2010 Casita All Fans are dead at once. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2021, 07:52 PM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: Casita
Florida
2010 Casita All Fans are dead at once.

In my Casita FD, all fans have suddenly stopped working since our last trip a year ago. The Fantastic Fan, Range Hood Fan/light and the front Bathroom Vent fan.
The breakers and all fuses check out and have power. But no power at all 3 fans.
Has anyone had this happen. I am assuming that if I find my problem I will likely fix all three. I just don’t have a wire diagram and would rather start with the first power leg/Fan and work my way back to the fuse box. Does anyone know if all the fans are fed from the same power run and which fixture gets it first? Or where I might find a wire diagram for a 2010 Casita FD
Andycamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:19 PM   #2

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Do all the lights work?

Unfortunately, it's probably time to start tracing wires. I'd definitely start at the back of the fuse panel - travel trailers often use cheap spade connectors and crimp them poorly. If you're lucky, it's just the wire coming out of the crimp or the connector falling off.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:12 AM   #3

Name: Bonnie
Massachusetts
Moderators, consider moving this thread to the electrical category.

Andy, Locate the fuse for the fans.* Pull the fuse out. Switch on the fan (any one). Check for voltage at the two terminals where the fuse would normally connect.

With the fan switch in the on position, the electrical circuits are complete except for the one break you made by pulling the fuse. One side of that fuse terminal is connected to the 12 volt +. The other side of that fuse is connected through the switch and fan motor windings to the battery's -. Your meter will be measuring the difference.
If you don't have a difference of 12 volts with this check then there's another break (other than the pulled fuse) in the completion of the electric circuit.
If you do have 12 volts, then the circuit integrity is complete and you can start looking elsewhere (fan physically jammed?).
Since all fans have stopped functioning at once, I'm more inclined to suspect a shared cause rather than mud daubers or wasps building nests in each all at the same time.
Jon MB

* The presumption is that ONLY the fans are on this fuse. For the circuit integrity check to work EVERYTHING powered by this fuse will need to be physically switched to off.
Bonnie RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:11 AM   #4

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
On my Casita, when the CO 2 alarm would go off for no particular reason, I would pull the fuse which would silence it but it would also shut off several lights and plugs. You might take a look in that area.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:37 AM   #5

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Question

Based on the layouts, I suspect that there might be some similarity between the Freedom & Spirit models. According to the wiring diagram for the Spirit Deluxe in the CASITA TRAVEL TRAILER A-Z OWNER'S GUIDE, (also available on Amazon) the range hood and the bath fan are on the same fuse (along with the lights above the side dinette and sink). The fantastic fan is on the same fuse as the lights above the rear dinette and the water pump.

Next up would be to follow Jon’s & Bonnie’s advice: dust off your multimeter and check out the voltage readings at the fuses and on each fan.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:27 PM   #6

Name: CalCop
California
Here's the wiring diagram

Click image for larger version

Name:	Casita Wiring.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	141756
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:36 AM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Check continuity of the fuse. I had a fuse blow at the very end, where it connected to the fuse block. Looking at the fuse it looked fine in the middle where one expects them to blow. A little corrosion on the contacts had made the end get hotter and the fuse "blew" at the very end of the fuse wire.

I checked a lot of wiring before realizing I had no continuity across the fuse. Little fine sandpaper to the contacts, some silicon grease and a new fuse and all was well again.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 03:50 PM   #8

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
I would start by checking EVERYTHING. See if anything and what has stopped working besides the fans. There is a posted wiring diagram here and it looks like if the fuse or the back of the fuse block is the issue then several lights will also stop working. So did they?

Don't forget that a circuit is that. A circuit. You have to have as it were a full circle. And the ground is part of that circle. From looking at the diagram above I would be suspicious that a ground line came lose.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 06:00 PM   #9

Name: Terry
Trailer: Gulfstream
Memphis
One RV owner w/ similar complaint on lighting found a crimp splice on floor behind Power/Fuse center that wire came out of? Start w/ Checking all fuse screws for tightness and voltage?
THene1713 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita