Another Converter question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2003, 05:10 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Another Converter question

My converter paperwork states that it is a 20amp. We have only had the Scamp for a couple of weeks now and when bringing it home, we used it twice to overnight. I plugged it into a 30 amp power supply at both campgrounds and it worked fine. Is it ok to use 30 amp power with a 20amp converter?
Thanks,
Adrian

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 05:37 AM   #2

Converter

Yes. Your current source (30 amp) is how much it CAN supply, not necessarily what it IS supplying. In other words, the 30 amp supply isn't forcing 30amps into your appiances and converter, it's saying that it has up to 30 amps available.

Old 04-25-2003, 05:45 AM   #3

Thanks

Thanks Steve.

So, what your'e saying is that the lower ampere my converter, the less output I can get from it, or the fewer appliances I can run at any one time? So I could actually plug into a 50 amp and be ok.

Thanks,
Adrian

Old 04-25-2003, 06:06 AM   #4

Converters

You got it. Your 20A (12V DC) converter wouldn't tax either a 30A (120V AC) or a 50A (120V AC) power source.

What can be confusing is that your converter is rated at 20 amps, but that is 20 amps of 12 volt DC current (actually, probably 14V), and the power source is rated 30 amps of 120V AC current. 1 amp of 120V AC power is scads more powerful than 1 amp of 12V DC power.

You can even plug a 45A (12V DC) converter into a 30A(120V AC) power source, run the converter at full tilt, and not stress the 30A (120V AC) source.

Old 04-25-2003, 05:15 PM   #5

converters and plug ins

This is just a note of warning to all:

I'm an electrician with a fair sized company, and we regularly get visits from our local hydro inspector, the last time he was here he had some interesting rv related info

I think everybody has seen or has one or two plug in adapters to change from 15-30-50 amp plugs.
Going downwards i.e. 50-30 amp is not a problem, but going up could be, for the following reason:

most of the adapters sold out there are not fuse or overload protected, if something goes wrong in your trailer, it could possibly start a fire because the cord would be rated at a lower current than the plug you are plugged into. usually nothing goes wrong, but if you had a heavy current draw for some reason and a long cord, it could overheat and cause a fire or other problems. The inspector told me that Ontario Hydro is in the process of trying to have these adapters banned in Ontario, unless they have overload protection.

Possibly the worst one I have seen personally adapts two 30 amp plugs to one 50 amp. It has two male ends and one female.
It would be possible (if one of the male plugs was not plugged in) to get a nasty shock from the exposed end.

Just something to be carefull about

Old 04-25-2003, 05:23 PM   #6

Hi Joe
GOOD safety point.Something we overlook once in a while.:)