1976 Boler -- photos and questions! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
1976 Boler -- photos and questions!

Hello,

We looked at a Boler today -- right in our hometown. I reviewed the Boler Buyer Guide in the documents area, so knew a few things to look at and ask about.

This one has been cosmetically upgraded, but the owner has only had it for three years and doesn't know a thing about what might be underneath. She's never used the water tank or pump, has only hooked up to CG water lines. The fridge is supposed to be 2-way, and appears new (we didn't check to see if it worked, or if the stove worked).

Here is a link to my photo album: https://goo.gl/photos/JPNn7Qnfsr8cK8Vu5

I would post questions or comments on these photos, but Google seems to have changed the format and I don't see a way to do that!

I couldn't really get UNDER the thing to look at the frame, so I used the camera and photographed what I hoped were the crucial areas.

The door seems just a big quirked out at the bottom left.

The guy who did the paint job (lower half) seems to have done a very lousy job. It looks OK from a distance, but up close it's flaking off, and he's painted over plastic parts that were not well-prepped. Numerous stone chips on the front corners.

I don't see evidence of leaks or mold. The metal flange over the door is really battered, she says from a hail storm that almost totaled her car. Hail battered the flange, broke two of the windows (that were cranked out), and broke the vent. She had new glass and vent installed, but kept the flange as it was.

Windows seem to have a lot of goop around them. So does the vent.

Seams are visible and/or loose on the interior (insolight? stuff?). It has not been painted. Some of them look to have been sealed with caulk.

There is a porta potty which I would probably trash. I see that the fiberglass under the goucho has a central area (where potty is)... the gaucho could easily be converted to a little dinette, so the bed could stay made. I consider this a plus...

Belly band looks good to my untutored eye.

There seems to be a converter panel, but she doesn't know if there is a battery, or even if there is a holding tank!

I'm not completely turned off by the bad paint... it could be corrected down the road. Although what may have possessed the guy who rehabbed it to paint the insides of the cabinets BLACK I do not know! But painting is easy.

When I first saw this she said she wanted what she paid for it, $5K. Since then she's posted it on Craig's list for $7K. She called to let me know she had one buyer who did not seem swayed by the price, and wanted to know if I would want to match that price... I told her it was too much for me (that buyer never showed up). I still don't quite know if she would stick to the $5K for me if someone else doesn't come along -- but saw no sense in talking money if the trailer isn't right for us anyway.

She said she would look into having it inspected by a trailer place here so she would know what it needs. I said if she did, I'd like to know who looks at it so I could ask questions too, she seemed willing to let me know. Although she did say when the hail damage was done, she didn't find any local trailer people who were really interested in working on it -- she went to a glass place for the windows and had a fiberglass guy do the vent.

I hope the photos are viewable and would appreciate any thoughts or advice you experienced, talented people have to offer!

With gratitude,
Ellpea in CA
EllPea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Hello Ellpea

Unfortunately the pictures make it impossible for me to provide any evaluation of this Boler. If you could take pictures that are similar to what I post in the Boler Buyer Guide it provides a better idea of the condition. Specifically a picture of the door shut in the opening to see the alignment and angles at the top and sides of the door, a picture of the drivers side by the wheel well to show the potential "dimple" and although difficult a picture from underneath along the drivers side frame rail. Some caulking around the window is just an attempt to stop a leak which can only be fixed by removing the widow and resealing with butyl tape. The peeling and flaking paint could be just a poor job or it could be the result of more serious problems caused by flexing of the fiberglass.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:02 PM   #3

CA
Hello Ian,
Thank you for responding. Am frustrated that these photos aren't helpful!

BUT, I can say that I visually examined the door, and everything was plumb and flush, except for just a small *outward* gap on the lower left side. I tried to get that area photographed, but it was difficult to SHOW. Perhaps if I'd included something next to it for scale? I'd say the spacing was more than 1/4" but also equal to or less than 1/2".

I did not see a dimple behind the driver's side wheel. We were examining things pretty closely, and both have some experience in scanning down the sides of vehicles to look for body damage repair.

The flaking/chipping paint we did photograph seemed to me to be either poor prep or improper paint. The one area photographed where there was more serious cracking and flaking looks like a fiberglass repair that was poorly finished (or perhaps filled with the wrong material) and then painted over.

I CAN go back on Monday and take additional photos. But can you give me any thoughts on this with what we have so far?

Is it possible to tell if this is a wood or a fiberglass floor? Seller didn't know. I wasn't able to tell by looking and also feeling underneath. Was hoping someone who knew what the underside actually looks like would be able to tell me.

Any thoughts on her asking price?

Thank you for your help!

Best,
Ellpea
Old 06-21-2015, 06:14 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Your descriptions helped considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Thank you for responding. Am frustrated that these photos aren't helpful!

BUT, I can say that I visually examined the door, and everything was plumb and flush, except for just a small *outward* gap on the lower left side. I tried to get that area photographed, but it was difficult to SHOW. Perhaps if I'd included something next to it for scale? I'd say the spacing was more than 1/4" but also equal to or less than 1/2".
The door is probably just needs a hinge adjustment but definitely needs a hinge rebuild kit. The ball is completely worn out and with the spring missing and the bolt tightened like it is the hinge will be binding and placing a lot of stress on the fiberglass where the hinge mounts

Quote:
I did not see a dimple behind the driver's side wheel. We were examining things pretty closely, and both have some experience in scanning down the sides of vehicles to look for body damage repair.
All indications then seem to say the frame is OK

Quote:
The flaking/chipping paint we did photograph seemed to me to be either poor prep or improper paint. The one area photographed where there was more serious cracking and flaking looks like a fiberglass repair that was poorly finished (or perhaps filled with the wrong material) and then painted over.
Prep is critical on fiberglass, wax residue that gets embedded into the gel coat can cause the exact problems

Quote:
Is it possible to tell if this is a wood or a fiberglass floor? Seller didn't know. I wasn't able to tell by looking and also feeling underneath. Was hoping someone who knew what the underside actually looks like would be able to tell me.
There is definitely fiberglass shown on the underside of the floor in several of he pictures, this would indicate the floor is probably fiberglass with a wood core

Quote:
Any thoughts on her asking price?
$3500-$5000
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Hello,
When I first saw this she said she wanted what she paid for it, $5K. Since then she's posted it on Craig's list for $7K. She called to let me know she had one buyer who did not seem swayed by the price, and wanted to know if I would want to match that price... I told her it was too much for me (that buyer never showed up). I still don't quite know if she would stick to the $5K for me if someone else doesn't come along -- but saw no sense in talking money if the trailer isn't right for us anyway.
Ellpea in CA
As a reference to prices and what she originally told you here asking price was, we gave much less than half that for ours only 3 months ago. It was overall in good campable condition when we got it but there were things we didn't like so we started to fix it up then found some hidden rot in the plywood floors and moisture behind the ensolite so we decided then to do a total rebuild since we had to replace all the floors. I took the body off the frame to do that and sanded/wirebrushed and painted the frame too. Have done a lot of fiberglass repair too. Tons of prepwork/sanding for paint. We are adding a front bath to ours so that is adding a lot to the time and cost factor of our rebuild. I am glad we made the decision, the only thing I would do different would have been to camp in it first as the restoration is taking much longer than expected as the weather delayed us 2 weeks in March and now the 90+ degree Georgia heat & humidity is making it unpleasant to work on it during the hotter part of the day. Even after we finish our renovations we will still have less total cost in ours (cost of trailer plus what we have spent on it in materials, appliances, paint, etc.) by at lease a couple of thousand and it will be better than new quality IMO. But keep in mind we are doing all of the labor, I can weld, fabricate & do carpentry wife is helping too and she can also sew & is redoing all our cushions with new covers & curtains. We are replacing the ensolite with 1/2" foam sheet insulation & marine grade vinyl. We probably have at least 500 hours of labor in our rebuild and we are only about 75% complete.

If price is a factor there are bargains to be had out there if you are able & willing to do the work. Search Craigslist extensively using Google (not craiglists search box) as you will find results from all over (i.e. "scamp site:craigslist.org" typed into Google). When you find one at a really good price be willing to act quick as they don't last long, but also don't buy something with damage you can't repair or are not willing to pay to have fixed (that later part can offset the cost of a good "bargain" price. I know where there is a scamp 13' for $250 but it needs major fiberglass repair. If it is still there when I complete this one I may take it on as my next project.

Good luck!
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #6

CA
Hello,

Thank you everyone for your help and advice so far!

Can someone tell me the height and width measurements of the Bolers?

I need to park it alongside my house, and the driveway at its widest is 105 inches. There is also a drainpipe sticking out from the rain gutter; it is 84" high slanting down to 81".

I can't believe this little sweetie wouldn't fit in there, but hubby doesn't think so!

Am still determined to make this work... somehow!

Thank you,

Ellpea

Tags
boler