1986 Cadet Fiberglass front window replacement. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 1986 Cadet
While my parents were stopped at a gas station in their '86' cadet they locked their keys inside. A well meaning stranger tried to help and cracked the front fiberglass window while trying to put her hand in while it was still latched. I have inherited this great little trailer.
Does anyone have any idea where I could find access to a replacement or ideas of how to fix a fiberglass window.

Thanks

Lois

Lois currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Lois
First off welcome to this forum.I hope you enjoy it.
My question to you is---Is it just the glass thats broken or is there damage to fiberglass itself.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I second Ches' Hey welcome to FiberglassRV.

Instead of fiberglass, do you possibly mean plexiglass? Any glass shop can replace the plexiglass if that's the case.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
While my parents were stopped at a gas station in their '86' cadet they locked their keys inside. A well meaning stranger tried to help and cracked the front fiberglass window while trying to put her hand in while it was still latched. I have inherited this great little trailer.
Does anyone have any idea where I could find access to a replacement or ideas of how to fix a fiberglass window.

Thanks

Lois
Hi: Lois... I thought the plexiglass windows front/rear on the Cadet trailers were vacuum molded to the raised shape of the windows!!! Not imposible to replace but very difficult. A repair might just be a better solution. Start with a visit to a glass shop for some info!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:10 AM   #5

Lois, one of our most active Cadet owners (who's since sold the trailer) is DonInChat, the front window was a major problem for him as well. He documented some of the restoration work in a blog and it's available here: 1985 Cadet Restoration Project. The front window is still available in Europe.

I'd take it to a professional, because silicone caulk isn't going to be a long term solution.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #6

Trailer:
Niewiadow in Ujazd, Poland are still in business and are still making the same 126 trailer - and it looks to me like it probably still has the very same front window!

The English version of Niewiadow's web site incudes a couple of email addresses of company people - I'm guessing they speak English.

Their British agent might be able to help you Freedom Caravans though I doubt their spares department are used to sending things abroad.

Shipping from Europe is very expensive - typically twice the cost of sending the same thing from the US to here - why, I don't know!

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 1986 Cadet
Thank you all for your replies. Yes I did mean plexiglass, not fiberglass. We drilled a small hole at the very top of the crack that was spreading, and that has seemed to stop the crack from travelling up toward the top of the window. We have the complete broken off piece, so will take it to a shop locally and see what I can find out about having it repaired.

I emailed the factory in poland, but have received no response, but I suspect it would probably cost too much to have a new window shipped to Canada anyway.

I had a look at the restoration website mentioned. I was happy to note that our trailer (identical to the one on the blog) is in pristine condition except for the broken window, and some padded fabric coming loose off from the fiberglass frame where it was initially glued on at the factory.

Very interesting site this. Thanks for the welcome. I'll be back.

Thanks Lois
Attached Thumbnails
Tea__s_on_021.jpg  
Lois currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #8

Trailer: Cadet
I sure don't know, but if you find one will you please let me know? I have the same trailer (love it) and the same problem. .
Nancy Arnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Nancy, you may want to remove your email address and pm it to Lois. There are online nasties that surf for email addies in forums to add to their spam lists.
I love your Cadet trailers !!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Nancy, you may want to remove your email address and pm it to Lois. There are online nasties that surf for email addies in forums to add to their spam lists.
They're called "Bots" and run without human intervention with the sole purpose is to harvest phone numbers and e-mail addresses. It's been addressed in this topic: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ber-45034.html
Old 08-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #11

Red face

Quote:

Thank you for the tip. If I can figure out how to do that I'll take care of it asap. (I'm much better at driving the trailer than I am at manipulating the computer!)
Oh yes, what does "pm it to Lois" mean.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #12

Red face

Quote:
Rats! I thought I removed it - and it showed up that I did in one place - but then I went to another section and there it was again. I don't seem to be able to open it up in that spot. I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Arnfield View Post
Thank you for the tip. If I can figure out how to do that I'll take care of it asap. (I'm much better at driving the trailer than I am at manipulating the computer!)
Oh yes, what does "pm it to Lois" mean.
Nancy, 'pm' means to send a private message. If you click on Lois's name, you will see a list of choices. One will be to send a 'private message' to her. Click on it and type your message. It will be sent to the email that Lois has registered with this site.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
So, Lois, did your parents ever get their keys?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cadet