Another newbie questions. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2012, 01:49 AM   #1

Name: Yohan
Trailer: In the Market
Ohio
Another newbie questions.

Hello. It's been study couple month from here and I like to say it is many "Thanks’ for everyone make all of helpful articles"

I am who speak "ingrish", so... if I make any mistake, just laugh for that please.
Me and my wife living in OH, and we love to travel and I'm thinking if I get FGRV, it's going to be perfect for us, so now I willing to step out to looking my egg! But some couple thing wants to know how you guys thinking.
I had a searching around here class fields and one of FGRV 4 sale site for many times, seems to be there is never listed what I looking it size and prices range with OH area, so I was look more wide to PA, KY, IN, MI... But not really have chances I seen.
May be never list to year so.

Here is my question 1.
I saw FT wanted section has some one looking for FT from Tennessee and then underneath replied from ND or Texas try to offer.
In this case, are they really drive up there pick it up? Or meet to some place middle area?

I’ve been drove GMC 2500 pickup truck, full size cargo van and U-haul truck ($29.99 sign size) before but never towed any, if I find one that will be 1st time, I know have to check axle and wheels make sure OK etc... But still worry about first time looong way towing with safe drive issue.

Question 2. Is...
I'm looking for 13" Casita, Scamp or sort of this kind with shower option.
But I just notice Scamp and Casita start made shower option for 13' model only few years ago. Is this right? Any other maker older 13' model has shower option with it?
Because my budget is $4000 to start and I don't think this is 4~5 years old used deal.
Probably OK with just bath only, I just looking for more advantage if possible.
I have to have 13' only, because my car pulling capacity.

I hope to get good idea from here many expert peoples and I will keep on eyes for replies

Thanks.
Jackmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:39 AM   #2

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
People are willing to drive far to buy they kind of make a vacation out of the trip, depending on the seller deals can be made to meet half way.

Towing is not much of an issue the trailer rides along trouble free in most cases, you would be more likely to be looking in the mirror wondering if it's still there. You give yourself extra room for braking.

Others will have far more experience talking about the 13" Casita, Scamp.

I can say that at this time of year many wait till spring to sell as prices will be higher than selling in winter.

Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hello Yohan and welcome to the forum. I agree with Daniel, as long as you safely hitch your trailer to your tow vehicle, (lights, safety chains ect.)you will be fine pulling. Backing takes some practice. An empty parking lot is a good place to learn. Used 13' trailers do turn up. Thirteen foot trailers with a shower are not as common. Perhaps a porti pot and campground facilities will work. That's what we do.

Last summer I found at least six 13 foot fiberglass campers within 200 miles of my home. The for sale section of this forum, the web site Fiberglass RV for Sale, and Craigs list are good places to check daily. Watch for scams on Craigs list. There is a good post in the General Chat section on scams. When you see a trailer you are interested in, don't hesitate or you will loose it. Good luck, Raz

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ted-49773.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I drove 3136 miles from NY to Chilliwack, BC to pick up my trailer. Of course I stayed in the west for awhile...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #5

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Hi Yohan
We lucked out and found what we were looking for 90 miles away but if we had not been able to get there the first day someone else would have bought it!
A fiberglass trailer under $4000 close to where you live is going to require some luck. We will all be hoping with you that your egg shows up soon. Enjoy the hunt.

Denece and Rob V
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
We traveled from Florida to Michigan to buy our trailer; over 2000 miles total.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #7

Name: Yohan
Trailer: In the Market
Ohio
Thanks' for everyone.

Oh my...you guys really heavy traveler, I can't imagine to drive 2~3 thousand miles to get what you needs.
Yes, of course I have to check these site for every days, is any easy way to on shot search from craigslist? Or has to search thru city by cities over and over?
Jackmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Yohan, I just wanted to pop in and welcome you to FiberglassRV as well. And wish you lots of luck in your egg hunt
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmask View Post
Thanks' for everyone.

Oh my...you guys really heavy traveler, I can't imagine to drive 2~3 thousand miles to get what you needs.
Yes, of course I have to check these site for every days, is any easy way to on shot search from craigslist? Or has to search thru city by cities over and over?

Try here

SearchTempest - The EASY way to search Craigslist
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I went from Vancouver BC 800 miles to small town in Idaho to purchase mine - sight unseen - not even a picture. Spent an hour on the phone talking with the seller about the condition of the trailer before jumping in the car to go and get it. I think in talking to the seller you will get a feel if they are someone you trust or not - I suspect if someone knows you are driving a long ways to see the trailer they know you may not be a very happy person to deal with if you arrive and things are not at all what they indicated in regards to condition. I know that may not always be the case but suspect most people are pretty honest. You can get the seller to send you some photos prior to taking the drive - that is if they have a camera :-) the person I purchased from did not. You can also ask here if anyone lives near the trailer who could go and take a look at it for you before you do.

I also had to get the seller to promise not to sell it before I could get there the next day. He had a lot of people wanting to see the trailer but gave me the first option on it as I had been the first to call on it and expressed that I was not going to haggle with him over his asking price if the trailer was in the condition he indicated it was. It turned out to be better condition than what I was expecting.

Also make sure you ask what type/size trailer electrical plug the trailer has & size of tow ball before leaving home so you know that every thing will fit what ever you are going to be towing it with. As I was purchasing a 16' I also had to make sure the brake controller in my car was working before leaving to get the trailer.

good luck with your search.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I traveled from the Vancouver, BC area to Texas to get mine. Turned it into a family vacation, spent a month on the road. Total trip was about 8,000 miles (more or less).
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Yohan has a problem

Everyone, from what I read in this thread, Yohan, (or is it Johan?) does not have such a command of the English language that would allow him to evaluate the person on the other end of a telephone conversation. Maybe a FGRV member not far from him could give him a hand.

We were lucky in being able to afford new when we purchased ours, as well as speaking the language fluently.

Yohan only has $4K to work with. I hope he is handy with tools.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #13

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita Liberty
California
How far would you go to get your egg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
We traveled from Florida to Michigan to buy our trailer; over 2000 miles total.
We picked up our Casita in Rice Tx...2000 miles away from home base in Bay Area California...that makes 4000 miles round trip, plus an extra 1000 or so for sight seeing.
rgbekker is offline   Reply With Quote