailers, less than 26' long, are using using Azdel instead of luan. Search the internet if you want information on Azdel.
AD5SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:43 PM   #7

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
Have owned a scamp, a geo pro and a nobo (which is basically a geo pro)

We had a few problems but no more than we had with the scamp and the warranty work was was no problem. Getting warranty work on the scamp was a problem.

As for de-lamination with Azdel walls. I think it far less of a problem than it used to be. It's aluminum framing and azdel so there is no longer any wood in them.

We now have a Nobo 19.6 We paid about 25K for it brand new. A comparably sized solid fiberglass camper would have easily cost double. The interior quality is better than a scamp or a casita, on par with an escape, not as nice as an oliver.

I don't think of a camper as a 30 year investment. More like a 10 year one at most. I'd rather dump the nobo in 10 years and get whatever is new.

If i were a single dude without cats and a wife and a dog then a scamp 13 would do just fine But the wife likes the room, the queen size bed, etc etc

I would recommend one. It's not going to last 30 years but it's also half the price and not all the fiberglass trailers last that long either

Believe it or not those fiberglass trailers leak from time to time as well!
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:16 AM   #8

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post
Have owned a scamp, a geo pro and a nobo (which is basically a geo pro). . .
The No Boundaries are made by Forest River. Any better than Rockwood?

Some of their layouts are pretty neat. I like the 19.3 model, with 'Murphy Bed' (couch turns into bed), dinette, and two large bunks big enough for an adult:

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...es/NB19.3/5363

Put my name in to Escape for the new 23' model under development, but realistically, one of these NoBos might do as well, and be more available (and cheaper). If, as you have said, there's no wood in the sides, and the roof and sides are fiberglass, I could still say I've got a FG trailer, even if not a 'MFG'.

/LEJ

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:29 AM   #9

Alabama
The picture below is my impression of the side construction.

Forest river makes the E-Pro/Geo-Pro and the No Boundaries. Having had both the interior is pretty much the same.

This image is representative of the side construction. It's not solid fiberglass but I'm also not worried about it lasting 30 years. The top is a solid fiberglass piece so probably just as leak proof as a molded fiberglass camper. On either a water leak is most likely around the AC or a fan vent on the top.

I have no idea but I would guess the escape 23 will easily top 45K new.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #10

Massachusetts
Quote:
The picture below is my impression of the side construction.

Forest river makes the E-Pro/Geo-Pro and the No Boundaries. Having had both the interior is pretty much the same.

This image is representative of the side construction. It's not solid fiberglass but I'm also not worried about it lasting 30 years. The top is a solid fiberglass piece so probably just as leak proof as a molded fiberglass camper. On either a water leak is most likely around the AC or a fan vent on the top.

I have no idea but I would guess the escape 23 will easily top 45K new.

Thanks, Don. Do both of those brands (Geo-Pro and No Boundaries) use the same construction? /LEJ

Old 06-21-2021, 10:45 AM   #11

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Thanks, Don. Do both of those brands (Geo-Pro and No Boundaries) use the same construction? /LEJ

Yep. I'm sure the Azdel could eventually de-laminate but it;s much less of a problem than it used to be.

My main complaint on them is the fold down stairs for the door. I don't care for those at all. Otherwise, I'd say it's not going to last like an Escape probably would but also it's about half the price and I suspect it will last at least half as a long
Old 06-21-2021, 12:12 PM   #12

Massachusetts
Quote:
Yep. I'm sure the Azdel could eventually de-laminate but it;s much less of a problem than it used to be.

My main complaint on them is the fold down stairs for the door. I don't care for those at all. Otherwise, I'd say it's not going to last like an Escape probably would but also it's about half the price and I suspect it will last at least half as a long
One virtue of lasting long (and being scarce) is resale value. Of course, as you point out, that may be an issue for our heirs. . .

/LEJ

Old 06-21-2021, 12:47 PM   #13

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
One virtue of lasting long (and being scarce) is resale value. Of course, as you point out, that may be an issue for our heirs. . .

/LEJ

I agree but I'm looking at it more like a car. If I paid $25K for a brand new car and got 10 years out of it that seems reasonable. It's an 'expense' not an 'appreciating asset' and if you are looking for an 'appreciating asset' I would NOT recommend a camper or a boat

Also worth note and rarely mentioned... I'm in the fortunate situation where my camper sits in my driveway. I have it plugged into a 15amp outlet and I can run pretty much anything. Especially now with the 12volt Fridge they come with I can run the AC (on low but it works just fine even in Florida if I give it an hour to cool down) and the fridge. But definitely NOT the hot water heater. The AC will pull easily 20amps on startup but drops right down to about 14 to 16 total and I've got newer electric in my home so it handles it just fine. I also have a low/high voltage surge protector on it.

We are often in the camper and when we have company we stay in it.

If the camper had a leak I'd know in a day. The fan, ac and fridge run frequently so the camper is not going to get moldy.

This might not be the case if you are leaving at a storage place where it sits for weeks unattended.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:58 AM   #14

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
geo pro

Lately I am coming around to thinking about trailers like the Geo Pro ( in my case the kz sportsmen 130 rb ) . I have been involved , over the last 10 years , with fiberglass trailers about 7 of them several makes . The major attraction for me is this forum and the absolutely great group of folks that make the forum up . Now looking at the conundrum presented between stickie and fiberglass here is where I am ending up . I can purchase the above mentioned Sportsmen 130 rb new for $12,500.00 which will include an A/C , hot water heater , full bath , 15 gallon holding tank , Microwave and refrigerator . The least expensive fiberglass trailer will be several thousand more and minus much of the above . So in summary lets say the Sportsmen last only 5 to 8 years . I will soon be 83 and in my age group that is what I refer to as a "lifetime warranty" . Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:12 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
I will soon be 83 and in my age group that is what I refer to as a "lifetime warranty" . Lee and Norma

I find I can't do much of the maintenance required. That should be another consideration. Can you caulk the roof yearly?
Old 06-26-2021, 12:39 PM   #16

Glenn Probably shouldn't be on a ladder caulking , but neither am I capable of replacing torsion bar suspensions , fixing the " standard equipment" sagging roof ( had one of those ) on a Trillium , removing and replacing leaking windows ( had that problem on 3 of my fiberglass trailers ) or replace rotting floors , I never had this problem on any of my trailers but have seen plenty on this forum . So you chooses you poison and I can readily pay to have the caulking done . Lee
Old 06-26-2021, 02:53 PM   #17

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
Glenn Probably shouldn't be on a ladder caulking , but neither am I capable of replacing torsion bar suspensions , fixing the " standard equipment" sagging roof ( had one of those ) on a Trillium , removing and replacing leaking windows ( had that problem on 3 of my fiberglass trailers ) or replace rotting floors , I never had this problem on any of my trailers but have seen plenty on this forum . So you chooses you poison and I can readily pay to have the caulking done . Lee

That was a consideration for me as well... just got my nobo 19.6 back from the dealer where I bought it. We had a list after using it a few times. There was a bad wire witht he solar panel. The fridge had a problem as a result of that. There was a problem with a fitting on the exterior shower. Sure they took 2 weeks to fix it but I just dropped that thing off and went back when it was sorted out. It's under warranty.

I've had a new Scamp as well and I liked it. But good luck getting warranty work done on the thing.

If I had more time to be a DIY kinda guy I might feel differently but I work full time, wife is a Dr. and pretty busy as well so it makes a whole lot more sense to get something from a dealer and just take it to them if the roof needs to be re-caulked or whatever.

It came with a 2 year warranty. I'll use it. If I just happened to live near the Casita, Escape or Scamp factory I might feel different. The Oliver warranty as I understand is amazing but it's also a... holy jeebeus... a $60,000 camper.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:25 PM   #18

Name: carol
Trailer: ecof
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckklr98 View Post
Aluminum frame and fiberglass exterior . Not sure how the roof is made. Been watching a lot of vids on it, but never actually see what what or how the roof is constructed.

What are the collective's thoughts on them?
We have the 2018 Epro which is the sister to the geopro. We love it, super lite, easy to tow. We have the rear bathroom, works great for us. My only complaint is that it was built so lite, no back bumper. No way to attach a bike rack. We have one that goes between the truck and the trailer, so it's not really that big of a deal. It's not any better or worse constructed than any other basic RV trailer out there today. Our 2018 Passport has different issues, much larger, heavier trailer, but pretty much equal in quality.
rboysinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:54 PM   #19

geo pro

I need to clear up a mistake in my prior post , it was our Big Foot 17 gaucho with the "standard equipment" sagging roof . There is so many Big Feet ? with this problem that there are many threads showing each individual's solution . So many trailers so little time . Lee
Old 07-01-2021, 02:50 PM   #20

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
...The Oliver warranty as I understand is amazing but it's also a... holy jeebeus... a $60,000 camper.

One can wish they could still be bought for only $60K. Nicely outfitted, they're north of $80K. But, that doesn't seem to bother folks. They are building one a day and are 10 months out on delivery's.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote