Your top options for Scamp 13' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #1

Name: G K
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Your top options for Scamp 13'

Hello all - we have finally decided to go with the scamp 13' (without bath)! I was wondering if there are any options you don't think you could live without, so to speak. Basically, what are the must-haves? We definitely don't need all the bells and whistles, but would prefer not to have to add key things after the fact.

Thanks,
G
reachg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Not knowing what is optional or not on a Scamp these days the items I would be most unhappy not having would be a: 3 way fridge, 12 volt plug inside, furnace, stove, 12 volt fan, awning and rock guard....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #3

Virginia
Thanks. Awning is expensive, but will give it a thought though.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Do NOT forget the screen door.

I had an extra porch light added in the front over the hitch. It works as a homing light at campgrounds as well as helping when hooking up at night.
The extra pair of high mounted taillights is a nice option and cheap insurance.
If you don't get A/C at least get the A/C prep, it is free or close to it.
The window over the stove is a nice choice, better than the stove hood.
Outside GFI is handy.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Carol has some good suggestions but, if the 3 way refrigerator is more than $25 more than a 2 way (AC-LP) I'd save the quarter. I don't want to open a whole discussion here, but I always run my refrigerator on LP while underway, it works fine and I didn't even connect the 12VDC up when I installed the one I now have in my Hunter.

Also, I'd ask for several 12VDC outlets. You will want to plug a USB adapter into one for your phones, possibly a small inverter into another for your computer, better yet, get 3, even if side-by-side.

The screen door is a bit $$$ but also nice to have.

As long as they are finally using the PD-4045 converter (I hope), also ask about upgrading the battery to a group 27 from the stock 24

If you want to carry bicycles, also ask about the rear 2" receiver to put a bicycle rack into.

If you aren't getting an AC now, ask about having the roof reinforcement and wiring for a future a/c pre-installed for later use.

Are you getting hot water, that's another option that's a PITA to install afterwards.

And don't forget electric brakes if they aren't standard, a MUST HAVE.

And don't forget to ask about that 60" flatscreen you always wanted?

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #6

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

I had an extra porch light added in the front over the hitch. It works as a homing light at campgrounds as well as helping when hooking up at night.
The extra pair of high mounted taillights is a nice option and cheap insurance.
If you don't get A/C at least get the A/C prep, it is free or close to it.
The window over the stove is a nice choice, better than the stove hood.
Outside GFI is handy.
Thanks Floyd. Everything checked, so we are good
Old 09-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Any extra cabinets.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Michigan
GK, although not listed in the brochure or on the website yet, the 13 Standard has a no-cost optional bigger bed. Normal width is 44", and the new one is 54" wide. That is roughly the size of a double bed at home. We just got one and really like it. The downside is a 10" narrower closet, and next to no counter space if you get the stove top and sink. You do gain some additional storage under the longer benches for the dinette.

The bigger bed, the screen door, ALL the extra overhead cabinets you can get, and the fantastic fan are really-nice-to-haves for us.

If you get the "Option Package" for $900 you get City Water, 3 way Refrig, a 12 v Battery, Gravel Shield , Screen door, Window over range, choice of front or rear Cabinet, and Silverware Drawer. That seems like a bargain for their most popular options.
Good luck and have fun!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Mine is very basic. I bought used, so it is what it is.
Options I have & use: screen door, silverware drawer, battery, window over stove, receiver hitch, gravel shield
Options I don't use, but glad I have: city water, furnace
Options I wish I had: brakes, 3-way fridge, 12V outlets, 12V ceiling vent/fan, high-mounted tail lights
As you can tell, we usually camp without hookups.

I'd at least give serious consideration to the larger bed. It's a tough call.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
14" vent with fan if no air conditioner. With the emergency hatch open and the extra vent air moves very well inside the trailer even with the fan off. Much better than the exit hatch alone. Electric water pump. Larger battery box if available so you can fit a group 27 or 29 battery.
I use a bag awning if you use one of those you will need an awning rail added to the trailer.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Dang I sure did!! YES that should have been on my list for sure. Cant tell you how many people have taken pictures and measurements of the one on my Scamp in order to recreate it on their own trailers!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:12 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1984
Screen door on our Boler was the first thing we added. The table rail on the outside came with the trailer and now we wouldn't be without it. Wire shelving between cabinets is great and an outside 120v outlet is a must.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #13

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Hondas right!
The most important extra is front and rear cabinets over the table and bunks.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #14

Name: Scamp
MN
Remember that you get a discount if you order all your options now during the build. So if you think you might want something later, get it now. Discount, no trip back to the factory, etc.

Screen door, fantastic fan, extra porch light, awning. I got one of the packages with a few extras like AC.
scamphound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #15

Virginia
Thank You All. We are finalizing the list. 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #16

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We did not get an awning because it doubled in price the year we ordered (2011) and we have not missed it because we usually park in a public campground and walk to our picnic table. That is where I want/need shade, so I use a portable shade. I notice, also, that an awning holder ruins the lines of a 13' Scamp.

I got an outside outlet and have NEVER used it whereas others swear by being able to plug in their string lights or toaster!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
We did not get an awning because it doubled in price the year we ordered (2011) and we have not missed it because we usually park in a public campground and walk to our picnic table. That is where I want/need shade, so I use a portable shade. I notice, also, that an awning holder ruins the lines of a 13' Scamp.

I got an outside outlet and have NEVER used it whereas others swear by being able to plug in their string lights or toaster!
It went from a Catalina 2500 to an Horizon then to a Fiama.
While I like both the price and the operation of the Catalina, that does explain the price increase. The Catalina 2500 has been discontinued.
The Fiama is much easier for most people to operate but not as easy to pay for.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:58 AM   #18

Arizona
Registry
I'll second Gilda's suggestion about a portable canopy. Much cheaper, sets up anywhere, no holes in the shell. Stores nicely on the front sofa for travel. Downside is it may not quite clear the door if set up next to trailer (very close on 13'ers). There are ideas to deal with that on other threads.

I also like the clean look without awnings and rooftop AC ( but understand the need for both in some climates).
Old 09-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Couple of additional personal preferences... feel free to ignore!

The curtain rods from Scamp create 24 holes in the outer shell (which require periodic maintenance). If it were me I'd have Scamp omit them. If you order the full- width front and rear cabinets, it would be an easy DIY to hang rods from those (I'd do a wrap-around, Airstream-style). You can also screw brackets to the window frames (saw it here!). We don't use the front window curtains at all - tend to get caught in blankets when upper bunk is used. We just put up the gravel shield at night. For the door you could do a faux stained glass film, or just use Velcro (hook side will stick to the "rat fur" lining).

Also, have you considered the grey tank issue? We don't use the inside kitchen much, so I'd skip it, but your needs may be different. If I did get the on-board grey tank, I'd also have Scamp omit the storage tube on the front for the drain hose. I think it looks ugly, and it makes 4 more holes in the shell. I'd hang it under the battery on the tongue myself.

I understand you may not want projects on a brand-new trailer... but that's what I'd do if it were me. Whatever you decide on all these things, enjoy the process!
Old 09-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
The grey tank weighs nothing compared to the whole trailer. I would get it.

The outside outlet is handy when you want to work on your trailer. I use it more at home than I do on the road.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp