Anode rod replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2020, 04:05 PM   #1

Name: Biker
Trailer: 2018 Bigfoot 21' 25B21FB (PREV: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe)
North Carolina
Anode rod replacement

Bought a used trailer earlier this year, and found a well-used anode rod while draining for winter season (will try to attach picture)

Question: are all anode rods the same size, or do sizes vary? Believe the heater is a Suburban model (possibly the original). Trailer is approx 20 years old.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
ABC02ED7-BB8F-47E8-92D5-F9BAF5E3B75C.jpeg  
biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:20 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker View Post
Question: are all anode rods the same size, or do sizes vary? Believe the heater is a Suburban model (possibly the original). Trailer is approx 20 years old.

Thanks in advance!
Aluminum / Magnesium, short / long. But Amazon says you need this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-2327.../dp/B003VAYRNM
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:58 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think the rationale for choosing aluminum over magnesium is that aluminum will last longer.
IE. from the web: Aluminum anode rods are best for places with hard water. The aluminum rod will withstand harder water better than a magnesium or zinc rod.
HOWEVER, since the whole point of the anode is to sacrifice itself to protect the tank, you don't want an anode that lasts longer.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:18 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
OK, so where does the stuff from the anode rod go? Into the water?
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
OK, so where does the stuff from the anode rod go? Into the water?

Falls to the bottom of the tank, which is why you want to flush the tank before replacing the anode.
If you are concerned about consuming, keep mouth closed while showering.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 9.44.24 AM.png  
Old 10-19-2020, 10:57 AM   #6

Ah, so… no worries as we don't use the shower anyway. in the camper, that is.
At home though, the water heater (notice I did not say, "Hot Water Heater") has an anode rod too. which we tend to forget about.
That tank needs to be flushed about once a year too, eh?
Old 10-19-2020, 11:04 AM   #7

Quote:

Probably could, but nobody does it. Above my pay grade.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:08 AM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Ah, so… no worries as we don't use the shower anyway. in the camper, that is.
At home though, the water heater (notice I did not say, "Hot Water Heater") has an anode rod too. which we tend to forget about.
Flushing.. At least once a year... I actually do a partial flush of my home water heater every one or two weeks and a full drain and flush once a year. Partly the weekly flush is because the prior owner did NO maintenance for years and it got full of junk which cannot be fully flushed out.

I think you will find that there is some debate about replacing anode rods in home water heaters, but my take is that they are intended to last the life of the heater (that is to say when they go, so the tank does also ). If you are going to replace the anode, do it regularly if the manufacturer calls for it to be done at all. In my case it was not done in 18 years and was firmly stuck.. removing it was more likely to break something than to fix any problem. 18 years and still working, but with some crud in the tank (and a good water alarm under it).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:55 AM   #9

Wisconsin
Registry
Flushing water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Probably could, but nobody does it. Above my pay grade.
I do . My first used RV water heater had a LOT of sand in it. Now I flush mine out with a wand (like the one pictured) when I winterize.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
I do . My first used RV water heater had a LOT of sand in it. Now I flush mine out with a wand (like the one pictured) when I winterize.

I was referring to home water heater, not the one in the trailer. The trailer anode comes out for winterizing.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:58 AM   #11

Wisconsin
Registry
"HOT" water heater

[QUOTE=Wayne Collins;796569]Ah,r (notice I did not say, "Hot Water Heater")

THANK YOU: There is no reason to say HOT water heater, Hot water is by definition all ready hot.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #12

Wisconsin
Registry
Flushing home water heater.

[QUOTE=Glenn Baglo;796580]I was referring to home water heater, not the one in the trailer.

Yes, I flush mine every summer. I also tie a "sock" over the end of the hose to see what I get out. My home water heater is installed in a manner that makes it les work to change the heater than the anode rod. Yes I have changed the heater.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:04 PM   #13

[QUOTE=AC0GV;796581]
Quote:
Ah,r (notice I did not say, "Hot Water Heater")

THANK YOU: There is no reason to say HOT water heater, Hot water is by definition all ready hot.

More, it is inaccurate, since the incoming water is not hot. It's cold. So one should say "cold water heater".
Old 10-28-2020, 03:36 AM   #14

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I don't mean to hi jack this thread, but the Dometic water heater, Model # GC6AA-10E, in my Big Foot, does not have an anode rod. I went outside to look at it and also just now checked the exploded view drawing of the heater and, nope, no anode rod. There is a plastic plug where one would think the anode plug should be. Also if an anode plug were located in that spot, the heater would have to be taken apart to replace it.

Is this correct or am I missing something?
Old 10-28-2020, 05:15 AM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Flushing.. At least once a year... I actually do a partial flush of my home water heater every one or two weeks and a full drain and flush once a year. Partly the weekly flush is because the prior owner did NO maintenance for years and it got full of junk which cannot be fully flushed out.

I think you will find that there is some debate about replacing anode rods in home water heaters, but my take is that they are intended to last the life of the heater (that is to say when they go, so the tank does also)
I can’t say I agree with the line of thought that they are intended to last the life of the heater. I pull the anode from my (home) water heater annually to check it’s degree of degradation. Plumbing supply stores sell replacements. I have replaced it once. My water heater is 16 years and has not failed, yet a neighbor with the same water heater in a house completed two months after mine had to replace theirs at 9 years. When I pull the anode, I also drain the tank, although I do not make any effort to trap whatever gunk may come out.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:51 AM   #16

Name: Lauren
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I don't mean to hi jack this thread, but the Dometic water heater, Model # GC6AA-10E, in my Big Foot, does not have an anode rod. I went outside to look at it and also just now checked the exploded view drawing of the heater and, nope, no anode rod. There is a plastic plug where one would think the anode plug should be. Also if an anode plug were located in that spot, the heater would have to be taken apart to replace it.

While I have no idea what model our water heater is offhand, we have one without an anode rod in our 25RQ, as well. You are correct!
Lauren in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post

You probably have a heater with aluminum body. No anode needed.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:27 AM   #18

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Thanks Lauren. My houses have anodes, my Casita had an anode so I was not quite sure about the BF. So that is what that plug is, just a drain plug after all.

Thanks Wayne, I did not know that an AL tank does not need an anode.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:28 AM   #19

Name: Adam
New Hampshire
I will need to check the WH model for my Scamp, but I drained the tank yesterday and didn't see any separate spot for an anode. Is it meant to be integrated into the drain plug or a separate plug? I'm wondering if its just possible that mine was already fully dissolved?

This is a good reminder that I should drain down our HWH and flush it out. No idea about the anode situation there either, but I have a concrete lined HW heater so I'm not sure if they use an anode in it or not.
AdamNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:39 AM   #20

Anode does not dissolve completely.
Attached Thumbnails
Good anode bad anode.png