3 dumb questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2010, 06:37 AM   #1

Name: Kathie
Trailer: U-HAUL VT16
upstate ny
Question 3 dumb questions

Please excuse the simplicity of these questions but if you don't know, you don't know!
1. The wax you all are talking about, is that car wax?
2. I was reading posts about a coating like gym floors have, is this over the wax?
3. I want to put up a magnetic backsplash but do not want to screw around with the integraty of the VT so would like to be able to remove without damage. How do I put it up without damaging the fiberglass?

THANKS
kbeale NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeale NY View Post
Please excuse the simplicity of these questions but if you don't know, you don't know!

No.... It's boat fiberglass wax. there are many good brands but most prefer Maguires

2. I was reading posts about a coating like gym floors have, is this over the wax?
Don't put this over your wax.... this coating is like Poly glo which is supposed to give a really good shine but long term testing to see if it will yellow is still up in the air

3. I want to put up a magnetic backsplash but do not want to screw around with the integraty of the VT so would like to be able to remove without damage. How do I put it up without damaging the fiberglass?
Go into Lowes and they have a commercial velcro there that i have been having good luck with.... go for the $$ don't buy the cheap stuff ..... You could also put a "Dab" of Silicone in each corner...tape it in place for 24 hours til fully dry and if you want to remove it that little dab of silicone will come off fairly easy.... I used to use this trick on fancy tailight covers for when i had to go thru inspection and they would come off easily

THANKS
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:

THANKS
If you mean the RedMax, which has had a lot of recent posts, it is a floor wax. So far, people are liking it a lot. Let's see by next year how well it lasts. I hope it has holding power because if it does, I'll be wanting to use it.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #4

upstate ny
Wink Thanks for the input

well now I know 3x as much as I did this morning!
Old 12-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm going to use the Red Max Pro on my egg in the Spring and if it works well I'll bring you a sample to the rally in July- you can get it at Lowes in the mop department- $15/gallon
By the way there is no such thing as a dumb question, there are only unasked questions!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #6

upstate ny
Thanks!
Oh, I can tell you by experience, there are dumb questions, I know because I am an elementery school teacher and I have hear some doozies!
Old 12-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
You could also use the double sided foam tape the boler people use for their seams. I think I've seen sheets of small squares sold in hardware stores for picture hanging etc.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Kbeale.....I believe the gal who sold the camper to the guy mzabo..had already applied poliglo to that camper you have. That is the one you bought? correct?............Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Joe[/QUOTE] "1. The wax you all are talking about, is that car wax?
No.... It's boat fiberglass wax. there are many good brands but most prefer Maguires"

Suspect an equally large number of us prefer the 3M products. Either way you can't go wrong.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Your right about 3M..... every product I buy from them is top shelf but have never tried any of their waxes.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #11

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
I recently found some poor patches on roof of the boler while clearing snow off will take down. repair and try the boat wax in the spring
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Commercial/heavy duty velcro is a wonderful product for removeable attachment points (like your future magnetic backsplash).

Another comment:

My wisest boss once told me that the only "dumb" question was the one that wasn't asked. Thirty five years later, I still agree with him.

Ask away, and never feel "dumb".

There are many people here to offer assistance.

Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The best wax is the one you use. That sounds strange, but true. Often folks buy really great products but find they are not the easiest to use so the poor trailer only gets an occasional wax job. If you find an easy to apply wax (or polish system) and find it easy to use, your trailer will get waxed more often.

I use Gel Gloss it's for fiberglass, about $4 a pint:
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #14

upstate ny
Yes thats the camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
Kbeale.....I believe the gal who sold the camper to the guy mzabo..had already applied poliglo to that camper you have. That is the one you bought? correct?............Bruce
Yes that is the camper I bought! If it was poliglowed does that mean I wouldn't do it again?
Thanks everyone for all the info. My last camper I got into and just went , this one seems to come with a responsibility that I am just beginning to understand. It was never my intention to get a rare vintage camper,( I was looking for an affortable light one.) it just ended up that way! But am finding this is rather cool!
So I am not just a newbie , I am an accidental newbie!
Old 12-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I think the poliglo site says apply another coat next year as needed or something...its kinda like floor wax really in my opinion..Future floor was gave me the same results on the rock gaurd. Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:39 AM   #16

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeale ny View Post
please excuse the simplicity of these questions but if you don't know, you don't know!
3. I want to put up a magnetic backsplash but do not want to screw around with the integraty of the vt so would like to be able to remove without damage. How do i put it up without damaging the fiberglass?

Thanks
rule #1. There are never any dumb questions!!!!!!
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Marg... Rule # 2; Always refer to rule # 1.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote