14 inch tires on S13? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2006, 08:36 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
So I've read several of the tire threads on this forum...I think I'm a bit slow on these matters...so, I'm about to replace my worn tires and looking for higher bottom clearance....thus, my fundemental question is :

Can I put 14 inch tires on my 2000 13 ft Scamp?

PS: Oh yeah, I called the Scamp folks and of course, they hedged and gave me the official party line of "we can only recommend 13 inch tires, but you can take it to a tire store and check with them"

Help, opnions, suggestions, experience, etc appreciated.
adimiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:49 AM   #2

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
My Burro came with 13 inch tires. Load range had no safety margin. Some of the considerations: Clearances: top, front and rear, and inside. You will need at least 3 inch clearance on the top, for suspension bouncing around. New wheels needed. Got my combination at Les Schwab, and they were very good at calculating the offset of the new wheels so that inside clearance would be sufficient (actually gained quarter inch).

Check bolt pattern and refresh your knowledge of offsets and you'll be OK. Not much road clearance will be gained, but the load range safety margin will increase dramatically and the tire pressure can be somewhat lower.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:24 AM   #3

Thanks for shoring your experience.

(1) I noticed that your trailer is bigger (17 ft) than mine (13 ft), so wonder if that will make a difference.

(2) Pardon my ignorance, what is "offset"?
Old 09-13-2006, 06:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm not Per, but the length of the trailer has less to do with changing tire sizes than what the particular trailer wheel well looks like. For instance, SOME Casita's do not have an enclosed wheel well. So the width of the tire is less of an issue.

Here's a GREAT website that explains wheel offset, measuring for bolt pattern, etc.

Wheel Technical Information

But to answer your question, wheel offset is the distance between the rim centerline and the mounting face of the wheel.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #5

Donna D, thanks for the link. It's super-informative. Very helpful at understanding all the terminology.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:27 PM   #6

Trailer: Burro
Quote:
So I've read several of the tire threads on this forum...I think I'm a bit slow on these matters...so, I'm about to replace my worn tires and looking for higher bottom clearance....thus, my fundemental question is :
Can I put 14 inch tires on my 2000 13 ft Scamp?
PS: Oh yeah, I called the Scamp folks and of course, they hedged and gave me the official party line of "we can only recommend 13 inch tires, but you can take it to a tire store and check with them"

Help, opnions, suggestions, experience, etc appreciated.
Yes you can but you mat have to raise the axel & or change the hubs if they are 4 on 4"
you can buy hubs 5 on 4.5" that will take up to 15" rims. I am running 8' X 15" rims on my Burro ( 84 ) Wayne
wayne s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #7

Name: Hillary
Trailer: 1974 ECO ~ Just purchased!
California
What total clearance do your trailers have to fit 14" tires?
AuntHoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Walthinsen View Post
My Burro came with 13 inch tires. Load range had no safety margin.
I did the same as Per on a 98 Burro, also a 17 footer. Putting the challenges of lateral and vertical clearance in the wheelwell aside for a moment, consider the above per Per.

The all-up wgt. of your 13 Scamp is undoubtedly WELL INSIDE the load range of say 185/13s ; you have plenty of "safety margin" without changing out rims and tires. In addition, you might be able to buy a 14" tire which would give you 1 1/2" increase in diameter over a 13". Halve that for the difference in radius and at best you can expect to increase ground clearance by 3/4". Not much of a gain imo. You could save the cost of new wheels and buy three good quality 13" radials? The real potential for increasing ground clearance involves modification of the mounting of the axle.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
I did the same as Per on a 98 Burro, also a 17 footer. Putting the challenges of lateral and vertical clearance in the wheelwell aside for a moment, consider the above per Per.

The all-up wgt. of your 13 Scamp is undoubtedly WELL INSIDE the load range of say 185/13s ; you have plenty of "safety margin" without changing out rims and tires. In addition, you might be able to buy a 14" tire which would give you 1 1/2" increase in diameter over a 13". Halve that for the difference in radius and at best you can expect to increase ground clearance by 3/4". Not much of a gain imo. You could save the cost of new wheels and buy three good quality 13" radials? The real potential for increasing ground clearance involves modification of the mounting of the axle.

jack
notice the date of the original message!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #10

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
notice the date of the original message!
Good advice, although redundant, is timeless.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #11

California
I bumped this thread because I tried to find the closest one to discussing clearance while trying to figure out how high my ECO should be raised
Old 10-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #12

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntHoodoo View Post
I bumped this thread because I tried to find the closest one to discussing clearance while trying to figure out how high my ECO should be raised
I thought you were doing better with Donna on your other thread where we find your PO doing the mods. This is now the April Fool thread for October.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #13

California
where we find your PO doing the mods? Sorry I don't understand.

I just did a search for clearance and looked at the most relevant one - thought that was the appropriate thing to do. Trying to find a quick answer because the welder and previous owner were discussing it earlier today.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #14

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
You might not have caught all the threads on the subject of tire size... Check out this one I started a while back...
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...res-42748.html

The short scoop...larger than factory remmended tires can lead to problems you hadn't expected.

Tags
tires