and how big is yours - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2006, 10:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 13 ft Scamp

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
HI, I currently have a teardrop and want to get a bigger trailer, I started off wanting an Airstream but you know they are all very similar, the Scamp and Trilliums seem to be what I need, the problem lies within my garage, I have only 6'4 to play with and every thing seems to be about 7 foot. Just curious if anyone knew of one that would fit this stipulation and if so then I'll get to looking for that one!

thanks all!

PS I'm new so if this is posted incorrectly please let me know

Valerie

i was at the Mt Baker rally and saw some great trailers you may remember me???
Valerie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Valerie,
The shortest fiberglass trailer that I know of is the Miti Lite. The Trails West Campster, Compact Jr., and Compact II would be the next shortest due to their lowered roofs. My Compact Jr. is 80" high and will fit inside my garage. I do have to use a stick to hold the garage door all the way up. It usually sags down about 6" in its resting position while raised. Some folks have resorted to removing the road tires and mounting steel rims to get a Casita, Scamp, etc. into the garage. Of course, a pop-up or A-Liner will fit. Hope this helps.
Tom Trostel
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=73125484
Old 09-11-2006, 06:42 AM   #3

Tom thanks, UM DUH, i never thunk to raise the stupid "saggy" portion of the durn door. HAHAHAHA sometimes i need my sign written really BIG for all to see.

I went and measured and i have 6'11 to play with which is i think a saw 83inches. Im really looking to get a trillium and would love to beable to get it in my garage.

Thanks soooooooooo much for everything, NOw i need to make durn sure it will fit then sell one and get another

V
Old 09-11-2006, 08:31 AM   #4

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
At 6'11", the modern Scamp/Casitas won't fit without taking extraordinary measures (in which I count things like swapping wheels and such).

Our Garage door is about the same as yours and our '72 Boler American fit through the door. I get the impression that would generally be true of the older eggs. (They sat REAL low)

I don't quite know when they raised up making them incompatable with shorter garages.

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #5

when you say, modern, do you mean that the older ones would fit then???

Quote:
At 6'11", the modern Scamp/Casitas won't fit without taking extraordinary measures (in which I count things like swapping wheels and such).

Our Garage door is about the same as yours and our '72 Boler American fit through the door. I get the impression that would generally be true of the older eggs. (They sat REAL low)

I don't quite know when they raised up making them incompatable with shorter garages.

mkw
Old 09-11-2006, 12:35 PM   #6
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
This topic has come up before.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=20712

I will add my 2 bits worth.
The place we moved from 4 months ago, we had a shop 24'x32' with a standard 9'x7' roll-up door. When I moved our Boler into it for the winter I would hold the door back up above the opening with some Vise Grips on the tracks. I would then let most of the air out of the tires to about 1" from the rim, remove the plastic vent cap and then roll the trailer into the shop with about 2" to spare and then refill the tires.

The house we moved to is supposed to be the same size door, not so I find out. I used the same procedure and it was still 3" to high. I bought a set of 10"-5 bolts rims recently and I will be removing the 13"wheels and vent cap and try it again.

I will post the results after I try it.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
when you say, modern, do you mean that the older ones would fit then???
Maybe it has more to do with an old, dead or nearly dead axle...and consequently the trailer sits lower over the wheels. If that's the case, I'd rather my trailer sit outside with a new axle, than inside with a dead axle. Other's may feel otherwise.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 04:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I believe that the trailers may have actually become taller, due to deliberate design decisions regarding equipment, such as axle angles and tire sizes. While the classic 1970's egg was clearly intended to be as low as possible, the tendency for people to tow with vans and trucks seems to have them less concerned about height.

An example is tires: a typical 1970's tire spec for a 13' Boler is a 6.00-13, and it's hard to find a tire that small now (an ST175/80R13 fits the same wheel, but is both wider and taller).

Conventional travel trailers are getting (in my opinion) ridiculously tall, partially so that the floor level is entirely above the tops of the tires, accomodating the now-popular slide-out feature. While eggs don't have slideouts, they no longer need to be exceptionally low to be appealing to customers, since they're all low by comparison with the "stickies".

I think a nice solution would be height-adjustable suspension (liekly using air springs), but I'm not seriously suggesting such a major customization for anyone, particularly a first-time travel trailer owner!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:25 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
and how big is yours

Oh! Trailer!

If you can't shrink the trailer, can you enlarge the door?
My [b]Fiber Stream is 8-1/2 feet tall.
My Shop Roll-up Door is 9 feet tall.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:24 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Mine lives outside.

I camp in it outside.. why not?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Mine lives outside too. But I did just order a metal carport that it will sit under while at home. Doing some of the things I read about to put it inside would be a real pain since I camp year around.

I can understand wanting it inside if I only used it once or twice a year, instead of once or twice a month.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:11 AM   #12

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
We have ours inside too, but then we only average about a hundred days a year camping in it.

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:08 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Perhaps there's not room on the property to park it outside, or perhaps it has something to do with neighborhood CCRs and "stuff" needs to be inside. My trailer is also outside, but like Byron, I had a metal carport built several years ago. I know without a fact, it's stays alot cleaner when parked over the winter. Prior to the carport, in the spring the trailer was multi-colored from moss, mildew and airborne dirt. It took hours to scrub it clean. Now it just gets dusty and a quick hosing down takes care of the grime. I couldn't put a car cover type cover over the trailer...too much wind in my area November-March. The gel coat would have been buffed through.

Ooops, sorta got off-topic
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:38 PM   #14

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Quote:
Maybe it has more to do with an old, dead or nearly dead axle...and consequently the trailer sits lower over the wheels. If that's the case, I'd rather my trailer sit outside with a new axle, than inside with a dead axle. Other's may feel otherwise.

While that may play a roll, the specifications listings on the old Boler flyers lists their height as 6'10", which is much shorter than the current 13' eggs.

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:38 PM   #15
Con

Well folks it worked. I got the Boler in the garage today.
Our door way is only 83" so with the standard 13"wheel & tires and the roof hatch closed there was no way it would fit in.
It took about 20 mins to swap the wheels over to the rims. They are 10"x6"- 5 stud with a 4 1/4" bolt circle dia. They were a perfect fit.
With the caster on the jack it was really easy to move it around.
I did take the roof hatch off just to be sure but as it turned out I didn't need to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boler_105.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	4892
Old 09-16-2006, 08:40 PM   #16
Con

Now I can tinker on it in the winter. This will be a good time to pull the hubs and repack the bearings.

Name:	Boler_108.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	4893
Old 09-17-2006, 04:41 AM   #17

Trailer:
Quote:
I think a nice solution would be height-adjustable suspension (likely using air springs)
It could also be achieved by using a Flexiride axle - it's still an ordinary rubber torsion axle, but the separate trailing arms are clamped onto splined ends on the torsion bars, so they can be rotated to vary the ride height.

Name:	flexiride_angles.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	4894

Flexiride axles seem to be economically priced for retail purchases, so you might think the trailer manufacturers would offer them as standard, but maybe their OEM pricing isn't so good and maybe most customers would never use a facility that might add $50 to the cost of the trailer.

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:56 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Perhaps there's not room on the property to park it outside, or perhaps it has something to do with neighborhood CCRs and "stuff" needs to be inside. My trailer is also outside, but like Byron, I had a metal carport built several years ago. I know without a fact, it's stays alot cleaner when parked over the winter. Prior to the carport, in the spring the trailer was multi-colored from moss, mildew and airborne dirt. It took hours to scrub it clean. Now it just gets dusty and a quick hosing down takes care of the grime. I couldn't put a car cover type cover over the trailer...too much wind in my area November-March. The gel coat would have been buffed through.

Ooops, sorta got off-topic
Hi: Personally I never let mine inside befour its feet are dry and it has had a complete shake down ... If I picked up every Do Nut sized spare I see laying along side the road I would have quite a collection... I wonder if changing to those Do Nut's might give more clearance for a garage door opening ??? Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:58 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
It could also be achieved by using a Flexiride axle - it's still an ordinary rubber torsion axle, but the separate trailing arms are clamped onto splined ends on the torsion bars, so they can be rotated to vary the ride height...
The Flexiride design looks great to me, but my understanding is that to change the angular position means loosening the clamp bolt, then pulling the whole suspension arm off of the cartridge's splined end, and putting it back on engaged at a different angle. This seems like a large chore to get the trailer in and out the garage, but might be okay once a year.

I notice that this has inspired Benita to start a new topic (Flexiride Axles), and I'll add some more general Flexiride comments there.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote