13' Scamp / Winterizing Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Here's the situation: we bought a used 13' scamp [no bathroom] this past fall. The previous owners hadn't used it in while, and the water holding tank was bone dry. We took it camping twice, and connected it to campground water both times. One time we actually ran the water through the sink [the testing weekend], the second camping trip, water was connected to the outside spigot on the camper, but never turned on inside the camper. Since then, it's been parked and not used.

I have been reminded today [after two 15 degree nights here in the south] that I should have poured the pink stuff down the sink trap and put it in the water pump / holding tank. I'm not sure what the water pump looks like, but we must have one [so I've been told]. I've never turned it on.

Now for the questions:

On a 13' scamp, where is the water pump located? What's the chance that there is water in it, if it hasn't been on, and there's been no water in the holding tank, and we've had 100 degree weather in between here?

What should I have done to winterize the camper? I realize that the small scamps are a different situation that the bigger ones with bathrooms, etc.

Thanks.

Sheryl
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Quote:
Here's the situation: we bought a used 13' scamp [no bathroom] this past fall. The previous owners hadn't used it in while, and the water holding tank was bone dry. We took it camping twice, and connected it to campground water both times. One time we actually ran the water through the sink [the testing weekend], the second camping trip, water was connected to the outside spigot on the camper, but never turned on inside the camper. Since then, it's been parked and not used.

I have been reminded today [after two 15 degree nights here in the south] that I should have poured the pink stuff down the sink trap and put it in the water pump / holding tank. I'm not sure what the water pump looks like, but we must have one [so I've been told]. I've never turned it on.

Now for the questions:

On a 13' scamp, where is the water pump located? What's the chance that there is water in it, if it hasn't been on, and there's been no water in the holding tank, and we've had 100 degree weather in between here?

What should I have done to winterize the camper? I realize that the small scamps are a different situation that the bigger ones with bathrooms, etc.

Thanks.

Sheryl
On our 16' UHaul VT, our onboard water system (with the water pump) is separate from the city water line. In other words, when we hook up to city water, the water flows directly to our sinks (through our hot water heater). The onboard system needs to be filled through a different water inlet, with water going to the holding tank. This is then pumped through the water pump when we use the 12 volt system. So, if your system is like ours, you wouldn't have any water in the water pump if you haven't put water in the holding tank. My guess is that it is still dry from when you bought it. As to the sink trap, if your trailer sat for a while since its last use, the water there probably evaporated and shouldn't be a problem. This is usually a concern for folks who use the trailer right up until freezing temps, especially where the temps are below freezing for a couple days at least. I don't believe brief dips into the teens are a problem, especially if your daytime temps rise above freezing. I doubt that anything has been damaged.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
  1. On a 13' scamp, where is the (electric) water pump located?
  2. On a 13' scamp, where is the (manual) water pump located?
  3. What's the chance that there is water in it, if it hasn't been on, and there's been no water in the holding tank?
  4. What should I have done to winterize the camper?
I think you may be lucky and have escaped serious damage.
  1. Electric Pumps are usually next to the Fresh Water Tank, with a Switch on the front of the Sink Cabinet
  2. Manual Pumps are part of the Faucet on the counter top.
  3. I'd hazard a guess of less than a 1% chance.
  4. You may be OK if you just open all drain valves.
I camped once in my Fiber Stream where the overnight temperatures got down to 17<sup>o</sup> for [b]one night. There was no damage.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Chris and I thought this would be our situation. A visit to the camper in warm weather will tell. If we never use the on board water system, and only connect to outside water, what shoud our procedure be in the fall?

Quote:
I think you may be lucky and have escaped serious damage.
  1. Electric Pumps are usually next to the Fresh Water Tank, with a Switch on the front of the Sink Cabinet
  2. Manual Pumps are part of the Faucet on the counter top.
  3. I'd hazard a guess of less than a 1% chance.
  4. You may be OK if you just open all drain valves.
I camped once in my Fiber Stream where the overnight temperatures got down to 17<sup>o</sup> for [b]one night. There was no damage.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 1976
It can be a good idea to put some antifreeze in the Sink Drain Plumbing. Up North we are used to cold (minus 20 today!!!) I never had problem but I replace all the water by antifreeze. May be you have time... 15 degrees, it is not to cold inside the trailer. You can also put an electic lamp inside the cabinet, it will keep the temperature warmer.
Marc Barrière is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp