AGM Battery ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
jck

Name: James
Trailer: Big Foot
Colorado
Red face AGM Battery ?

It is time for a new 12 volt battery and I would like feedback from those who
have elected to use the AGM Battery. Has it been worth the extra expense?
jck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
They do not need water and can be mounted inside, had them in the past and liked them.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #3

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I've used AGM batteries for the last five years in my electric dive compressor.
Group 34 they do stand up well given the number of times I recharge.
After five years I'm still using the ones I started with.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:07 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I bought a Lifeline group 24. According to the manufacturer it should last between 300-1000 charge/discharge cycles compared to 100 cycles for the typical marine deep cycle. It is sealed, can be used in any position, is UPS shippable, and has an extremely low self discharge rate. When this one dies I will buy another without hesitation despiite the very high cost ($250). Mine is over 5 years old. Raz

p.s. Welcome to the forum
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
jck

Name: James
Trailer: Big Foot
Colorado
Thanks for the timely feedback. I have decided to use an AGM. Now I need to
decide on the size and brand. I would like as much reserve capacity as I can get for the space I have with my Bigfoot 21fb.
jck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #6

British Columbia
Registry
I use Odyssey .
Old 12-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Raz

I corrected my first post. The battery is a Lifeline not a Lifeliner. That's what I get for posting before my morning coffee.

Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle AGM Batteries

I am not familiar with the Odyessy that Daniel mentioned. I think the most common brand is Optima. Found at Sears, Napa, ect. I bought one of those for my tractor but I have not had it long enough to form an opinion. Raz
Old 12-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I am not familiar with the Odyessy that Daniel mentioned. I think the most common brand is Optima.
ODYSSEY Batteries - Official Manufacturer's Site (note - not "Odyessy")
OPTIMA® Batteries
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #9

British Columbia
Registry
thanks for catching the name.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #10

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I just purchased a Optima Deep Cycle for my pick up. The Optima regular Red top lasted 8 1/2 years. The Deep Cycle was the same price so I thought I'd try it.
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #11

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I got one this past summer, keep it inside the trailer under a dinette seat, and have been satisfied with it. I forget the brand name, though - got it from one of those battery stores.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #12

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I had an Optima blue top in my Jeep for 5 yrs. and it served me well. I replaced it with another blue top that lasted about a year before I started having problems. It seems my Jeep has a slight discharge which kills the battery after sitting for several weeks. I tried reviving the battery by long charging periods, but the battery never came back to full storage capacity. Optima replaced the battery for me under warranty. I now have a main disconnect switch on the battery lead so I can park the jeep for long periods without killing the battery. I would say the AGM batteries are good if you don't allow them to discharge to a flat condition. Just my 2 cents.

Russ

I bought the blue top because it is a deep cycle design that can also dump enough current to start an engine. It also has handy top terminals to hook up winch and other accessories.
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #13

Name: Don
Trailer: 17.5 Bigfoot
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck View Post
Thanks for the timely feedback. I have decided to use an AGM. Now I need to
decide on the size and brand. I would like as much reserve capacity as I can get for the space I have with my Bigfoot 21fb.
I have the Lifeline Group 27 AGM battery in my 17' Bigfoot. Like it very much. Larger battery box just fits into the tray in the nose cone.
Don Dunsmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:50 AM   #14

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Dunsmore View Post
I have the Lifeline Group 27 AGM battery in my 17' Bigfoot. Like it very much. Larger battery box just fits into the tray in the nose cone.
I wonder if the group 27 has a large capacity difference compared to the group 24, or the group 34. No one seems to be commenting on the Ahr rating of their batteries.

Can you discharge an AGM battery further then the standard led acid batteries? Or, is 50% or less still advisable?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #15
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I wonder if the group 27 has a large capacity difference compared to the group 24, or the group 34. No one seems to be commenting on the Ahr rating of their batteries.

Can you discharge an AGM battery further then the standard led acid batteries? Or, is 50% or less still advisable?
The group 27 is rated at 100 AHr, the group 24 at 80 AHr. Fifty percent discharge is the rating although the manufacturers claim you can discharge them lower with less damage. The benefits are more charge/discharge cycles, lower percentage per month self discharge, and they are sealed so there is no off gassing or need for water replacement. I bought one because I believe they are safer. Raz
Old 12-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #16

Name: Don
Trailer: 17.5 Bigfoot
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
The group 27 is rated at 100 AHr, the group 24 at 80 AHr. Fifty percent discharge is the rating although the manufacturers claim you can discharge them lower with less damage. The benefits are more charge/discharge cycles, lower percentage per month self discharge, and they are sealed so there is no off gassing or need for water replacement. I bought one because I believe they are safer. Raz
+1 on what Raz said. Plus like I said....it fits into the next size up battery box that just fits into the Bigfoot battery tray.....at least on my '06 Bigfoot. The whole Lifeline AGM battery is a nice looking piece of equipment....if you can admire the qualities of a battery.
Don Dunsmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I suggest a spec sheet, such as the Lifeline RV battery specifications, for the facts. Nearly every battery manufacturer publishes this information.

Within the same product line, capacity and mass (weight) are essentially just proportional to the volume of the case. The BCI size group indicates only outside dimensions (and terminal locations).

Group 34 is an unusual choice in deep cycle batteries (although Optimas come in this size to match some automotive starting applications); group 31 is a more common deep cycle choice.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
If using a battery recharge system that prevents overcharging/transient discharge of an ordinary battery, the life is considerably extended. My own deep-cycle is over five years old, and still functioning just fine with this ordinary routine.

That being so, the only advantage I can see for AGM's is the fact that they're sealed and thus require neither the occasional addition of water nor venting in the event of being used inside.

Certainly for marine applications there's the added benefit of not leaking if tipped over, but that hardly seems likely on shore.

In my opinion the very large price difference isn't worth these very small advantages, perhaps unless one has to put the battery inside an unvented space.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #19
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
If using a battery recharge system that prevents overcharging/transient discharge of an ordinary battery, the life is considerably extended. My own deep-cycle is over five years old, and still functioning just fine with this ordinary routine.

That being so, the only advantage I can see for AGM's is the fact that they're sealed and thus require neither the occasional addition of water nor venting in the event of being used inside.

Certainly for marine applications there's the added benefit of not leaking if tipped over, but that hardly seems likely on shore.

In my opinion the very large price difference isn't worth these very small advantages, perhaps unless one has to put the battery inside an unvented space.

Francesca
The lack of off gassing means they are less likely to explode. That's why I bought one. Raz
Old 12-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have dealt with many hundreds of flooded lead-acid batteries, and have never seen, or heard of, one exploding.

Has anyone ever had this happen?

I have had very good luck with my flooded batteries over the years, with once a year maintenance. Keeping the charge up is the key to longevity I have found. I have never tried an AGM one yet though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery