86 scamp wash and wax help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2015, 07:10 PM   #1

Name: ruth
Trailer: 1986 13' scamp
Pennsylvania
86 scamp wash and wax help

Time to give my 86 scamp a good wash and wax. I used krud kutter before but I just wanted to see if anyone has any new suggestions for an easy wash. This will be my first wax, so any help there would be great. Has anyone tried the floor wax recently?? thanks again fellow fiberglasser's
kayleigh0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 16' Scamp
California
Wash & Wax

Can't say I have much to contribute, but am responding because I am interested in using the floor wax too and want to be notified as answers start rolling in. For the initial wash I like to use a coin operated car wash, it is so much easier than messing with it at home. My local carwash even has a setting were I can turn the water off to stop the timer in between the various wash settings, saves money. For $10 bucks you could easily do a great job on your 13 footer. Then the real work of getting it really clean with Bar Keepers friend would commence.
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:15 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleigh0302 View Post
Time to give my 86 scamp a good wash and wax. I used krud kutter before but I just wanted to see if anyone has any new suggestions for an easy wash. This will be my first wax, so any help there would be great. Has anyone tried the floor wax recently?? thanks again fellow fiberglasser's
Go to the thread Check this out NOT Poliglow- Time will tell and go to the last page for the most recent updates on the use of the floor wax - time has indeed told the story and its not a good one for some!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:39 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Ours looked like new with the floor wax, for the 3 years we owned it. We did however store it in the garage, and would yearly give it a regular car waxing. Prior to using the floor wax, car waxing would only last a couple of months before the surface would become chalky again.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #5

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleigh0302 View Post
Time to give my 86 scamp a good wash and wax.
Hi, Kayleigh!

I have a 17-foot 1988 Bigfoot that was in bad need of de-oxidizing & waxing. I've had mediocre success in the past with several different products that were supposed to perform miracles right before my very eyes, but all of them were marginal at best.

About a month ago, I bought a product & hired a young man to do the job for me. He used a buffer & did a beautiful job, plus the product did what it said it would. My BF looks almost new again (I didn't expect miracles with a 1988 trailer). This product is advertised for use with boats, but it sure worked on my BF. For what it's worth, here's the link:

One-Step Compound | Meguiar's

Good luck!

P.S. The 1-quart bottle was enough for 2 applications & I even have some left over for touchups.
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Alabama
Just washed my baby Sunday. We use TSP substitute and a blue scrubbing pad as typically used for dishes. It's on year 1.5 of a Zep floor wax that's still shining strong despite living outdoors (and under a tree) in Alabama year-round.
davebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Just washed our Casita with the liquid version of Bar Keepers Friend using a scrubby sponge. It also worked good on cleaning up our Uhaul camper. I'll stay out of the wax discussion.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp