Another interior lighting system - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2007, 09:35 PM   #41

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
Gina,

Do you have any idea of the amount DC current the inverter draws? I need to reread this thread, I'm not sure if you're saying this is an alternative to LEDs. The specs on the eBay source you referenced say 5ma but that's got to be the AC current to the bulbs.

I'd never heard of the CC bulbs until I got involved with a project to replace the CC blub in a notebook computer. (That's what provides the backlight for the screen.) Was a pain to replace but we got it working.

Brad
Brad,

See my post in an earlier thread. I measured the DC current while powering two 12" CCFTs.

CCFTs
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:29 PM   #42

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Mine are spec'd @ .75a so Morgans real measurements are almost spot on.

*Tis nuttin', honey!"
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:54 AM   #43

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Thanks Morgan and Gina. This sounds like an interesting concept. Pricing isn't that bad either. I've found two sources on eBay but haven't searched anywhere else yet. I'll order a pair and do some experimenting as soon as my Paypal account recovers from a recent spending spree.
BradBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:20 PM   #44

Trailer: ventura
gina the wires coming out of the converter are red and black. the wires coming out of the switch isyellow and red and the black wire jions the red and yellow in the connecter.. thanks dave k
david john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:43 PM   #45

Registry
David, I will be installing some this weekend for someone. I will take pictures. It's easier that way.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #46

Trailer: 2006 Escape
Hi Gina,

I have a question regarding the 194 SMT Tower LED's you used. Do they run directly off the 12 volts from the trailer battery? I assume so since it looks like they slip in to the existing incandescent light fixture. We have the slip-in type of bulbs/fixtures in our Escape and hope that these will work as replacements for us.

Also, we ordered a couple of the 24-LED dome lights. They look like they will be great above the dinner table and kitchen area.

Doug & Kathy

Quote:
Hi Doug,

I have just completed the bulk of my LED replacements in the new Burro. I used 4 domes in my 13 and was quite pleased with them, so I tried to duplicate in the new one.

I get these 24 LED domes, which look nice and are a no brainer to install. They flush mount and if you can wire your car battery and know how to tap of existing wires, you are stylin!

I get them from HERE.. They are the top one on the page, under the oliphant!

Attachment 6656
[attachment=8360:attachm
ent]

I also got 2 of THESE, first item luisted, 194 SMT towers for my overhead kitchen fixture. They are so bright that I can leave the frosted lens on and still have quite useable light!

I will be getting a couple more of the domes. I forgot I have a bathroom now.. it could get a little dark in there

I honestly do not use the incandescants anymore, even tho I have left them intact. The LEDs are soothing, and along with cold cathodes for task lighting, I have no want for brightness or power.

This place has all kinds of drop in replacements for your incandescant bulbs.
dkdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:42 PM   #47

Registry
Doug, yes, you just simply drop them in to your existing fixture and they work. No modification needed. You need to be careful about using your converter tho. I had two of them go down when I used my converter. I am assuming it was from over voltage. The domes seem to be somewhat sensitive as well. I had a couple individual LEDs start blinking when I used the converter.

The incandescany fixtures are still fully functional, so I just use them should I feel the need to use the converter. I had to recently due to a battery charger failure.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #48

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
You need to be careful about using your converter tho. I had two of them go down when I used my converter. I am assuming it was from over voltage. The domes seem to be somewhat sensitive as well. I had a couple individual LEDs start blinking when I used the converter.
I am hoping that an Escape has a modern smart charger/converter, and you'll not have the issues that some of us with older trailers have. The 30 year old converter in my Fiber Stream puts out 16 volts DC. It has damaged some of the LEDs in the clusters of the retrofit bulbs I bought. I kept the original fixtures and use incandescent bulbs when on shore power and LED bulbs when Boondocking on battery power.