3M Scotchguard Pro film as rock chip shield? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2017, 04:41 PM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
3M Scotchguard Pro film as rock chip shield?

I had a clear film put over the front of my car to protect against rock chips. Has anyone tried applying the same film to the lower front of a Scamp? It seems reasonable to think the film would perform the same function on the front of a Scamp as it does on my car, but I don't know if you can apply it over fiberglass gelcoat instead of a car's clear coat.
Anyone have info/opinions? == Thanks!!
jcEmCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The 3M website will tell you everything you need to know about any of their products. Suggest you Google there.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
yes, I have 3M clear on the front, it has been there for about nine years, was put over white paint. I drove for a year first before putting it on and the chips that are there show underneath, and it is starting to yellow. I has taken some abuse as there are some good dings in it, but help up in a protection way very well, appearance is good. I didn't do the lower part as the curves are difficult, so it is just the mid section
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:27 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Some other considerations: The front of your tow vehicle is likely much farther from vehicles in front throwing rocks. Your trailer is at a constant distance from your tow vehicle, and that is close. Your tow vehicle's tire tread might have a considerable effect on rocks thrown at the trailer, as rocks wedge in tread before being launched. Mud flaps could also make a big difference, like on some pickups.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I will be painting our 17 Boler in the spring. After the paint has cured I'm going to paint the front with white plastidip to protect from rock chips.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #6

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Is Plastidip a Canadian Product ? I have family in Canmore AB.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #7

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
It may be canadian but there are lots of paint suppliers that carry rubberized paint. Here's a link to plastidip products page.

plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/

I like that it can be pealed off and re-applied as needed.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #8

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
It may be canadian but there are lots of paint suppliers that carry rubberized paint. Here's a link to plastidip products page.

plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/

I like that it can be pealed off and re-applied as needed.
Their head office is in MN.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:51 PM   #9

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
3M product is good, but as these products age they can bond with the paint underneath. Wrecking the paint. If your rig spends a lot of time in the sun I would recommend planing to reapply the protection every 5-8 years, 3M should have guidelines on how long it will last when exposed to UV light.

I used to work in transportation graphic design and worked with the 3M group that developed these materials.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:04 AM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
This 3M product is rated to use on top of fiberglass so there should be no issue with the PSA adhesive applying it on top of gel coat.

But do remember that you are going to end up with the situation that happens when you remove pin stripes that have been on fiberglass gel coat for a number of years. That is the gel coat that was protected by the rPW will still be shiny but the unprotected gel coat adjacent to it will have aged from the UV exposure.

So basically the issue you will experience is exactly the opposite of what you are worrying about. You don't have damage under it but you will have damage where there is no pro film
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:31 AM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
This 3M product is rated to use on top of fiberglass so there should be no issue with the PSA adhesive applying it on top of gel coat.

But do remember that you are going to end up with the situation that happens when you remove pin stripes that have been on fiberglass gel coat for a number of years. That is the gel coat that was protected by the rPW will still be shiny but the unprotected gel coat adjacent to it will have aged from the UV exposure.

So basically the issue you will experience is exactly the opposite of what you are worrying about. You don't have damage under it but you will have damage where there is no pro film
Right, assuming the flim is going over gel coat.
If it's going over paint, of which there are a fair number of FGRV that have been painted on this list. it's even more of an issues since paint over gelcoat can have adhesion issues especially if the paint was applied years after the part was molded.

In addition, the 3M film, while good stuff, doesn't last forever. it will fog, yellow and even crack with long term exposure to UV light and environment pollutants, regardless of what substrate it's on. Its much easier to replace it before it's too badly damaged by exposure.

Typically with the clear film products they don't block nearly as much UV light as the printed film products do (like the graphics on a RV) so you can expect to see less ghosting when you remove the clear film then if you removed a printed graphic.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
Right, assuming the flim is going over gel coat.
If it's going over paint, of which there are a fair number of FGRV that have been painted on this list. it's even more of an issues since paint over gelcoat can have adhesion issues especially if the paint was applied years after the part was molded.
He never said his FRGV was painted....
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:53 AM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
He never said his FRGV was painted....
Aye aye aye...
Right, they didn't say if it was painted or not. But one still needs to be aware of the lifespan of outdoor rated 3M films and what can happen to them regardless of the substrate it's going on.

3M makes a great product that lasts a long time, but when it ages out, it ages out rather quick and is a pain to deal with
Old 10-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #14

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I have a device like a mud flap that trucks use. It slides onto the receiver hitch post before it is placed into the receiver receptacle. It extends left to right the width of the vehicle, it is a few inches above the ground. It is one piece approximately 2 feet high it has vertical cuts about 8 inches apart, the cuts overlap the next piece to let the air pass thru I still get chips. I asked an engineer friend why he didn't use one. He felt the shield sucks the rocks up, then the trailer runs into them. My shield could be worthless, ??. I have put the 3M over head lights; by their directions, using a hair drier, or heat gun, the film will form over compound curves ( I don't know what a curved outward surface is called ) heating the surface it will peal off.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote