An APP to help organize your travels - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Thumbs up An APP to help organize your travels

I wanted to share an APP that I use to organize for trips and research products for my trailer.

It is free and can work with stand alone computer. But is extremely powerful and useful for you folks with smart phones and other mobile devices such as an Ipod touch.

It is called SpringPad. It is a cloud based application. You can check it out at: Springpad: a free app that helps you remember

What is nice about Springpad, is that you can open it to access your files when you are not connected to the web. Many cloud Apps can only work if you're online.

This APP allows you to organize everything into distinct "NoteBooks". And so, I have a Notebook devoted to my travel trailer. Within that notebook, I store important notes, check lists, shopping lists, product information.)

One example of how I use this APP: Using info from FGRV, I have created a Departure Check-list which I've saved on my I-pod touch. I have put in chronological order all the things I need to do (like making sure my wheel chocks have been removed and stowed, and the electric jack's foot is raised). As I go through each item it is checked off. Before I get into the car, I can see that all the items have been checked off.

These checks can be removed so that I have a new check list for each departure. If I want to edit this list to add new items or change the order of any item, I can do so on my mobile device. I do not have to log onto the internet. When I do log onto the internet, my edits will be synced with my computer and stored in the Clouds.

I've created shopping lists for the travel trailer. As well as pantry item lists, equipment lists, and maintenance needs. This really helps when I am outfitting the trailer for an upcoming trip. I simply use - say my galley check list - to see if I need to replenish anything. It is fast, easy and helps me avoid any surprises at my destination (What, no coffee!! )

When I bring the trailer in for servicing, I have a check list of problems/concerns that have come up while on the road. And I am able to store info and dates re work that has been done for the trailer.

I keep info regarding my Good Sam's membership Road size assistance ID number on this APP.

If I'm using the internet to research items for the trailer (eg an electric jack), I can save bookmarks, pictures, and self-generated notes about specific products. Springpad automatically conducts a price watch, and notifies me if there is a price reduction on any item I have saved.

It is also great for Menu Planning!

And one more thing: they have a terrific one-on-one support team!

Hope some of you find this APP to be helpful!
Old 05-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'd be *extremely* interested in seeing your lists in regards to the boler....would you be willing to share.
MelFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #3

Hey Mel

Of course I'd be willing to share. But I will need to see if I can copy my saved info and paste it onto this site.

Regarding Springpad - I have absolutely no financial relationship with them. I just started using their App earlier in the year.

Springpad functions as a social network: If you or anyone else with FGRV was on Springpad, I could "share" specific information and products that I have stored on the APP. Just one of those things that makes life easy.

So, I also hope that you take the time to check out this APP as it will help you with your specific organizational needs.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I see it is free but I also see "Springpad also automatically uses the power of the internet to add useful information and relevant offers" to your information and then this "
we also put your information to work for you even when you're not around. We're always on the lookout to save you time and money with essential updates customized for your interests and available when you need them. We'll alert you to price drops, product availability, deals of the day, news"

I am now wondering how many pop ups and spam etc do you get when you use this app?

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #5

[/LIST]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelFrank View Post
I'd be *extremely* interested in seeing your lists in regards to the boler....would you be willing to share.
Lists of bedding, food, camping and grilling items really apply to whatever you have in your trailer. These are things you should be able to put together yourself simply by conducting an inventory.

The advantage of using an App like Springpad on your mobile device is that you can physically check off each item. This really helps me remember things that must be done for my safety and comfort, as well as that of the trailers.

Here is my departure list. As you can see, many items may not apply to your Boler (ie wheel cocks).

• Close windows
  • Secure/store items in Cabin
  • Secure Coffee Maker
  • TURN OFF WATER PUMP
  • Turn Off Propane
  • Switch refridgerator to electric
  • Close oven Vent
  • Turn Off Hot H2O Heater
  • Secure Generator Cover
  • Remove/Store Wheel Chocks
  • Roll Up Sizzor Jacks
  • Store (sizzer jack) Blocks
  • Mount Hitch Assist
  • Ready Tongue Hitch
  • Adjust Hitch Alligners
  • Hitch Up
  • Attach Tow Chains to TV
  • Plug in Power Cord
  • Attach Emergency Brake Cable
  • RAISE TONGUE
  • Mount Sway Bars
  • Retract Tongue Foot
  • Stow Brick
  • Stow Hitch-Up Equipment
  • Stow Outdoor Carpet
  • Inspect Cabin
  • Lock Cabin Door
  • Retract steps
  • Inspect outside
  • Check Trailer Lights
  • Check Tires: 32 Lbs cold
Old 05-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I see it is free but I also see "Springpad also automatically uses the power of the internet to add useful information and relevant offers" to your information and then this "
we also put your information to work for you even when you're not around. We're always on the lookout to save you time and money with essential updates customized for your interests and available when you need them. We'll alert you to price drops, product availability, deals of the day, news"

I am now wondering how many pop ups and spam etc do you get when you use this app?

None. They send me weekly e-mail listing my activities on Springpad, which includes "Alerts" regarding past items and products that I have added to my Notebooks. Clicking on any item on this list will connect me to the web page listing this item and its new price. For instance, I am looking for a headlamp with white and red lighting options (to keep bugs out of my face at night). One of the headlamps that I was looking is now being listed on Amazon.com for at a significantly reduced price. This is something that I would not know about unless I logged onto Amazon.com to specifically research all of the past products I was interested in purchasing. I was really impressed with this feature.

This e-mail also includes recent Springpad news items which links me to blogs that describe new features offered on the APP, as well as "Springpad 101" blogs which describe "how to" use various features of the APP. So I really like viewing this weekly e-mail.

Now, I am a fairly private person, who does not like spam whatsoever. But I feel very comfortable using this APP. They have a well defined privacy policy with which I am also comfortable.

I have never received any Spam from sites that I have saved to the APP. I have not experienced any dramatic increase in Spam mail since I begun using Springpad.

To tell you the truth, I find Google much more creepier, as products that I have googled seem to "follow" me around the web.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
None. They send me weekly e-mail listing my activities on Springpad, which includes "Alerts" regarding past items and products that I have added to my Notebooks. Clicking on any item on this list will connect me to the web page listing this item and its new price. For instance, I am looking for a headlamp with white and red lighting options (to keep bugs out of my face at night). One of the headlamps that I was looking is now being listed on Amazon.com for at a significantly reduced price. This is something that I would not know about unless I logged onto Amazon.com to specifically research all of the past products I was interested in purchasing. I was really impressed with this feature.

This e-mail also includes recent Springpad news items which links me to blogs that describe new features offered on the APP, as well as "Springpad 101" blogs which describe "how to" use various features of the APP. So I really like viewing this weekly e-mail.

Now, I am a fairly private person, who does not like spam whatsoever. But I feel very comfortable using this APP. They have a well defined privacy policy with which I am also comfortable.

I have never received any Spam from sites that I have saved to the APP. I have not experienced any dramatic increase in Spam mail since I begun using Springpad.

To tell you the truth, I find Google much more creepier, as products that I have googled seem to "follow" me around the web.
THANKS Jane! its always good to hear first hand from someone using it as to what really happens! Doesnt sound bad - it was just their wording that had me thinking that not only would Google be following me but so would this app. Oh did I mention that Apple also seems to like to follow me every where! :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #8

I'm thinking of it for my work as well....thanks! I'm most likely going to sign up.
MelFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelFrank View Post
I'm thinking of it for my work as well....thanks! I'm most likely going to sign up.
I use it for work as well. You'll find that there is a learning curve. But the Springpad 101 blogs are very helpful. You can also e-mail their staff. I found the support to be just first rate.

The more I use Springpad the more new ways I think of to use it.

The great thing about this APP is that whenever you add a new item to a "notebook" it prompts you to add any info you may find useful such as pictures, maps, tags (for future organization), notes, web sites and so on. When adding an item to one of my notebooks, it takes less than a minute to add descriptive tags, pictures and personal notes. Very user friendly.

For instance, I'd like to start a Notebook for "Trip Planning". Let's say you stumble across (or read a post about) a terrific, out of the way campsite that you wish you had known about before you checked into your present digs. Well, you can take a picture of the site, use your mobile device to add the info to your Springpad account regarding the site's name, location, a specific camping space (with a great view, isolated, etc), contact person and phone number/e-mail address/website. If you take the time to tag this info (ie "Utah campsites", "Zion Park"), you now have info you can retrieve when planning a future trip to Utah.

Let's say you are thinking of traveling to Utah within the next year or two. You know that it will take several days to reach that destination so you want to develop a list of overnight layovers en route. Once again, you can accumulate on Springpad, bookmarks for Trailer Parks, campsites and places of interest along the way to your final destination as you read about on them the web. Save all this info in your Springpad "Travel Planning" notebook. You can categorize this info by adding labeling tags for such things as location (Utah campsites), price categories ($15-$25/night; $25-$40/night; etc); desirable features (lakeside camping). 2 years "down the road" , you'll have the various elements of your trip all ready to go.

I think that this APP is wonderfully suited for travel and camping.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:25 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Hi Jane P.

I found your post very interesting and have just set up an account. I'm particularly interested in the part about being able to access your notes while not connected to the web. Do you know if there is a replication process to local files or do you need to perform a manual backup of your data?

Ken
Old 05-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhanso View Post
Hi Jane P.

I found your post very interesting and have just set up an account. I'm particularly interested in the part about being able to access your notes while not connected to the web. Do you know if there is a replication process to local files or do you need to perform a manual backup of your data?

Ken
I hope you like the APP as much as I do. You'll see that there is a bit of a learning curve, but the more you use it the easier it will be for you to use.

They have an online tutorial and that is a great way to begin. They'll ask you to do things like import a photo, "Look UP" a movie you want to see, etc. These are great exercises.

To answer your specific questions, ere are some links to some of their blogs.

Access Springpad on your mobile device « Springpad Blog

Access Springpad When You’re Offline « Springpad Blog

Download a Backup of your Springpad Data « Springpad Blog

Get the Springpad Clipper « Springpad Blog

Have fun,

Jane
Old 05-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #12

Registry
Thanks Jane. I'll get to studying. I've already started a Scamp notebook for myself and copied a bunch of my google doc things into Springpad to see how it feels.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks Jane. I'll get to studying. I've already started a Scamp notebook for myself and copied a bunch of my google doc things into Springpad to see how it feels.
I'll be curious to "hear" how you like Springpad.

Also, when you review the blogs, also look at the comments sections. You'll see that Springpad staff participate in the forum. If you have a problem, you can post your concerns and someone will respond. If you still have a problem, you can communicate with that staffer via email. This "hands on" support was a great aid to me as I begun to explore the APP.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I'll be curious to "hear" how you like Springpad.
I'm really liking it. I'm big into making lists and keeping notes. This app is very easy to use and has many nice features. I have the offline local copy set up and replicating. I currently have a laptop with wifi and now I can take my stuff with me. I can see how easy this would transition over to a smart phone or other device.

This is a lot like Lotus Notes where you had databases rather than notebooks that replicated between servers and local devices. I was a Notes admin in a previous life. Maybe that's why I like Springpad so much.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #15

Quote:
I'm really liking it. I'm big into making lists and keeping notes. This app is very easy to use and has many nice features. I have the offline local copy set up and replicating. I currently have a laptop with wifi and now I can take my stuff with me. I can see how easy this would transition over to a smart phone or other device.

This is a lot like Lotus Notes where you had databases rather than notebooks that replicated between servers and local devices. I was a Notes admin in a previous life. Maybe that's why I like Springpad so much.
Thanks for the feedback. Springpad is usually compared to "Evernote" which is a note/list keeping mobile APP. A reviewer compared the two APPs this way:

Evernote is for geeks, and Springpad is for busy soccer moms. One is very technical, the other very practical when adopted into everyday life.

I think that organizing for traveling and working on the trailer is basically a list and note taking endeavor. Plus, you're always researching some hardware or software product to purchase for your trailer.

What is nice is the ability to download recipes, products and upcoming events (such as plays, music festivals, wine tasting, etc). to your online "notebooks". It is so nice to camp near a small town and be able to "recall" events to attend.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #16

Just got my weekly e-mail update from SpringPad. It included a blog on how to plan a trip using Springpad. Everything can be organized in one place which makes things super easy for the trip planner.

If you scroll down to the comments section, you can see how the staff answers concerns, such as how to include maps.

Use Springpad for Travel Planning « Springpad Blog
Old 05-24-2011, 01:37 AM   #17

Registry
Jane and friends,
I have been using SpringPad for months....hands-down the best app ever!
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
What is in it for them? They can't run without a profit, where does it come from?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #19

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
What is in it for them? They can't run without a profit, where does it come from?
I believe that they get online merchants to support them.