13' Scamp Water System Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2020, 03:12 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
13' Scamp Water System Questions

Hello Fellow Scampers,

Hoping that a member can answer a few questions on our 2020 Scamp 13' with gas water heater and electric water pump.

I decided to sanitize the water tank. So I took <1/4 cup bleach mixed it with a gallon of water and poured it in via the rear port. Then I filled the tank to overflowing with water, ran the water cold water and the pump kicked in, great. I ran the hot water, it ran too and it looked like the hot water tank then filled from the larger tank so I added more water. Although I am not sure how the larger tank knows the hot water tank is full I guess that is how it should work, correct?

I let it sit for 24 hours and it was time to drain. There is one valve inside located on the front of the water tank and I turned it 180 degrees so water would begin flowing out. Very slow as it does not seem that the cap on top is removable which could allow air in. I ended up running water from the sink too and the tank emptied.

Then I began to wonder about the hot water tank. I ran the sink's hot water after looking over the water heater from the outside access panel and deciding that there had to be a better way - got that drained using the sink.

Before all this I read the owner's manual and found it is not exactly up to date. Searching underneath the camper I did find two valves located under the water heater and sink area. One for cold and one for hot with Christmas tree style connectors. Turn those valves and water pumps out. Are these for an outside use situation? The hot water would be great for an outside, handheld shower hookup.

Sorry for the long story but here are the questions: 1) How do you drain the hot water tank?, 2) How would one be able to tell how full the hot water tank is?, 3)Are the two outside valves under the sink area a suitable way to drain both tanks?, 4) Are the same two valves meant as an outside water source?

Thanks in advance for the thoughtful replies.
MSFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:23 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSFrancis View Post
1) How do you drain the hot water tank?
Remove the plastic drain plug and open the hot water faucet to allow air in (or open the relief valve). Note that a little water will always remain in the tank but it will not damage it if it freezes. It might get a sulfur smell in storage however.. thats another topic.

Quote:
2) How would one be able to tell how full the hot water tank is?
It should always be fully full when in use. Dont turn it on until it is full and water flows out of the faucet. Once its full it should be kept full by the water supply, even while you use hot water. At least until the water supply is gone. That means its much better to use shore water and not the on board fresh water tank.

There is likely a shut off valve where the cold water supply goes into the water heater inside the cabinet. Its there so you dont pump RV antifreeze into the hot water heater. Its not needed in the heater, but you do need it in all the other plumbing. Some campers have a multi-valve water heater bypass the routes the cold water to the hot plumbing without going through the heater. I have not heard of a Scamp with that full bypass except for owner mods.

Quote:
3)Are the two outside valves under the sink area a suitable way to drain both tanks?, 4) Are the same two valves meant as an outside water source?
I think the valves you are referring to are the plumbing low point drains to be used when winterizing. Since they are the low point in the pipes they will allow all the water in the pipes to drain out if there is no vacuum (faucets, shower, commode valves open).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #3

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Listen to Gordon. Good info there. Two related thoughts.

First, when I winterized my 2019 13 ft Scamp, I followed the directions on the Scamp videos as well as close to 100 other related you tube Videos. Anyway, I didn’t see how to bypass the hot water tank for the antifreeze. It seemed that at the end of the process you put some antifreeze in the hot water tank and push it to the sink and shower that way. Is there a way to bypass the hot water heater on a Scamp?

Second, I too bleached my system as described, except I used half a cup of bleach. . I emptied the tank through the sink, shower and toilet. I should have emptied the reservoir at the valve as well. There was still a taste of bleach when I used the camper over the Memorial Day weekend. We had to get drinking water from our water totes. It is fine now. I went out again locally last weekend for a single night. The water tasted like water again.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp