All is good! - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2021, 01:06 PM   #1

Name: J.D.
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 Layout 6
West Virginia
All is good!

I don't post often. I do want to say a big Thank You for all the info here.

Getting Ready! Just DE-Winterized my Scamp 16 and everything went well. Flushed out the pink RV antifreeze; NO leaks in the plumbing over the Winter. No mice! Battery good - trickle charged it a few times. No window leaks. Black & gray tanks OK. All is GOOD! Actually GREAT!

Still need to install the keg and beer tap. Then hit the road!
J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:32 PM   #2

Name: Diane
Trailer: Scamp 13í
Wisconsin
Where ya goiní, J.D?
sunnyone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:54 PM   #3

West Virginia
The Plan

Slowly... Slowly meander from here in WV down towards Tennessee. Boon docking thru State and National Forests and other places along the way. I've found that stopping at rural bars and asking the locals for a place to camp elicits some great spots! Their fav fishing spot and fav hunting spots that are way off grid. Sometimes! "Come stay on my 100 acres and we'll have another beer." Which usually means I can run an extension cord over to their barn. People are friendly everywhere.

Thru Tennessee and visit a friend in Huntsville, Al. Then...? If the Canadian border opens up, I would like to visit a niece in Alaska.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:44 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
Battery good - trickle charged it a few times.
Make sure about that battery. Run the heat on the battery for a while check the voltage and see how it stands up. A sulfated battery can fool you and die when you really need it.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:38 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
Great to hear all is well this spring JD

We are also getting everything ready to travel, and hoping to get to do much more this year than last.

Hope you have a great summer, wherever the "path less traveled" leads
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:21 AM   #6

West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Make sure about that battery. Run the heat on the battery for a while check the voltage and see how it stands up. A sulfated battery can fool you and die when you really need it.

I am somewhat aware of a sulfated battery; but, "run the heat on the battery" confuses me...? Enlighten me, please.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:23 AM   #7

West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
Great to hear all is well this spring JD

We are also getting everything ready to travel, and hoping to get to do much more this year than last.

Hope you have a great summer, wherever the "path less traveled" leads

Thanks TZ...!!! Where are you folks headed this year? Be nice to cross paths somewhere.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:41 AM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
I am somewhat aware of a sulfated battery; but, "run the heat on the battery" confuses me...? Enlighten me, please.
He means to put a load on the battery that is high enough and long enough to let you know if the battery really has enough stored energy for your needs, or if it might show good voltage readings at first (or with no load) but then runs out of juice too fast. Running a roof fan on high for a minimum of 3-5 hours is another option. That should use about ten amp-hours. Or you could take the battery to an auto parts store that does load testing on batteries.

And don't forget that using a hydrometer to check the specific gravity of each cell (assuming an unsealed battery) is one of the best diagnostic methods when dealing with questionable lead-acid batteries.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:02 AM   #9

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
You could also pull up to any auto parts store and get your battery tested for free. I've done that on occasion.
Meanwhile on Wednesday I'm headed down to Elkmont NFS CG in TN for a few days, then on to Bolding Mill COE CG in GA. My Geezer Pass makes for very inexpensive stays.

Walt
Old 04-09-2021, 04:55 PM   #10

West Virginia
[QUOTE=gordon2;810579]He means to put a load on the battery that is high enough and long enough to let you know if the battery really has enough stored energy for your needs, or if it might show good voltage readings at first (or with no load) but then runs out of juice too fast. Running a roof fan on high for a minimum of 3-5 hours is another option. That should use about ten amp-hours. Or you could take the battery to an auto parts store that does load testing on batteries.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ah! Hah! "Running heat on the battery" = A load test!

Wish I had read all this before putting a big 2500 watt heat gun on that battery! Melted the case a bit...<g>... NO - Just joking!

My Scamp has no battery monitoring gadgetry. Nor for fresh tank, gray tank, black tank. I use my VOM to check the battery. AND! The new Jackery I have gives me some good info too!

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-09-2021, 05:26 PM   #11

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
He means to put a load on the battery that is high enough and long enough to let you know if the battery really has enough stored energy for your needs, or if it might show good voltage readings at first (or with no load) but then runs out of juice too fast. Running a roof fan on high for a minimum of 3-5 hours is another option. That should use about ten amp-hours. Or you could take the battery to an auto parts store that does load testing on batteries.

And don't forget that using a hydrometer to check the specific gravity of each cell (assuming an unsealed battery) is one of the best diagnostic methods when dealing with questionable lead-acid batteries.
Running the heater on propane for a couple of hours should show a lot. The heater motors seem to run down a battery fast. Our RV with 2 batteries will run down in about 8 hours.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:20 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
Quote:
Thanks TZ...!!! Where are you folks headed this year? Be nice to cross paths somewhere.
Mackinaw city this coming week, French Farm lake, https://drivinvibin.com/2016/06/17/b...city-michigan/
small hammock group

Back to Mackinaw in May for a fiberglass truck camper gathering

Mid summer heading to somewhere west, Utah or Idaho area

September to Algonac state park for a fiberglass trailer gathering
https://drivinvibin.com/2016/06/17/b...city-michigan/

And every chance we get heading out somewhere
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:31 AM   #13

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I wouldn't worry about the battery. Batteries can be purchased almost any where.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #14

West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
Back to Mackinaw in May for a fiberglass truck camper gathering

Mid summer heading to somewhere west, Utah or Idaho area

September to Algonac state park for a fiberglass trailer gathering
https://drivinvibin.com/2016/06/17/b...city-michigan/

And every chance we get heading out somewhere

Nice agenda! I should be able to go to Algonac in Sept. Hope to see you there.

J.D.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:59 AM   #15

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
JD,

Great plan. Enjoy the road.

Did you squirt some grease into the wheel hubs?
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote