Acrylic window pane question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2021, 09:19 PM   #1

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Acrylic window pane question

I am rebuilding the rear window on my boler. I had to improvise to find a glazing strip for the fixed "glass" and a new sliding window track. Both "glass" panels are acrylic but due to differences the new gaskets are slightly (less than 1/4 inch) larger than can fit. I was thinking of sanding them down to fit. Does anyone know if sanding acrylic will cause any problems? I was going to use my random orbital finish sander and use 60 grit then 200 grit paper.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:31 AM   #2

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Are you talking about sanding the edge down, or the face?

For the edge, I'd say no problem but you might be better off with something linear so that you can sand along the edge instead of back and forth across it.

If you mean sanding the face down, that's also structurally fine but it might be pretty challenging to get a good clear polish back on it at the end.

No big caveats for acrylic like there would be for, say, tempered glass. It's just a plain hunk of plastic. Maybe keep the speed down since you don't want heat buildup.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:04 AM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Be careful using power equipment. Disk speed and sanding friction can rapidly melt the plastic and cause “melted gobs” along the edges which can require patience and scraping to remove. If you only need to remove a little material, hand sanding with a block would be preferable, IMO, based on my somewhat limited experience in shaping plastics with a sanding disk on a Shopsmith.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:53 AM   #4

New Hampshire
Thanks for the info. I will be sanding the edge. I think I may have a variable speed sander I might be able to use so I don't melt the acrylic (good call). I don't remember if it is linear.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:25 PM   #5

Name: joro
Trailer: boler
North Carolina
How did it go? We recently obtained a 1979 13 ft with a sliding window in the rear that needs replacing. Any chance you remember what you used for the slider track and window seals?
joro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:30 PM   #6

New Hampshire
I will post something after next week. I will be on a trip and probably won't have Internet access where I will be. I do have the names of the companies and the product numbers for everything I used. I will say that the seal I used for the sliding track is marginal. I have only used it a few times and I may need to tweak it or try a different track. I will post pictures showing the areas of concern. For now it works.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:50 PM   #7

Name: joro
Trailer: boler
North Carolina
thanks
joro is offline   Reply With Quote