12 v appliances - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2003, 09:03 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
12 v appliances

Several of you have mentioned neat 12v gadgets we could probably live without, but don't want to, such as the 12v popcorn popper and the 12v oven. Anyone else have great 12v gadgets or appliances we all NEED? Please also mention sources. I'm not necessarily going to run out and find all of them, but I am curious about what I can do with just a 12v system. Online sources are particularly good (my Walmart didn't have the 12v oven!!!!).

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:29 AM   #2

12vdc devices

Super Wal-Mart has a Philip's 12vdc DVD player.
It plays DVD, Audio CD, Video CD, Super Video CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3 files, and Super Audio CD (SACD) (plays the CD layer only). Has lots of options including zoom.
The mounting stand that comes with it is worthless. The screw striped the first time I tried it. But it isn't needed anyway.
Really a quality player for $139.
$20 cheaper than at Target.

I went by Wal-Mart and they had the Philip's DVD player on sale for $99.95. They gave me the difference of what I paided. This is really a good unit at that price.

Ron

Old 05-20-2003, 10:31 AM   #3

I have a 12 volt percolator, I camp in big bend a lot and often am camp cook for 12 to 20 folks, I set up my pot the night before so I can start the morning with my "Caffene Fuel",before I open up all the stoves etc.
Got it at Target for $25, saw the same pot at Walmart in Marble Falls a few weeks later for $12.95.
I am interested in the 12 V popcorn popper for my Sister in law who is a popcorn fanatic and camps a lot. Where can I get one?

Old 05-20-2003, 01:47 PM   #4

Pop Corn Popper

Charlie,

I got my 1 quart model in the camping section at Target for $19.95. It was over on the Coleman aisle, but it's not a Coleman.

I have seen larger ones on the web (1 1/3 qt) for as high as $39.95 and as low as $16.95 (see below).

I don't have much luck with moving pictures, but here's the web site and the description. I hope this works as it appears to be an AOL link, so let's give it a shot.

12V Pot and Popper

POWER TO GO PSP847 12 Volt Saucepan & Popcorn Popper

1-1/3 quart capacity cooks soups, stews, pasta / Perfect for popping popcorn / Connects to Car or Boat Cigarette Lighter

$16.88

Availability: in stock - usually ships in 5 to 7 business days

click here to search for all POWER TO GO products
J&R ITEM # PTG PSP847
MFR. PART # PSP847

The PowerToGo PSP847 is a Saucepan and Popcorn Popper with a nice, interesting twist. It can work in your car or on your boat. Consider those long trips (or when camping out) when you wish you had a hot meal but didn't want to hassle to get it. Just plug the PSP847 Electric Saucepan into your car's or boat's cigarette lighter port and you're cooking.
1-1/3 quart capacity cooks soups, stews, pasta
Perfect for popping popcorn
Unit dimensions: 11” x 6.5” x 6.25”
Unit weight: 13 Ounces

Old 05-20-2003, 02:06 PM   #5

These things are always very tempting, but quite frankly, they frighten me. Particularly in a car. An appliance with a heating element (resistance heat) will pull a lot of power. A cigarette lighter socket is designed to run (guess what?) a cigarette lighter -- a very small resistance heater, and only for 10 - 20 seconds or so. An oven, percolator or popcorn popper will run for longer periods -- several minutes to over an hour -- and will really heat up the wiring to the lighter socket. Look under the dash sometime at the size of the wire supplying power to the socket: it just isn't heavy enough for these kind of loads. If you want to use these things, consider installing a special socket with heavy wiring going directly to the battery with as short a run as possible. Otherwise, I fear the risk of fire is very real.

Old 05-20-2003, 02:24 PM   #6

What about the extra socket?

My car (Subaru Forester) has an auxilliary socket in the back. Presumably intended for use with small appliances and other add-ons. Shouldn't it be safe?

Also, I am considering adding an extra battery to the trailer itself for these purposes.

Old 05-20-2003, 02:33 PM   #7

I bought a few of these a while back (way while to be more correct) they were very wimpy. I think they have improved a lot and the plugs are stronger too. My Escape has a separate plug (two actually) for these little add on beauties. so I guess that would mean, the cigarette lighters aren't that heavily wired. so at least check your manual to make sure it's Okay.

Old 05-20-2003, 03:42 PM   #8

If I am not mistaken, the rear-sockets in SUVs and sport wagons are primarily intended for inflators, such as for air mattresses or small compressors for tire inflation, or those thermo-electric coolers. I would definitely check the capacity rating of the socket before plugging a resistive load in.

Old 05-20-2003, 06:16 PM   #9

12 volts appliances

Speaking of thermo electric coolers, don't leave it running overnight on the rear-socket in SUV. You will not start car motor next morning... I know something about ! :o

Old 05-20-2003, 08:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Orginally posted by Raymond Brodeur

Speaking of thermo electric coolers, don't leave it running overnight on the rear-socket in SUV. You will not start car motor next morning... I know something about ! :o
Howdy, We used to use one of the koolatrons in our van when traveling and kept a couple of milk quart cartons of ice and that seemed to keep well when the power was shut off at night and hardly melted at all when the power was on during the day. Would last for a few days...You could also use frozen milk I suppose and use up the milk as it thawed....Also I believe that the wire feeding the main lighter socket is usually 10 or 12 ga., quite a bit heavier than the 16 or 18 used in the rest of the system and usually it`s the bad connections that heat up and not the wire`s fault.....Benny

Old 05-21-2003, 04:53 AM   #11

Thanks for that idea of keeping some ice in. Last summer during a trip up to Victoria, I used to connect the cooler (a Koolatron too) on 110 v. for overnight. But once, I forgot it plugged in the van... and I had to have the car boosted on next morning...

Old 05-21-2003, 09:03 AM   #12

Quote:

Thanks for that idea of keeping some ice in. Last summer during a trip up to Victoria, I used to connect the cooler (a Koolatron too) on 110 v. for overnight. But once, I forgot it plugged in the van... and I had to have the car boosted on next morning...
I was afraid that was what you meant Raymond. I have one of those, but won't let myself leave it plugged in while in WalMart. Guess that would be okay. less I'm on a buying spree. :)

Old 05-21-2003, 11:49 AM   #13

The lighter sockets in my vehicles are 16ga wire. That's not to say that it's the same in all vehicles.

Old 05-21-2003, 07:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Orginally posted by Thomas and Janifer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:

I was afraid that was what you meant Raymond. I have one of those, but won't let myself leave it plugged in while in WalMart. Guess that would be okay. less I'm on a buying spree. :)[/quote]

During my 42 days to Victoria, I leaved cooler plugged while stopping for lunch or visiting. I had problems only for an overnight plugging.

Old 05-22-2003, 06:34 AM   #15

Thanks Raymond, I'll try to remember. a few hours are okay, but over night is a no no. maybe if I take the jumpit with me, just in case, I'll try it. :lol

Old 05-22-2003, 11:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Orginally posted by Thomas and Janifer

Thanks Raymond, I'll try to remember. a few hours are okay, but over night is a no no. maybe if I take the jumpit with me, just in case, I'll try it. :lol
I would like you give feedback on your experience when it's done

Old 05-22-2003, 11:51 AM   #17

Janifer - revise your "a few hours" to "an hour or so". The manual on mine recommends not running it for more than an hour without the engine running.

Old 05-22-2003, 12:27 PM   #18

revise your "a few hours" to "an hour or so". Good idea. I tried to figure out how long I could just sit with car off and still get the car started. in my house a few means 2 to three. It could be 5 or 6 to some. so one hr huh? that's pretty close when I'm really shopping it could be two hrs easy. :wak

Old 05-22-2003, 12:44 PM   #19

They have a gadget that shuts the Koolatron off before it drains your battery too much to start the vehicle. I think you plug it in then the Koolatron into it??? Not sure though as we don't have one but a friend does.

Ours has been plugged in for 2-3 hours many times with no problems. Now that I've said that, the next time it will kill the battery.

Has anyone seen one of these three-way coolers. Looks like a good idea, not very big though.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/in...c=SRCH&tcode=37

Nancy

Old 05-22-2003, 03:22 PM   #20

Nanct, do you think it uses those little tanks that attach direct? I'm not sure I would like the opeining on top, but I think they cool better. at least in home freezers, chest are suppose to. and it's on sale :)

was on sale.:(