Another way to winterize - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2005, 04:20 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Hi All:
I'm new to this site. I have a 16' Scamp and love it. We cold-weather camp weather in a camp ground or in our drive way.
To help keep the little bug warmer in the winter and not run the heater so much I covered our windows with 3-M window sealing plastic.
The kind you use a hair-dryer on.
I picked up kit at Menards.
It made a big difference. There wasn't cold air seaping in from the windows and the heater did run as often.
I only wish I thought of this last year.
Kate and Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sounds like a great idea Did it also cut down on the window condensation which I find to be a pretty big problem in cold weather.

Then too...Welcome to FiberglassRV Kate and Dave, we're glad you're here!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:05 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I was looking at that stuff the other day, but I decided against it as I always leave a window cracked when running the heater.

If I leave the roof vent open instead.. guess where all the heat goes???
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Gina's ventilation issue is important, but perhaps the best approach would be to select the best one or two windows for ventilation, and cover the rest with the film.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My Scamp's front and back windows are plexiglass and don't open. The front window is right at the bed level. I'd like to find something more to control the condensation problem in cold weather. Sure hope Kate and Dave come back and answer up.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:58 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Hi - I'm back - took a little trip but not in the Scamp.
We did spend the night in the scamp and unfortunately I didn't check the condensation. I would have to assume there was some.
I replaced the sheer curtains with flannel curtains to keep out the light and the cold and forgot to look.
As for ventilation, The egg is not that air tight and cold air still seeps through so I figure we're safe.
We did not cover the "escape hatch". It was left open for a variety of reasons - too lazy, ran out plastic, didn't want to reach, and we use the hatch as a "back up refridgerator" in the colder months by refridgerating items outside on the roof :0).
Kate and Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 14 ft Surfside
I really like the "auxiliary refrigerator" idea. Probably better than the more common "outside the front door" auxiliary refrigerator.
Sandy Gilpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:55 AM   #8

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
Hi all,
I'm really interested in the condensation problem too. We were out last week, the temp. only dropped to 32 or so in the night, but the windows dripped horribley by morning! Does that stick on stuff cover the whole window frame, or just the window pane? And what about the bug screens, do they come off?
I had also discovered the heater in our trailer makes a hideous cranking, blasting noise and woke me constantly when we last used it, so we got a little ceramic almost noiseless heater and plugged it in. MUCH BETTER! Is the ventilation thing really important because of the propane use (in the refrigerator I presume?) I never really thought about it unless we're cooking.
Christine
christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:55 PM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I thought the Burro was pretty Breezy too when I got it. All kinds of small gaps and stuff that gave me the false impression that I had reasonable outside air circulating into the coach.

One nite I tried to light the stove after I had been inside with it all closed up. Me and two dogs. Heater was going.. the lighter would NOT light. I tried several lighters, none lit.

I figured it out.. there was NOT enough oxygen in the egg to light them. I opened the door, and lit the lighter outside.

After that, a window is ALWAYS left cracked, even in below freezing temps.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote