Advantech Flooring another option? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I recently had to install some decking on a storage area in my garage and ran across this product at Lowes. Lowes stocks it in 5/8" thickness and it has a T/G edge for subflooring applications. After using and liking it I then decided to some research on the product and the stats look pretty good compared to OSB and plywood. http://www.advantechperforms.com/dare-to-c...ct-testing.aspx On my next Scamp floor repair, I might give it a try. Has anyone else used this product on a Scamp floor repair?
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
My first thought before i clicked on your link was "How much water would this absorb" and your link immedietly answered that question which looks impressive. I would really like to take a small piece of that and submerge it in water ans see if it turns to "Oatmeal" consistency.
thanks for the link.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Quote:
My first thought before i clicked on your link was "How much water would this absorb" and your link immedietly answered that question which looks impressive. I would really like to take a small piece of that and submerge it in water ans see if it turns to "Oatmeal" consistency.
thanks for the link.
Joe
I agree with Joe and would want to submerge some and see the results for myself. Unfortunately most of us have become sceptics due to having been mislead so many times on so many products but assuming it lives up to the standards and testimonials as indicated on the link it is definitely on my list to try on any of my next projects whether they be in the home or the egg. Eddie thanks for the heads up it looks to be some valuable info lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #4

I found a scrap of Advantec. I will take some measurements and put the Advantec, OSB and plywood in a bucket of water for a few days and let you know how they do.
Eddie
Old 12-17-2009, 05:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Great Eddie.....
Looking forward to your findings as this would also work in other applications where water may be present.....basements, rv trailers, kitchens etc...... keep a small piece around untouched so you can compare it to the water tested stuff for height swelling
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We recently toured a house under construction in Pinellas County, where Advantech was used for subfloors in a three story house. The GC was extremely pleased with the results of the advantech subfloor material, and prefers to use it because of moisture resistance, no squeaks, sound deadening, etc.
No personal experience on my part, but the contractor was certainly happy with it after a number of projects.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Quote:
I recently had to install some decking on a storage area in my garage and ran across this product at Lowes. Lowes stocks it in 5/8" thickness and it has a T/G edge for subflooring applications. After using and liking it I then decided to some research on the product and the stats look pretty good compared to OSB and plywood. http://www.advantechperforms.com/dare-to-c...ct-testing.aspx On my next Scamp floor repair, I might give it a try. Has anyone else used this product on a Scamp floor repair?
I will still be waiting to see the results of Eddie's " throw a pice of advantech in a bucket of water and see what happens test " but the endorsement of a contractor in Florida kinda sorta answers the " how does it stand up to water " question. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #8

Unscientific OSB/Advantech Bucket Test Results.

I submerged one piece of 7/16" OSB 6"X6" and a piece 5/8" Advantech 6"X6" in a bucket of extremely cold water for about two weeks and the results are in. The exposed edges on both samples swelled about 1/8". I then sawed the samples in half. The OSB was saturated the entire width of the sample and the center of the sample had also swelled about 1/8". The Advantech 1/8" swelling extended inward from the cut edges about 1/2" and then the Advantec swelling was minimal at about 1" from the edges. There was only a slight bit of swelling on the wood fibers on the surface in the center of the sample. From about an 1" from the exposed edges the swelling of the Advantec was only an appearance issue since the core of the material had not been penetrated.
Bottom line: Any wood fibers directly exposed to water will absorb water swell and then rot.
OSB: Longer wood fibers, less sealing resin and voids in sealing making the material almost completely porous. Plus side, it weighs less.
Advantech: Shorter wood fibers less capillary absorption, much more sealing resin making it almost non porous on sealed sides except for the very top of the surface. This material is much stronger with less flex than OSB but it is heavier. The surface of a new sheet of Advantech has a waxy feel I would definitely sand any places you wanted to fiberglass in and I would also seal any cut edges.
The above was my observations and not an endorsement for either material.

Eddie