1990 Scamp 16 new owner questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2003, 07:30 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
1990 Scamp 16 new owner questions

I just became the owner of a 1990 Scamp 16. It seems in very good shape, just a couple of bugs that I hope someone can get me started on.

1. The magnetic door seal around the Domestic RM 2201 refrigerator is so mildewy I wonder if I can clean it up. Anyone know how to remove the old seal? Seems it may be glued on under the aluminum frame around the door. I am temped to ask Domestic if they sell a replacement door and/or magnetic seal.

2. I installed a new battery hoping to have some 12 volt lights. Nothing. My first thought was check the fuses. There is one fuse in the tongue mounted battery box that I checked. Before I go through the trailer with my volt meter, are there other fuses I should check? I expected to find a master fuse block somewhere. So far it eludes me. Is there one?

Thanks very much for your time, hope to see you on the road.

john linck
madison wisconsin

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 08:19 AM   #2

Fuses

Congratulations on your new Scamp! I can't give you an exact answer because I have a Casita, but there are many Scamp owners on here and they will be able to help.

In the meantime, I feel certain that you probably have a fuse box somewhere. Mine is located by my converter. Have you checked there? I have two breaker switches and several fuses.

:E :E Check around, I'll bet you find it. If not, a Scamp owner will be here soon to answer your questions.

Old 05-11-2003, 10:47 AM   #3

congrats on your 16

I dont have a scamp either , with that said do you have 12 volt lights when you plug into 120 ac? take a look at the converter it might have switch that goes 110 off battery and there are fuses:cheers on the converter most of the time , take a look
Boys and thier toys

Old 05-11-2003, 02:12 PM   #4

Main Fuse

There are several fuses. You should find a fuse near where the positive wire attaches to the battery, and another one inside the trailer where the 12 volt harness comes through the wall of the trailer. If either of these fuses are bad, the battery will not supply power to the trailer. Also, the black wire is positive; which is backwards from what I've learned about low voltage circuits. If you connected it backwards, you almost certainly blew a fuse.

For this and more information about your Scamp, see the owners manual for my 2000 Scamp 16 on my web site.

-- Dan Meyer

Old 05-11-2003, 07:16 PM   #5

12v trubbies

Ground; check for ground

Old 05-11-2003, 09:00 PM   #6

Battery problem

John,

I use to have a 90 Scamp 16. Mine had a fuse in the battery box like yours and another one in the converter. It is on the end of the converter. I don't remember any others. There wasn't a factory fuse panel on the trailer.

After I blew the fuse at the battery a couple times, I installed a fuse holder through the fiberglass lower cabinet in the front. I cut the lead coming in the trailer and ran it through the new fuse. Then I replaced the fuse in the battery box with a 30 amp. That way the inside fuse would blow first and could be changed without going outside. I used it as a main fuse, removing it when I stored the trailer.

Good Luck

Old 05-12-2003, 05:04 AM   #7

fuse

Hi John:wave

We have a'95 Scamp standard. There is a fuse at the battery and one in the storage space under the sofa. The first compartment by the door.

Have fun and happy camping;

Old 05-12-2003, 10:32 AM   #8

Thanks for all your ideas. Ron's 1990 16 seems identical to mine, one fuse in the battery box and one in the converter. I had checked the battery box fuse, but only later checked the spring in that fuse holder. It was so rusty very little pressure was pushing the fuse to the live contact. I will add a new one this week. I was pleased to discover all the 12 volt items worked perfectly once I corrected the open circuit.

I think I will add a sub panel under the front seat close to the battery. I want to add more 12 volt options to the trailer, lights, inverter, 12 volt outlets, etc. I don't trust the wire gauge Scamp used back to the converter and its path is difficult to inspect.

Again thanks very much for your ideas,

john

Old 05-12-2003, 02:12 PM   #9

John, where did you find the Scamp? I dont know if you cought it from the other thread but I wanted to thank you for posting the info about the Trillium. I went and bought it last weekend.

Rich

Old 05-12-2003, 09:26 PM   #10

Rich,

I found the ad for the Scamp in the same issue of the Wisconsin State Journal as carried your Trillium ad. It cost a lot more though. I am glad my post worked for you. Good luck on the Trillium. I am still amazed both were for sale close by at the same time.

john

Tags
scamp