a new roof vent cover for my old Boler? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2009, 12:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Does anyone know where I can get a new plastic roof vent cover for the Boler 13? My 1974 Boler roof vent seems to be about 10 by 10 inches, not the 14 inches in the modern ones. It still covers the roof vent, but has a couple of missing bits on the overlapping edges which let rain in during heavy downpours (not normal rain, thank goodness).

Thanks,
Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I had a similar problem. I just bought a 14x14 inch one. I cut hole bigger with Jig Saw and installed new one. Much easier.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
If you want to read a number of posts on this same topic, search for a thread I started on it about six months ago.

Upshot is that only one company makes the 9" x 9" vent to match the size of the original Hehr Boler one, and it is (unfortunately) pretty cheesy. It's made by Elixir.

So many folks, like Chester, have enlarged the hole and gone 14" x 14"

Coming from the boating world, I have to say that even the 14" x 14" ones I've seen are a tad on the "un-sturdy" side, but at least they are better than the aforementioned 9 x 9, and you do have a number of choices and also replacement parts are readily available.

If you are looking for a low, flat, metal topped one, Vintage Trailer Supply has one of the big vent companies making one for them with a flat, metal vintage-looking top (in the 14 x 14 size).

One the less heavy marine hatches would be very sturdy, but probably overkill and more expensive as well.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #4

Actually, if your current vent cover has a couple of "missing bits," it probably isn't the (usual) original Hehr vent. I say this because those are metal and are probably unlikely to have chips missing. Maybe you already have the Elixir vent, or some completely different one(?)

R.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's one nearly at the very bottom of the page here, maybe it will work for you?
RV and Van Surplus - Vents
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #6

Hi Donna,

That looks like it's the Elixir we talked about in the former thread I mentioned. It's a rather flimsy vent (someone here - I think Peter - has gone through a series of them). I have one on my Boler, and although it's hanging in there, it's nothing I would purchase on purpose.

Raya
Old 08-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft 1968 Boler
Send a message via AIM to Joe Diaz Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Diaz
Quote:
Hi Donna,

That looks like it's the Elixir we talked about in the former thread I mentioned. It's a rather flimsy vent (someone here - I think Peter - has gone through a series of them). I have one on my Boler, and although it's hanging in there, it's nothing I would purchase on purpose.

Raya
go with what is called a "fantastic fan" 3 speeds in and 3 speeds out..........when the temp goes to about 75 at night and you open the windows in the camper and have this fan sucking the air out of the camper, you will be looking for the covers in the middle of the night believe me I have done it many times and it is great.....12 volt too!
Attached Thumbnails
3_speed_fan__Small_.jpg  
Joe Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler