4X4 Sewer bumper? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
A friend is going to weld a new bumper on my Casita. The general 4X4 sewer bumper. Can anyone suggest a good place to order one? He's also going to cut it down to size for me (I can't find one for a fiberglass trailer size).

Any suggestions for an online source?
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
A friend is going to weld a new bumper on my Casita. The general 4X4 sewer bumper. Can anyone suggest a good place to order one? He's also going to cut it down to size for me (I can't find one for a fiberglass trailer size).

Any suggestions for an online source?
I bought mine at a local RV supply store. It's heavy, not sure I'd want it shipped, after all... it's supposed to be used also as a bumper.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #3

Quote:
I bought mine at a local RV supply store. It's heavy, not sure I'd want it shipped, after all... it's supposed to be used also as a bumper.
Already tried that. They were out of stock and suggested that I buy it from their online store.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Already tried that. They were out of stock and suggested that I buy it from their online store.
Did you ask what shipping would cost? If they'd ship it for free, why not. But I bet it has to go truck freight, not UPS. Mine was about 8' long and I bet weighed 30-35 lbs. Really awkward to carry!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:09 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
I used to go for the 4" x 4" metal bumpers. What a pain! Especially when you l;ost one of the end caps. What I did for my Fiber Stream was have a shop make up a bracket to hold two 4" white PVC sewer pipes. Drilled 1" holes along the bottom of each pipe. Closed one end, the other has a screw cap. The upper one holds tarp poles, the lower one holds the hose.

Have a look here!

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/55112...BqdPX?start=132

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Fiber Stream originally had a body contoured cosmetic "bumper" and a short tube up front to store the sewer hose.
When I bought mine, the bumper had been replaced with a wood 2" x 4".

I liked the idea of a 4" x 4" hollow bumper to hold the hose; I didn't want a rusty metal one.

Mine is a vinyl fencepost sleeve from Lowe's. It bolts to the brackets on the frame that held the original bumper.
The rubber endcap "expands" to fit when you press it from convex to concave. I haven't lost it yet.
Attached Thumbnails
left_rear_corner.jpg  
Old 08-10-2008, 07:31 AM   #7

Mine has to hold a receiver for a bike rack. So plastic is out of the question.

I finally nabbed one off of Ebay. At a much reduced price! The folk at Casita wanted $199.99. Ouch. I got mine for $83.00.

It's a 96" bumper, so my pal will cut it down and weld it on after sawing off the old one. I'm going to use the excess to create a holder for the sewer hose which I'll mount on the tongue.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #8

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Bob Smith,
A word of caution...before you slide the hose inside, check the bumper for flashing that can snag the plastic & puncture it. There have been a number of comments about this in the past. At the very least, put that internal seam on the top of the bumper so the hose is not lying on it. It might be wise to retain your current hose storage. There may be other things which can be stored in that hollow "bumper".
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Bob Smith,
A word of caution...before you slide the hose inside, check the bumper for flashing that can snag the plastic & puncture it. There have been a number of comments about this in the past. At the very least, put that internal seam on the top of the bumper so the hose is not lying on it. It might be wise to retain your current hose storage. There may be other things which can be stored in that hollow "bumper".
Kurt & Ann K.
Thanks! Will do!

Old 08-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #10

Woo HOO! My bumper arrived today. It's a 96" bumper, so my pal is going to cut it down. He suggest I retain the other section and mount it with brackets on the tongue and use it to store the hose rather than doing so in the rear bumper. I think I'm going to take his advice and do that.

At any rate, my Casita will be travel-worthy within a few days! At last!
Old 08-13-2008, 07:47 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I purchased a section of 4" diameter PVC drain and cut a length section out of it about 1" to 1 1/2" wide (you might test the cutout width necessary because I did this a number of years ago and don’t remember for sure) and collasped the tube and slid it into the 4" rear bumper. This keeps the drain hose off of the metal and prevents tearing it on any rough spot in the bumper tube.
Alan #1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #12

Quote:
I purchased a section of 4" diameter PVC drain and cut a length section out of it about 1" to 1 1/2" wide (you might test the cutout width necessary because I did this a number of years ago and don’t remember for sure) and collasped the tube and slid it into the 4" rear bumper. This keeps the drain hose off of the metal and prevents tearing it on any rough spot in the bumper tube.
Cool idea!!! I'll give it a try!

Name:   IMG_5933E.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  71.4 KB

Here's the new bumper that my friend welded on.

Name:   IMG_5935E.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  61.4 KB

Another view of the new bumper. Excellent work!