14' "Fun Finder," FGRV or stick? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 07:40 PM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
14' "Fun Finder," FGRV or stick?

I see one for sale on Craig's list, looks lovely, but also has straight sides like a stick-built. The ad SAYS fiberglass, but I wonder if that's just a skin over sticks? It also looks to have a very sturdy upper bunk that will fold down. Outside shower, awning, 2007. $6900

Does anyone here have experience with these?

I've written asking info about weight and TV.
EllPea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:23 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
It's a stick built
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:13 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I dunno why "Fiberglass" people wont differentiate between the two. But unless it has the aluminum (rippled siding), it's a LAMINATE trailer. But FG'ers call them all "stick".

"Sticks" are the wooden framed trailers with paneling on the inside and the aluminum siding on the outside.

Where they get "fiberglass" on the "SOB"s (Some other brands) is, that it is a fiberglass sheet laminated to usually an aluminum inner frame with styrofoam between the laminations. The inner wall is usually part of the laminated wall system.

The problem I have with them, is they STILL have the seams where the walls join the roof and so on. So you still have high-potential leak areas. I have a good friend that we camp with that owns a Forest River Surveyor. It too is laminated. But he let it leak through a vent on top and now, he has a SEVERE problem with "delamination"! It looks awful...and VERY expensive to repair. That's where the TRUE fiberglass rigs here rule!

Here's an article to further the stick-n-tin vs laminates debate:
The Great Debate: Laminates vs. Stick-and-Tin | RV PRO
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:25 PM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I dunno why "Fiberglass" people wont differentiate between the two. But unless it has the aluminum (rippled siding), it's a LAMINATE trailer. But FG'ers call them all "stick".

"Sticks" are the wooden framed trailers with paneling on the inside and the aluminum siding on the outside.

Where they get "fiberglass" on the "SOB"s (Some other brands) is, that it is a fiberglass sheet laminated to usually an aluminum inner frame with styrofoam between the laminations. The inner wall is usually part of the laminated wall system.

The problem I have with them, is they STILL have the seams where the walls join the roof and so on. So you still have high-potential leak areas. I have a good friend that we camp with that owns a Forest River Surveyor. It too is laminated. But he let it leak through a vent on top and now, he has a SEVERE problem with "delamination"! It looks awful...and VERY expensive to repair. That's where the TRUE fiberglass rigs here rule!

Here's an article to further the stick-n-tin vs laminates debate:
The Great Debate: Laminates vs. Stick-and-Tin | RV PRO
Darral, to the molded owners anything else is a stick built rig. Just a generic term overall .
Old 05-22-2015, 11:47 PM   #5

CA
I certainly hear you about the leak issue. My Kencraft had a one-piece top, but I think it was too early to be fiberglass. It was important to check the vents and re-seal if necessary.

The one advantage I could see to these stickys, though, is that with the foam sandwiched in they are somewhat insulated.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:55 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I think a lot of people advertising Fiberglass Trailers that stickies do so because they know that molded fiberglass trailers hold their value and trying to take advantage of the unknowing first time buyer.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:18 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I think a lot of people advertising Fiberglass Trailers that stickies do so because they know that molded fiberglass trailers hold their value and trying to take advantage of the unknowing first time buyer.
You give the consuming public too much credit. Most are completely unaware of and totally disinterested in fibreglass molded trailers. How many slide-outs do you have?
Old 05-23-2015, 01:10 AM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
I certainly hear you about the leak issue. My Kencraft had a one-piece top, but I think it was too early to be fiberglass. It was important to check the vents and re-seal if necessary.

The one advantage I could see to these stickys, though, is that with the foam sandwiched in they are somewhat insulated.
After having a slew of different RV's I think you'll find that the key word you need to remember is "somewhat". The little bit of insulation sandwiched on flat panels isn't going to give you any better results that you'll notice than what's used in the different molded trailers. It's a mute point to me but seam leaks....that's a different animal.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:49 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
For a very long time SOB fiberglass trailers have been built with wooden interior frames. Some still are, some brands now have metal interior frames. All molded towables have neither. I don't get hung up thinking stickies are wooden interior framed. To me, stickies just mean framework and seams.

While the Fun Finder may be a nice trailer, you won't get the same cheering crowd here anymore than you would if you were on a Ford site wanting to discuss Chevys.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:20 AM   #10

I would check with the owner's forum: Fun Finder Owner's Club Forums and look for issues there with that unit. While all trailers have issues, when the same issue comes up again and again, it is a lemon in my book.

Make sure you understand how much weight that bunk can hold because I have seen bunks that have pulled out of the wall on many brands of trailers and the thought of it falling when someone is sleeping there

I would also check the value here: RV Prices, Values & Reviews - NADAguides Unlike the molded fiberglass, values for standard built trailers where demand is lower the price estimate will be pretty accurate, maybe even a little high depending on your area.

I had asked a question about molded fiberglass in a major RV forum, versus stick, and 90% of my input came regarding fiberglass-sided trailers. SO many people have never seen nor heard of the molded fiberglass trailers. I saw my first one in 1990 and even traveling and camping, I have probably only seen 7 or 8 over the last 25 years.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:37 AM   #11

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Two years ago I considered buying a Fun Finder...a quick internet search revealed that too many had problems with fiberglass de-lamination...not a good thing...fiberglass panels can be made two ways....by a vacuum process and by a pinch-roller method....the pinch-roller process is subject to excessive problems with de-lamination...ask before you buy.

When it comes to stick built trailers the best of the best have metal frames.
I have owned several of the "stick-built" travel trailers and with proper care they do not leak...I never had a single leak in any of my trailers.

I enjoy reading many RV sites...this group is the most helpful on any subject ....
But beware .....NEVER talk in a negative manner about molded fiberglass trailers on this site....you will be attacked!!!....members here really love and defend their product!!!

Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:03 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
I enjoy reading many RV sites...this group is the most helpful on any subject ....
But beware .....NEVER talk in a negative manner about molded fiberglass trailers on this site....you will be attacked!!!....members here really love and defend their product!!!
I'm not sure attacked is the word I'd use. Maybe we'd strongly, strongly suggest a person educate themselves

I believe most members try to be helpful and in a lot of the cases it's pointing to other forums where the build type the individual wants to discuss has owners of that build type. At least I know I do. While there are some members that can speak to SOBs, most of us can't. Hence, pointing the way to other places for discussion.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:13 AM   #13

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Donna D., You missed my point...folks on this website are great...always willing to share information and have excellent knowledge in many areas from travel info to RV repair issues....just a little sensitive on one subject.

Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
I see one for sale on Craig's list, looks lovely, but also has straight sides like a stick-built. The ad SAYS fiberglass, but I wonder if that's just a skin over sticks? It also looks to have a very sturdy upper bunk that will fold down. Outside shower, awning, 2007. $6900

Does anyone here have experience with these?

I've written asking info about weight and TV.
Others have already addressed issues related to the different construction method, so I won't go there. It's boxy, possibly wider and taller, and likely heavier, so all those things will negatively impact your towing experience. But here's something else I learned recently: conventionally-built trailers appear to designate models by cabin length, not overall length, so (I think) this may be a much bigger trailer than the 13' molded fiberglass trailers you were originally considering. A 13' Boler is 13' from tongue to bumper and has a 10' cabin. A 14' Fun Finder may be more like 17' from tongue to bumper with a 14' cabin. You might want to check on that.

I'm curious, though… did you decide to pass on the Boler? If there was a follow-up on that thread, I missed it.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #15

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote: "I have owned several of the "stick-built" travel trailers and with proper care they do not leak...I never had a single leak in any of my trailers."

The operative phrase there is "with proper care". History will show us that most RV's sit, unprotected for 90% of their life, without any sort of pro-active care. More often than not, resealing repairs only take place after a pool of water or a wet ceiling appears, and then only the leak is fixed, not any hidden damage.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #16

Without proper care, you will have leaks in a molded fiberglass trailer too, maybe less places and mostly limited to around vents, doors and windows when not maintained but nothing is maintenance free is you want it too last. Yes, more places for water intrusion in a stick trailer. Gee, I though initially that it would be great to never have to worry about leaks but then I remembered anything with a seal or sealing material not maintained will leak eventually.

Owner's manuals usually address what needs to be done to maintain your trailer and many of these manuals are now on line and even include video presentations.

We got our first camper in 1985 and are on #8. Full-timed twice for 2 years at a time.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:54 AM   #17

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
Funny story: Several years ago we saw our first "Fun Finder". Unfortunately, the lettering was a little hard to read and the first thing my wife & I both thought it said was "Fun Ender".
I think the font has changed slightly to eliminate that mistake.
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Without proper care, you will have leaks in a molded fiberglass trailer too, maybe less places and mostly limited to around vents, doors and windows when not maintained but nothing is maintenance free is you want it too last. Yes, more places for water intrusion in a stick trailer. Gee, I though initially that it would be great to never have to worry about leaks but then I remembered anything with a seal or sealing material not maintained will leak eventually.
True... fewer places to leak, but also fewer things to be damaged if leaks do occur. Biggest is no wood frame underneath the skin to rot, and in many cases, no wood paneling or cabinetry, either. Quite a few have a wood floor, of course. Data would probably be very difficult to obtain, but I would hazard a guess that, of all trailers sold between 1970 and 1990, a much higher percentage of molded fiberglass trailers are still in use than conventionally-built trailers. I think the latter reach the point of no return more quickly, especially larger ones. Canned ham fans seem willing to resuscitate the smaller ones, even if they require a frame-up rebuilding, but I don't see that happening with larger ones, except a few collectible makes.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #19

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Two points on leaks....
While both can have an issue with window and roof leak possibilities:

1. A typical 17' sticky will have over 60' of edge molding where sides meet the top and front and rear panels, and from 16' to 48' of strip molding on the roof. These are the most common point for leaks to start in these trailers.
Total footage in a molded fiberglass: a very few (Compact Jr, U-Haul etc) have a top seam with about 20' of molding and, while most have a belly band, it is seldom mentioned as a primary leak point.

2. The Biggie: When a leak starts in a sticky it can and will often lead to significant structural damage that is beyond economical/practical repair.
When a leak occurs in a molded fiberglass trailer, about the most damage that can be done is cosmetic and the unit can be rescued.
Of course I am excluding floor damage from leaks because that is about equal on both once water gets in.

On a perfect world, where owners took care of their RV's, did not leave them out in the rain, snow and ice every winter and did all of the required preventive maintenance, stickys can enjoy a long life. Unfortunately that often is not typical of owner care in either case.

So, one might also say that molded fiberglass construction survives neglect much better than sticky's.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #20

CA
Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to diss fiberglass! I haven't decided against the Boler, but that is a lot of cash for something that might have hidden frame issues, and still needs *some* significant work inside. Then there's the bar fridge, uncertainty about the battery... etc. I would LOVE to buy this and invest a lot of cash (if I had it) into making it the sweetest thing you've ever seen like many of you have done here, but am not confident I have the energy to make that happen.

I admit to being potentially seduced by the most base of naive RV shopper influences... new and pretty and ready to go.

Trust me, I'm still looking EVERYWHERE for fiberglass, up to two states away. This when I'm not sure I can hook the hubby in. But at least yesterday when I mentioned towing with the Volvo, he reiterated his successful towing of a Santana 20 (sailboat) with an auto transmission with the tranny cooler. This would be up and down steep boat rams also.

That was the FIRST positive remark I've had from him on this topic.

I also spoke to our independent Volvo mechanic (an absolute Volvo *geek* whom we trust implicitly), asking if he knew of other customers who towed with models like ours. He said he DID, they towed successfully, and he even tows a tent trailer (most of these seem heavier the FGRV) loaded with everything he can cram in there, he has the same transmission we do, and he says he doesn't even feel it back there when he drives.

I had been thinking the Aerostar would have to be the tow vehicle, but I'm learning now that is not the case. The tow rating on the Volvo (if the report is to be believed) is around 3400 lbs. We wouldn't go that high -- I'd like to drive through the mountains without worry, but it does expand our choices a BIT!

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm here because I want to learn, not upset anyone!