AC wall mount on back of Scamp - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-11-2020, 08:29 PM   #1

Name: Annalise
Trailer: Currently shopping
Lake Worth
AC wall mount on back of Scamp

Hello! I am buying a Scamp; however, it has the wall AC unit mounted through the back of the it. I would like to remove it and place it somewhere else. Does anyone know how to do this and how to patch up the hole it leaves? Thank you!

annalisewellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:33 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
A picture is needed here. Did someone cut a whole in the fiberglass wall? Or did they mount it in the rear window?

There is a long thread on fiberglass repair methods if they cut a hole in the side of the trailer. If its the window, depending on what is left you can get a replacement window and gasket.

thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:07 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
your a/c

I have seen A/Cs mounted in the closet of Scamps but not on back. But it may work if its not a heavy unit he must have mounted it in the back window.

workable I guess

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:54 AM   #4

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
There's plenty of mods that have mounted the AC's in the rear window...BUT... if you're going to travel with it, you will need to run a support from the AC to the rear bumper or fatigue will damage the rear of the Scamp/fiberglass.

Personally, I wouldnt put on in the rear without support anyway because of the vibration from the A/C itself. Even with the smallest 5Ks, that's still alot of weight pulling down on the window/wall. Even when I use a small A/C for our bedroom at home, I will block under the rear of it to set on the window to let the weight rest on the window sill and not pull against the window panes/frame continually. That's just me....

For permanent mts, I would prefer the closet with plenty of ventilation.

For the BEST mount, I chose to buy my Scamp with a "roof mount" A/C and wouldnt trade it for anything else. They're VERY long-lasting units and take up NO room in the Scamp. I added a digital thermostat to mine so I can control the hysteresis, the temp and all with the push of buttons. Best Scamp mod I've made to date for comfort!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #5

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Window A/Cs for houses, are not made to withstand the shocks and vibrations of road travel. They might work for some time, but not for the long haul.
RV roof top A/Cs are built more ruggedly.
Putting an A/C in a closet, or under the side dinette seat, like our Parkliner, does not give it enough air circulation around the condenser (outside) coils to do a proper job of cooling.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:46 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Some have mounted a window AC unit sitting on the back bumper and coming through the wall under the table. As I recall the advantage of having one with a remote control was mentioned.

Older Scamps did have window AC units as stock AC. In bottom of closet or I think in Cabinet on some years. Nice part is the price is way cheaper than an RV unit and replacements are available everywhere.

Myself I would be nervous about a unit in a window. However there are many threads about people doing just that. Some by building supports from tongue or rear bumper. Along with some having beefed up what they replaced the window with.

There is plywood attached to the back wall of my scamp under the liner and I think this is common. For tire and table mounting hardware the plywood gives material for bolts/screws and spreads the weight out so fiberglass can handle the load without cracking. It would I assume also help that back window area support the weight of a tiny window AC unit and the smallest they commonly sell would I'm pretty sure be sufficient for a 13 ft. or even possibly a 16 ft. depending on climate and sun exposure.

RV models are way over powered for a 13 ft. scamp or even a 16 ft. Most of the AC units used in RV's are all the same size and you can see pretty large RV's with a single unit.

It can work because folks do it but it isn't a trivial modification in many cases. Not super difficult but not trivial. Also not all older scamps have the roof bracing for an AC on the roof. At some point it became standard to include it but as I mentioned through wall was common design and roof mounted was at least at one point a special order so the support and power are not there.

Heck mine didn't have a battery box since back then a house battery was an "option". It also doesn't have the framing for a roof mount AC.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:20 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 13 ft
Mounting the A/C in the rear window has some advantages over placing it in the closet or installing a roof unit. 1. It is much less expensive than a roof unit. 2. You can get the trailer through a normal garage door and low hanging tree limbs are less of a problem if you off-road. 4. Air circulation is much better than a closet installation. 5. An under-$200, 5000 BTU window unit will quickly cool a 13 ft trailer. On top of that, unless the installation was botched, a window unit can be easily removed and the glass reinstalled with only normal handyman tools and abilities.

The big problem is that the rear wall of the RV is not vertical. That makes it somewhat of a challenge to mount the AC so that it leans out and condensate drains away instead of into the trailer. Also, it can be difficult to seal around the AC so that rain will not get inside.

If you are considering buying a trailer that has a rear-mounted AC be certain that you check carefully for water damage inside the trailer. Depending upon where you will be traveling, consider a Fantastic Fan instead of, or in addition to the AC. I find that except in the southern states, I use the Fantastic Fan more than I do the AC.
jim_ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:29 PM   #8

Name: Chris & LeAnn
Trailer: trillium 4500
Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6791.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	133609
cgorden34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:21 PM   #9

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Window A/Cs for houses, are not made to withstand the shocks and vibrations of road travel. They might work for some time, but not for the long haul.
RV roof top A/Cs are built more ruggedly.
Putting an A/C in a closet, or under the side dinette seat, like our Parkliner, does not give it enough air circulation around the condenser (outside) coils to do a proper job of cooling.
I put a cheap little house window ac in the back of our boler for the 2004 camping season, it still works fine. Its been across Canada, up and down the west coast San Diego to BC interior 6 or so times plus many other trips.
Yes install has to good and no we don't pull our boler up logging roads but the ac works fine. There are some pics in this thread, posts 37 and 44.
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ler-55601.html

FRED SMAILES is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp