2017 Casita Cutlery Drawer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2021, 03:45 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2017 Casita 17' SD
Colorado
2017 Casita Cutlery Drawer

Hello! The cutlery drawer in our gently used 2017 Casita Spirit Deluxe has suddenly began to impinge onto the electrical outlet box inside of the sink/gas heater/storage compartment. When the back of the drawer contacts the electrical outlet box, it prevents the drawer from closing by about 1/2 inch.

Any thoughts on a remedy? Does there exist a thinner outlet box that I could replace the factory one with?

Thanks!
wdavisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:12 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
seems to me that something must have moved somehow. i mean, neither the outlet box nor the drawer can grow a half inch. so, i'd look for what caused this and try to remedy that. either that outlet box has come adrift (not a good thing) or the drawer is coming apart. my drawer lost integrity (fell apart) on a trip a few years back and i could only patch as opposed to repair until i reached home and built a new drawer which led to all new cabinet doors (but, that's another story).

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:28 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Your plastic drawer center slider guide, mounted on the back of the drawer itself, may have broke. If it has, (and it is what I suspect has happened,) then you need to go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a new one to put on the back of the drawer itself. Very cheap part right out of the bin in the drawer hardware section. It keeps the drawer on the center rail track so that it slides in and out straight. To remove the drawer itself to check it, pull the drawer out until it hits the stop, then reach underneath the middle of the drawer and press upward on the detent on the middle rail so that the drawer can be fully removed from the track.
It will be similar to this item. (Link below.) Note: this isn't necessarily the specific piece you need. It is only a depiction of what you need. Be sure to take your broken one with you for comparison because they come in several different sizes and shapes!
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Prime-Line-...de-Kit/3020255
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0001.jpg  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:10 PM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2017 Casita 17' SD
Colorado
2017 Casita Cutlery Drawer

Patrick & Casita Greg:

Just got back from a trip. Thanks for your replies! Both are helpful. I looked at the center drawer support rail, the side of the sink cabinet, the outlet box for movement, and could not see any. All are immovable upon pressing against them. The drawer center slider guide is a great idea - but mine is not broken. So, I removed the brown, plastic side guides and the drawer closes. So, one of them may have moved. One is split where the screws were installed at the factory. Removing it first did not allow the drawer to close, but removing the undamaged one did. It gave about 1/32 inch additional sideways clearance for the drawer to pass by the outlet box. So I filled the side guides' screw holes with Durham's Water Putty, & will re-drill them giving the sideways clearance needed.

I measured the distances from the face of the sink cabinet to the outlet box. It allows 17 1/8 inches for the drawer length. The drawer length distance from the back of the drawer to the inside of the face where it contacts the sink cabinet is 17 3/4 inches. Why couldn't Casita locate the outlet box 1 inch farther away from the drawer face? There's 6 1/2 inches of space between the edge of the outlet box and the inside of the Casita to do this. Maybe the installer at the factory just had a bad measuring day when the outlet hole was cut. If you feel like it, I'd be curious what distances are allowed in your Casitas.

Thanks for your help.

Good traveling!
wdavisco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita