'77 Boler -- total newbies - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #21

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
Progress report

So here are some photos of our progress. They are posted on our blog, but I thought I would drop a few here as well.

No more couch.

No more kitchen.

No more dining table/bed.

Water tank is out and will be thrown away.

New set of wheels, I hope the backspacing works.

We will hopefully get more done this weekend, maybe even get the body off the frame. We will see.

Jess did most of the hard work. I just sat back and watched.

-Sam

Sam and Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #22

Name: Todd
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
I think their Boler might have been the "corn" yellow variation when new. Gotta love those late 70s crazy Boler colors

Attachment 30855

Attachment 30858

Attachment 30856

Attachment 30859

Can you imagine what one of these looked like rolling off the factory floor, Bright Orange and shiny? Shoot, Amy, your Clementine is subtle in comparison

Attachment 30857

Attachment 30860
SIGN ME UP for these colored Bolers. Love 'em.
Nor_Cal_Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #23

Kansas
This week's progress is less about dramatic changes, and more about planning. Amazing how things slow down when the demolition is over

Cleaning seam tape and caulking the gaps has been frustrating (in case anyone could possibly stand to look at yet another seam photo, we have some on the Flickr page linked in our signature).

A chunk of our time is being eaten up by the hunt for a tow vehicle of our own -- time to part with our little hatchback.

No hurries though, as we still need to save up for the Boler's new axle and get the shell off the frame to repair a newly discovered crack and apply POR.

And the giant ceiling hole (15"x22") is on our radar. We had planned to patch 8" of the rectangle and install a freebie 14x14 Elixir vent in the remaining space. But, with still a whole inch of width to fudge, that sounded like a leak magnet. Odds are, we'll fiberglass the whole hole, then cut a new, more precise one in our preferred location once we're ready to invest in a quality vent fan. Nothing like learning to fiberglass on a great big highly structural ceiling hole (kidding, we'll practice somewhere else first, but tips are welcome!)
Old 09-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #24

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Heh, doesn't old adhesive make you want to scream?

I have had good luck with a couple of things (that I don't see in your "tried that" line-up).

One is denatured alcohol, and the other is 3M adhesive remover (quite a champ! And smells good)

Click image for larger version

Name:	adhesive remover.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	31074

I just finished removing some of the residue of 33-year-old contact cement from fiberglass (beneath Ensolite), and I swear, I was about to rent a jackhammer! I tried denatured alcohol, acetone, 3M adhesive remover, sanding, scraping, heat, lacquer thinner.... you name it. In the end I had success with a two-part attack: First I applied 3M adhesive remover and scrubbed with a Scotch-Brite pad. That left a sort of soft overall goo layer. Then I came back with denatured alcohol and a rag. That did the trick. Finally!

But I would give the 3M stuff a try on its own (since you are on the top of the Ensolite). If nothing else, it has many uses for other things.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #25

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
boler restoration

Sam and Jess You guys are doing a really great job on your little Boler!! In the last set of photos, page 2, 4 down in the middle captioned the stove is out. I don't know if you noticed but the stove top looks a lot like R2D2 and I swear it is smirking at you (you need to do something about that). Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #26

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
I don't know if you noticed but the stove top looks a lot like R2D2 and I swear it is smirking at you (
I agree it is smirking at you, (cropped from original picture below)

Name:	Stove.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	31075

Perhaps you meant C3PO rather than R2D2

Name:	Robots.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	31076

Personally, I thought it looked a lot more like 790 from the TV show Lexx

Name:   790_Lexx.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  9.9 KB
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:40 AM   #27

Kansas
I'm so glad I'm not the only dork seeing faces in that stove!

Thanks for the product tips Raya, though I think I need to just move on. All the raised surfaces scraped off, and I've cleaned away any sort of tacky feeling on the residue, it's just ugly discoloration that's left. I'd definitely give the 3M stuff a try if I were trying to restore the ensolite without painting. It amazes me how clean the walls got with the Tilex scrubbing, but I still can't handle the dingy off-white color that's left behind.

-- Jess
Old 09-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #28

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Dork?
Try these for the adhesive:
Goo Gone Cleaners |
Goof Off - Removes the Tough Stuff
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #29

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
They actually did have "Goo Gone" on their list of failed cleaners.

One note I wanted to mention is that denatured alcohol is not quite the same as the "drug store" alcohol you have in your "fail" line-up. I believe denatured alcohol is the equivalent of "meths"/methylated spirit.

The Canola oil gave me a giggle

(And I know you are no longer interested in getting the stain off, but I'm just adding this for future desperate adhesive searchers.)

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #30

Kansas
Well it has been awhile since any work has been done to our little Boler, but we have scheduled a summer vacation in Custer State Park in July, soooo... Time to get to work. We ordered a new axle from Paul Neumeister. He has been fantastic to work with. The shipping from Canada is a little steep, but not terrible. We also ordered a door hinge fix kit (probably won't fix the door completely, but a good place to start).

I ordered some leveling jacks, which I plan to weld to the back bumper prior to repainting the frame. They seem real simple Stabilizer Jack - 1,000 lbs Domar Trailer Jack TJ01RT

I also ordered some other things, most notably a 22 foot 7 pin molded trailer harness. It was not cheap as 7 pin connectors go, but I figured it would be easier and more reliable if I cold simply run the wires straight to the light, brakes, etc... I think it should work okay.

I don't know if Jessica mentioned it, but we got a tow vehicle, a 2005 VW Touareg V8 which has a 7700 lbs towing rating. I think it will pull the Boler just fine. I made a critical error by buying one with out a trailer hitch installed, so I had to install it in the driveway. Not a big deal, but had to remove the tail lights and rear bumper to get it on. Well, as soon as some of this snow melts, we should have more updates. We are super excited to get out on the road this summer!
Old 01-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #31

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Hi Sam and Jess!

Glad to hear from you, as I feel like we are "neighbors"! Maybe we'll bump into each other sometime--there are some nice places around there to camp. Enjoyed Melvern Lake (40 mins. from Topeka) last year with Richard and Reitha Clark (also great KC campers!)

You are doing a great job---

Vickie
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:56 AM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam and Jess View Post
I ordered some leveling jacks, which I plan to weld to the back bumper prior to repainting the frame. They seem real simple Stabilizer Jack - 1,000 lbs Domar Trailer Jack TJ01RT
Scamp just bolts the stab jacks on the rear bumper. Might be something to consider as it seems these types of jacks are the ones most commonly bent out of shape and needing replacement.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #33

Kansas
Vickie: Thanks for the encouragement. We need it. Thanks for the tip on Melvern Lake. I will check it out.

Donna: I am debating on bolts or welding. I guess it depends on if I mount them on the rear bumper area or under the "body". I haven't decided yet.

Well the UPS guy is gonna be angry with us. (Not much different from his normal attitude, apparently no one told him he would be carrying boxes all day when he applied for his job.) Oh well. We just ordered a ton of stuff, from air conditioners to fabric for seats, vents, electrical parts, axle, tires.... the list goes on and on. Now we just need some nice weather to get to work.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #34

Kansas
So several delivery persons have made some drops at our house. Here are some of the things I am excited about.

I found this little gem on line. It is a cd/dvd/ipod/amfm reciever with multiple speaker outs (so the kids can watch movies inside while mommy and papa enjoy some music out side). I think the only thing it won't do is serve as an antenna for television. Pretty pumped about this one until I turned it over....

Sheesh. Fortunately, most everything is labeled for what it does. When you tackle it one wire at a time, it looks pretty manageable.

We went with the Norcold two way fridge. Jess wavered for about a week, so I finally pulled the trigger when she was at work one day.

POR 15 for all the under body frame work.

Here is the tongue storage box. You can see why I picked up the POR15 in this picture. The box is big enough to hold the battery and a propane tank (if we ever decide to install gas). The box is aluminum and only weighs about 25lbs.

More to come later....
Old 02-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #35

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
LOVE seeing what you're up to!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #36

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Black diamond plate

I've seen that black diamond plate around in a couple of places. I like it. I was wondering what I could use it for !!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #37

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
item with the labeled plugs? Really like the front box, looks like you went all out. Should have a real gem when done
Old 02-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #38

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
item with the labeled plugs? Really like the front box, looks like you went all out. Should have a real gem when done
The item with all the plugs is simply the back of the DVD player. All we have right now is a vision, I am hopeful we can execute.

--Sam

<--- Jess is going to hate that.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #39

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveAlive View Post
I've seen that black diamond plate around in a couple of places. I like it. I was wondering what I could use it for !!
Diamond plate is available in just about any color. Cool!!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #40

Kansas
More plans...

Here are some more of our future plans, still in boxes.

Max Fan, with remote!

Battery powered reading lights.

Believe it or not, these are two California king 4 inch thick memory foam mattress toppers. These will be the replacement material for our cushions. (Any thing left over will be made into dog beds for our mutts.)

Flor tiles, basically carpet squares. Ask Jess about her design, she is the artist.

Television and articulating wall mount. The TV was a little larger than what I wanted, but it was on sale and it only weighs about 10lbs. I am planning on mounting it at the top of the full length cabinet. The TV is the exact width of the cabinet and with the articulating mount, we can angle it towards the kids, us or we can leave it flat so we can all enjoy it. (Mind you our intentions are not to go camping so we can watch television, but on longer trips it will be a nice feature.)

These are our speakers. The ones on the top are the indoor speakers. The Sony's on the bottom are waterproof so I will be mounting them somewhere on the outside of the trailer so we can listen to music (quietly) while enjoying the outdoors and cooking and what not. (I am a little nervous about these holding up against the elements, but they are made to go on boats, so... we will see.)

Annnnd her is our fabric for the cushions. Jess ordered this bolt, has about 13 yards. I think she got it for $10. She is pretty proud of that. I am interested to see how they turn out. From a distance it looks purple. Our daughter will love it.

That is all for now. We are still waiting on warmer weather. I got a note from Paul Neumeister the other day and he said our axle is still being built. I had our new tires mounted on our wheels yesterday. They are much bigger than I was expecting. I am not sure if they will fit, and won't be able to find out until I get the new axle mounted. *fingers crossed*

--Sam

Tags
boler