7" brakes - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-23-2017, 03:08 PM   #1

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
7" brakes

I have commented often and from experience that 7" trailer brakes, while adequate to the task, could not be described as aggressive at any setting.
Last month I installed everything from the spindle out, on my 13D just before our ScampCamp trip.
Using my Prodigy controller and the new HD Carlisle tires I found that my new brakes performed at a level which seemed on par with their larger 10" counterparts, even after 3000 miles.
They can actually be too aggressive at higher settings.
The new brakes are "no name" Chinese with no particular claim to precision or quality, in fact I had to replace at least one badly threaded stud during assembly.
Could it be a better brake compound? Or maybe better more effective magnets? At any rate they are better performing brakes.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:28 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
May be a "softer" lining compound. Years ago, for my '69 Bronco that was 4 wheel drum brakes, I would buy brake shoes that had a lining that was known for better stopping power, but also wore out quicker. Who knows what the Chinese are using.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #3

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
May be a "softer" lining compound. Years ago, for my '69 Bronco that was 4 wheel drum brakes, I would buy brake shoes that had a lining that was known for better stopping power, but also wore out quicker. Who knows what the Chinese are using.
I'll report back in a couple of years, or when something happens.
My old shoes weren't worn out with over 70,000 miles, so it would be fine to trade more wear for better stopping power. They were noisy during break-in, but that could be either magnets or shoes.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:07 PM   #4
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Can you lock up the wheels? I have never been able to lock the wheels with 7" brakes and for a long time assumed it was the pad size. When someone posted they locked their wheels all the time I concluded it was my tires. More tire friction overcoming the brakes. Might not be your new brakes. Might be your new tires.
Raz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:21 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Last year I bought a set of 7" brakes, the loaded assembly, backing plate, shoes, magnets, the whole works, from etrailer. They were the AKE brand (or something like that). Put them on our old pop-up camper to give to our son.Less than a thousand miles later his brake controller was showing a fault code. We had met at a campground in Maine, and I didn't want to pull things apart there with no parts on hand, so figured I had a 50-50 chance of picking where the problem was. So I cut the wires at the right brake and the fault code went away. I ordered another brake assembly, and this spring I'll have to drive the 7 hours to his house to put it on. I wonder if I would have had better luck with the Dexter assemblies.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #6

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Can you lock up the wheels? I have never been able to lock the wheels with 7" brakes and for a long time assumed it was the pad size. When someone posted they locked their wheels all the time I concluded it was my tires. More tire friction overcoming the brakes. Might not be your new brakes. Might be your new tires.
Me neither until now. It is definitely the brakes, and I think it is most likely better magnets.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:10 AM   #7
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Me neither until now. It is definitely the brakes, and I think it is most likely better magnets.

I'm not sure about their electromagnets but the Chinese do make excellent permanent magnets.

Still, I would argue it's the tires.

Carlisle RH tread depth 10/32
Carlisle HD tread depth 8/32

To get the same tire life I assume they are using a harder rubber. If so, there would be less friction.

I too needed new tires. I passed on the HD in favor of the Maxxis. Unfortunately mine won't go on until May. Trailer is buried in snow. Now I'm curious to see how they behave. Did you get LRC or LRD? The D range seem to be cheaper on some sites?
Raz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:34 PM   #8

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I'm not sure about their electromagnets but the Chinese do make excellent permanent magnets.

Still, I would argue it's the tires.

Carlisle RH tread depth 10/32
Carlisle HD tread depth 8/32

To get the same tire life I assume they are using a harder rubber. If so, there would be less friction.

I too needed new tires. I passed on the HD in favor of the Maxxis. Unfortunately mine won't go on until May. Trailer is buried in snow. Now I'm curious to see how they behave. Did you get LRC or LRD? The D range seem to be cheaper on some sites?
I have a Scamp13D so load range "C".
It's not the tires.

Tags
brakes