1975 Hunter I Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2007, 11:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Hunter 1
I recently purchased a small Hunter I fiberglass trailer in San Diego, Ca., and am looking for general info on these Hunter trailers. It looks very similar to the pop up roof trailer you recented posted an add for. The one I purchased is a 1975 Hunter I, manufactured in Chatsworth, Ca. It is an off white color. The door is at the rear. Forward are two bunks with a table in the middle. The fabric is kind of a scottish design with a red/orange color scheme. At the entry on the left is a counter with a sink and 2 burner stove, and drawers below. On the right are drawers. The drawers have a light tan color stain finish. There is a lift up roof on the back half of the trailer so you can stand up there. Could you provide info on the following:

1). Does the above description sound like the original interior installed ?
2). The front window has been replaced in mine with a built in AC air conditioner. What kind of window was originally on the trailer in the front, a fixed type, sliding type or tilting type ?
3). The empty towing weight of the trailer.
4). Do you have any original manufacturer literature on this trailer ?
5). Is there a collectors group for Hunter Trailers ?
6). How common are these trailers ?
7). Is there a source for replacement parts for these trailers, such as the window glass, rubber rub rail material, etc.
8). Have you seen anyone add a snap in enclosure around the lift up roof to enclose it during inclement weather ?

This trailer is in nice condition for it's age. I'm planning to give it a cosmetic clean up on the outside, and add some new features such as a 12V powered water pump and lights. We'd like to take it to northern california for camping in the winter months when it is quiet up there, and tent camping isn't very convenient.

Thanks,

Dave Grossman
Dave Grossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Hi Dave,

Check in the album section on page 4. What you are describing sounds like a Trails West Campster I used to have.

John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Hey Dave,
I own a Compact II, which seems to be a 'sister' to your Hunter 1. Both were made in Chatsworth by Hunter Industries in the 70's. There is also another model, a Compact Jr, and I've also seen another unit called a TrailsWest that looks TOO similar to not be related to our rigs somehow. I don't think that anyone has actually built a webpage dedicated to JUST our rigs, but there are several owners on here who are very knowledgable. So you're DEFINITELY in the right place! hehe Tom Trostel is another member on here that I've asked a LOT of questions to about our rigs, since I'm fairly new as well, have only had my rig about a yr. Heads up too, I'm 99% sure there is another owner on here with a Hunter I, a lady I believe, and I believe in the SD area also. Bet you guys could compare notes real easily! Now for your questions...
1. Your description sounds very much like my floorplan, and what seems to be 'standard' for our Hunter trailers. MOST of the units I've seen pics of though, and mine as well, have an icebox or a refridgerator somewhere on that right hand side galley area, across from the stove. Do you have any pics to share with all of us? I'd bet a LOT of folks are going to ask you that! hehe
2. On my unit, that across the front window is non-opening, but separated into 3 equal width panels. I don't think yours is the first unit to have an A/C retrofit though. I'd say it just depends on where you live as far as summer heat levels and all...
3. Personally I'm not sure of the empty weight of my trailer, although I have a suspicion that our Hunter rigs are just about the lightest FBRVs around, since they seem to have rather thin skins. I keep meaning to get mine weighed, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.
4. I have a couple of typed pages that came with my unit, instructions on using some of the appliances, stuff like that, and that's about it. I would LOVE to see a sales brochure, or any kind of literature anybody would have for theirs to share!!!
5. I THINK that the closest thing to a Hunter owner's group is THIS WEBSITE! hehe
6. Though I continue to be AMAZED at how many of our little Hunter rigs show up, on here as well as on the web in general, I get the feeling that they are rather rare, as it doesn't seem like they were manufactured for very many years, just the early part of the 70s.
7. As far as brand specific replacement parts I don't think such a source exists, but honestly I don't think there's very much that is 'brand specific' to our rigs, except that fabric around the poptop. And I've seen several posts from folks who have managed to remove the old fabric and have it remade, usually sounds like a local upholstery place or something. Beyond that, looking around my rig, it really seems like most of it's parts are general RV items, or can be improvised from existing stuff. Like I just put a new doorknob & deadbolt on my door, and I just picked up a same keyed set at WalMart, nothing special...
8. Ive never heard of a 'snap enclosure' for the poptop, but it does sound like a clever idea! At the same time, I think if you're poptop & fabric are in good condition, I don't think there's much to worry about unless its a real blowing storm or something. The person I bought mine from had the poptop up all winter, through rains and such, and said it never leaked inside.
Wow, guess I kinda hogged up answering everything! But don't take my responses as gospel, I've learned a LOT from this website, and from studying my rig, but there's a LOT of knowledge on here in other folks. I have a feeling you're going to get a lot of responses and make a LOT of friends on here, fellow Hunter owners. So welcome to the family! hehe HUGS! Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:53 AM   #4

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
Dave, Welcome. I too have a Hunter I, mine is red.

1. My interior was oranges & yellows done in southwest design, but I replaced the curtains & cushions. Strawberries & red on the curtains and blue demin on the cushions.

2. I replaced the canvas popup. I don't have any leaks. If it gets cold, I just pop-down the top.

3. I have an ice box in mine (hope to replace soon). It is under the stove on the left.

4. This is the best place I have found for info. Most people know them as Compacts, made by Hunter.

5. My front window is sectioned in three, with the one in the middle opening from the bottom (fire exit).

6. The table should come down and make a queen size bed.

I think this is the 2nd new Hunter/Compact owner in San Diego in the last few weeks.

My email is lcballoon @ cox.net if you would like to get together to compare. I am in National City.

Enjoy, these are great trailers.

Linda
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Dave,
I own a 1973 Compact Jr. that was made by Hunter Industries in Chatsworth, CA. I have no idea why same were named "Compact" and others were named "Hunter". This includes decals on the exterior and model name on the title. It sounds like you have an original interior. I use four panels of Reflectix on the inside of the vinyl when camping in very hot or very cold conditions. My guess is that several hundred are still used for camping and many more are rotting away in backyards. I believe several thousand were made between about 1968 and 1975.

Welcome to our little group of owners.

Tom Trostel
Old 04-20-2007, 08:00 AM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Welcome, Dave!

How about some pictures of your rig? I would like to see the AC installation as that is something I may do with mine, to use it here in Central California in the fall and late spring. (I leave the valley in the summer.) Though I'm thinking there might be some way to install the AC into the pop-top space on a temporary basis.

Tom, I'd also like to see any pictures you have of the Reflectix panels in place. Are they just reflectix or did you frame them? What keeps them up?

As I said in the PM, I haven't even seen my Campster yet. It's either a twin or a knock-off; my personal guess is the latter because I would be surprised if two non-identical outside molds were in use by the same company at the same time. And recently there was a hard-top bubble trailer posted that looked like a clone of the campster, but with a fiberglass perma-popped top.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
hi dave,
i live in san diego and i just purcased a hunter compact II just a couple of weeks ago. if you have any questions or just want to come and take a look, let me know. i am doing some updating to my unit as well. during the past 2 weeks, i have gone over all the electricals and made the essential items work. to my surprise, the refrigerator works - i just had to clean out the rear of the unit. i have brakes!!! they seem to be in good condition - like they were never used. i found the wires for the brakes as well as some sort of breakaway switch on the tongue of the trailer. i am changing the upholstery and curtains as well as having the poptop fabric/vinyl? remade. the front window on my compact has 3 sections with the middle section being an emergency exit.
joey
JoeyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Bobbie,
The Reflectix panels I use are simply 4 pieces cut to the height difference between the upper and lower tops. The two side panels are 13.5" x 8' and the two end panels are 13.5" x 4'. I wedge them in place between the upper ceiling and the inside lip of the lower top and they stay put. It takes a couple of minutes to put them up and take them down. I roll them, put a rubber band around, and they are stored under one of the benches. I'm having trouble posting links, so if you go to the topic "Dinette tables" under 'Mods, Alt, & Neat Updates' then look at post # 11. There you will find a link to my Epson photo site. Clink that link, then back click to photo # 2. That is a picture of my interior with the panels in place.

Tom Trostel

Here's the link to Tom's photo site:
Tom's Photo Site, you'll just need to click one page forward to view the page he's referencing in the above post.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:02 PM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Thanks, Tom, that's a great idea.

I found the picture and see how it is done.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:21 AM   #10

Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
For anyone thats interested, I have a 1972 Hunter Compact Jr for sale. I took a bunch of photos and have posted them on this site:

http://host.spudstravels.com/trailernona.htm
Timm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:09 AM   #11

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Quote:
For anyone thats interested, I have a 1972 Hunter Compact Jr for sale. I took a bunch of photos and have posted them on this site:

http://host.spudstravels.com/trailernona.htm
Boy, Timm, that's a nice Compact Jr.!! Looks really great in the photos. Also I salivate in that someone added FIVE 110-volt outlets.

I got a Compact Jr. last October. Dave, Yes, the interior sounds a LOT like the Hunter described at the beginning of these posts. I also just got back from the Oregon Gathering. There was a trailer there that I SWEAR had the same interior as well, but called a Havisu (spelling? it's the same as the lake) by Astro. Not of Chatsworth, but I think of Oakville or Oaksomething.

At any rate, enjoy your trailer! (Attached is a photo of mine the first day I had it.)

Cory
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote