A Narrow Escape? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2003, 02:12 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
A Narrow Escape?

I just posted this over on the Casita forum, but thought I'd post it here as well.

Last night I suddenly came awake wondering if I had remembered to do something. (Ever do that?) When I winterized my brandnew 2003 17SD, had I remembered to drain and run a/f through the outside shower? I couldn't for the life of me remember doing it, and think it just fell thru the cracks. Out of sight, out of mind! (It was also my very FIRST winterizing. *whine**cringe*)

We've been having REALLY cold weather for the past week and more, under 20F last night, and lots more on the way. So if there was damage done it would be too late. Still, I had to know, so out into the cold this AM.

Yes, I had apparently forgotten it! Couldn't get a drop of a/f out of the faucets at all. So I put my little cube heater into the wheel well and turned on the furnace to warm up the whole rig. About an hour later I went back and all seemed to be thawed out. Ran pink stuff thru both hot and cold lines and thru the shower head. Everything seems OK and no sign of a ruptured line. I guess I may have lucked out.

The moral of this tale: Make a good, comprehensive checklist for winterizing, laminate it, and put in the on-board file for permanent reference with the other checklists.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 02:22 PM   #2

Narrow escape

Robert

When I do something like that I chalk it up as a senior moment.;) ;) ;)

Old 01-16-2003, 04:32 PM   #3

wake up call

>suddenly came awake wondering if I had remembered to do something< Oh do I remember the feeling. my stomach would feel like the bottomless pit. If I couldn't talk myself out of it, the feeling would double, for then I knew I was in trouble. yep, been there.
Had to tear out a shower stall/tub on one of those.
Got a new water heater out of another one . guess I didn't learn anything the first time.
But lately they have been false alarms.
But then I've haven't put water in this one yet, so her day will come I'll sure.

Old 01-16-2003, 05:02 PM   #4

One more thing

Just in case you hadn't thought of it, be sure to press on the pressure valve where the fresh city water inlet is. Just for a second so the pink stuff comes out. Don't know if it matters, but I think it would keep it from freezing.

Don't you just hate it when that feeling comes in cold weather? If you're like me, you just can't let it go until you check it. In your case, lucky you did.

Tags
escape