1999 Casita - electrical question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2021, 07:33 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1999 Casita Spirit Deluxe
South Carolina
Registry
1999 Casita - electrical question

Without warning the power in the kitchen quit working. The plug for the microwave, the plug next to the stove and the Fridge. I went into the MagneTek box and one of the breakers had tripped. I reset it. Still nothing. Then I replaced the 15a fuse that was referenced for "Fridge" (3rd position from left). I'm baffled. Any other ideas?
GerthT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:09 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
You might try resetting the 120 VAC GFCI outlet located inside, on the rear side of the fiberglass galley cabinet. They do trip sometimes, and when they do, it's generally due to a corroded outlet outside the trailer near the lower fridge vent, (which may also need replacing if the reset won't hold.) Often, the weather seal gasket around the outside outlet cover plate dries out, gets brittle, and cracks. This lets moisture into the outlet box which causes corrosion on the outlets terminal screws. I would just replace it outright. Don't attempt to clean the wire ends/terminals, as the will be corroded again in just a few months. I'd recommend buying a new 15 Amp receptacle and a new cover plate gasket at any of the "big box" stores. Shouldn't run you more than $5 bucks or less.

And just as a point of clarification, the fuses are only for 12 VDC circuits. All 120 VAC circuits are on circuit breakers, not fuses.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If you purchase a new receptacle get one that is weather resistant
They have a nylon body and the metal parts are corrosion resistant
Standard residential grade receptacles are cheap but they are NOT the best choice for damp locations such as exterior receptacles
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:18 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
And just as a point of clarification, the fuses are only for 12 VDC circuits. All 120 VAC circuits are on circuit breakers, not fuses.
So was the 12vdc fuse for the fridge DC circuit blown?
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:55 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1999 Casita Spirit Deluxe
South Carolina
Registry
thanks folks - I didn't even realize there was a GCMI there! I will check that first when I get back to the camper next weekend. Also thanks for the info on the fuses, I was not aware of that either!
GerthT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:09 PM   #6

Name: Mark Bradley
Trailer: 1976 Boler B-1300 1980 Bigfoot B-17
Manitoba
If it was the GFCI receptacle that tripped and therefore you lost power to your other receptacles or appliances I would suggest not to screw the other wires that were on the load side of the GFCI receptacle. Get a electrician to tie the white wires together and the black wires together with a pigtail of the same colour onto each marette (wire connector). Tie the pigtails onto the line side your GFCI receptacle. This way the GFCI Will not disconnect power to your other receptacles or appliances if it trips. This is allowed under the Canadian Electrical Code or the National Electrical Code (U.S.).
Mark Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, electrical