2003 Scamp 16SD tank sizes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2006, 01:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Thumbs up

Since we are taking a trip with grandkids soon I am wondering about tank capacities. If I had an idea about what size they are at least I would kind of have an idea of whether they should be full or empty or whatever. Black, grey and fresh water tank sizes? Anybody know?
What happens if grey tank fills up and what happens if black water tank fills up (YUK)? Does the toilet start to seep for the black tank and water comes up out of the shower drain for the grey? I've seen here that people have put gages on them but I think I'm not that ambitious at this point and hope to drain and fill often during our 2.5 week trip. I would just feel better if I knew what size they were. I can look under the rear seat and see the fresh tank.
Thanks. Leaving the 7th of June.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Scamp advertises the gray water tank at 26 gallons, and the black water tank at 8 or 9 gallons (I can't find a reference at this time...). The fresh water is 12 gallons. Experience tells me that my 2000 Scamp 16's tanks are about this size.

What happens of the gray water tank overfills? It spills over via the vent tube under the trailer. What happens of the black water tank fills up? It spills over via the vent on the side of the trailer. (ask me how I know this ). There is no connection between the black and gray water tanks; in fact, there are two separate outlets, one for each tank.

There is no need for gauges, as the gray water is larger then fresh water by a factor of more than two. If you must know the level of the fresh water tank, simply shine a flashlight into the translucent tank. You can shine a flashlight through the walls of the black tank as well, but due to the heavier construction it is harder to see the level of the contents. Alternatively, you can simply look into the tank when you flush ( on the latter counts).

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:08 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Chris Z,

Here's the specifications I found. I don't know if this is an official Scamp website, but it's the only one I've found with tank sizes:

Scamp Specifications

Note that all three sizes of Scamps have the same size tanks.

For comparison, my 17' Casita has the same size gray water tank but double the size of fresh and black water tanks. My wife and I can stay out 5 days before dumping the black water tank; a little longer if I use the campground toilet.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Since we are taking a trip with grandkids soon I am wondering about tank capacities. If I had an idea about what size they are at least I would kind of have an idea of whether they should be full or empty or whatever. Black, grey and fresh water tank sizes? Anybody know?
Thanks. Leaving the 7th of June.
A lot depends on what type of camping you are intending to do. Even the "primitive" camp sites have toilets and water... most have showers. The ones my wife and I have stayed at do not have dump stations so you probably want to use he campground facilities to the extent possible (if you camp in a commercial campground with sewer connections you don't have to worry about any of the internal tanks anyway). My wife and I recently camped in a primitive campground in Cary (Raleigh metro) for seven days. We use the "black" holding tank when we had to pee in the middle of the night (toilet paper in the trash bag) and the gray tank for rinsing coffee cups etc. After the seven days there was only about five gallons in the gray tank and a gallon or so in the black. When we returned home I emptied both into the sewer clean-out using a garden hose. When using a commercial campground without a sewer connection but with power and water we easily go three-four days with the holding tanks and empty both before getting on the road again (with the price of gas you don't want to tow with the tanks full anyway and dumping when you get home might be a real pain).

A good way to get an idea of how long the gray tank will last without emptying them is to use the system at home and measure the volume collected (I can take a reasonable shower using a bit over two gallons of water).
John & Sandy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Thanks !!!
Just gives me an idea of where I am.
Chris
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp