Antifreeze - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #1

Name: Heather
Trailer: 1971 Play Pac
Pennsylvania
Registry
Lightbulb Antifreeze

So I learned this weekend, according to my dad, that if you wipe down your fiberglass (anything) with straight anitfreeze, and leave it on while in storage or over the winter, it will work as a moisturizer, haha, and replenish the oils in the fiberglass giving it a new luster. Just rinse off in the spring.
According to Dad, this is an old mariners trick for winterizing boats!
Now I am certain that he is absolutely correct, cause he is never wrong!
imbabyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've never heard that. I do know that it is toxic to animals and tastes sweet.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
that must have been before EPA rules about antifreeze disposal. I can not imagine coating your trailer with this stuff and then washing it off and it all goes down the storm sewer into the local stream. Garages have to capture and dispose of antifreeze or face large fines.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Old time rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
that must have been before EPA rules about antifreeze disposal. I can not imagine coating your trailer with this stuff and then washing it off and it all goes down the storm sewer into the local stream. Garages have to capture and dispose of antifreeze or face large fines.
This reminds me of when we were kids and they sprayed used motor oil on the roads to keep dust down and on ponds and swamps to control mosquitoes .It also reminds me of the home remedies my dad and grandfather told me about when I was a kid . It seems strange now to use antifreeze for this purpose but 50 years ago it probably made sense
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I'm hoping it was RV antifreeze he was talking about...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
This reminds me of when we were kids and they sprayed used motor oil on the roads to keep dust down and on ponds and swamps to control mosquitoes .It also reminds me of the home remedies my dad and grandfather told me about when I was a kid . It seems strange now to use antifreeze for this purpose but 50 years ago it probably made sense

PCB - laced oil in transformers is often considered to be one of the most toxic things, yet there are places where folks swear by it as a cure for arthritis - calling it "electric oil", and rubbing on afflicted areas
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Pcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
PCB - laced oil in transformers is often considered to be one of the most toxic things, yet there are places where folks swear by it as a cure for arthritis - calling it "electric oil", and rubbing on afflicted areas
In the 60's I used to change the taps on transformers filled with PCP oil by opening the top cover and reaching down barehanded into the oil to rotate the tap switch. We also dunked our tools in PCP oil to lubricate them. It was not considered a problem . Move ahead to the 80's and oil with 2 PPM of PCP was considered hazardous. I also remember when they sprayed fireproofing with asbestos on construction jobs and no one wore PPE . We all have done things in the past that appear to be stupid when judged against today's standards
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
In the 60's I used to change the taps on transformers filled with PCP oil by opening the top cover and reaching down barehanded into the oil to rotate the tap switch. We also dunked our tools in PCP oil to lubricate them. It was not considered a problem . Move ahead to the 80's and oil with 2 PPM of PCP was considered hazardous. I also remember when they sprayed fireproofing with asbestos on construction jobs and no one wore PPE . We all have done things in the past that appear to be stupid when judged against today's standards

You just reminded me that when I was a li'l kidlet, my school was quite proud of the asbestos curtains in the auditorium!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbabyh View Post
Just rinse off in the spring.

Ok, I get that someone probably used this method somewhere in time, but "just rinse off" ??????

Wouldn't snow, rain have already done that if it was so easy to come off? Around here if it was that easy to remove, it would be gone by Oct......... (well a normal CO winter anyway! Obvisously this year was different!)
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Remember when they used to sell lead casting kits to kids, and Boys Life magazine advertised ammunition?
If knives, matches, glass, electricity, etc. were invented today they would probably have a difficult time being approved for home use.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Remember when they used to sell lead casting kits to kids, and Boys Life magazine advertised ammunition?
If knives, matches, glass, electricity, etc. were invented today they would probably have a difficult time being approved for home use.
We used to play with balls of liquid mercury when I was a kid.......hey wait a minute, this explains a few things.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
We used to play with balls of liquid mercury when I was a kid.......hey wait a minute, this explains a few things.
When my dentist gave me some to play with he did warn me that I shouldn't do it if I had any cuts on my hand.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
In last 15 years antifreeze used in auto cooling systems has gone through some major chemical changes. It's not even close to the same stuff used 15 to 20 years ago.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #14

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I'm thinking that Heather's dad told her that on April 1.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We use to Flag the airplane that sprayed the field and lay down and watch it go over our head and of course get that spray all over us. I don't't't' thenk its didnt do annny harmam at alll.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #16

Name: Paul
Trailer: Play Pac Hitch Hut
Tennessee
Transmission fluid for a GM vehicle is perfect for wood trim on campers and boats. How many of us are over 60 with all of these " inexpensive substitutions ". Some work fine, some dangerous. Worked in a factory and some washed grease off of their hands with trichloroethylene, ( spelling doubtful ) extremely dangerous. It's a wonder we grew up and older at all!
Paul west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul west View Post
Transmission fluid for a GM vehicle is perfect for wood trim on campers and boats. How many of us are over 60 with all of these " inexpensive substitutions ". Some work fine, some dangerous. Worked in a factory and some washed grease off of their hands with trichloroethylene, ( spelling doubtful ) extremely dangerous. It's a wonder we grew up and older at all!
Near where I live, the Canadian Pacific Railroad (CPR) used to wash the train cars with Trichloroethylene (otherwise known as TCE). They did not collect it after, they just let it seep into the ground. Over the course of a hundred years or so, (the place is that old, not sure how long they did this). It got into the ground water, and is now coming up in peoples basements. The solution is to have a sub slab ventilation system. They are now being sued.
CPR - TCE Pollution class action litigation, by Docken & Company Class Action Lawyers

It probably made sense at the time.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #18

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well,,, all that aside mmm was he refering to new formula red anti freeze? or the old green stuff? i'll bet a chocolate donut that at least one of them is not good for fiberglass,,,,or it would say fiberglass preservative on the label and be sold at rv centers for 4 times as much.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #19

Name: Heather
Trailer: 1971 Play Pac
Pennsylvania
Registry
Omg lol....... I guess by today's standards it wouldn't be a good idea. I'm sure dad was referring to the older antifreeze. I'm in my 40s and hes never owned a boat that I know of. He had a boat as a kid and his dad was in the navy.... Maybe there's a connection there? Anyways, I won't be doing it! Lol
imbabyh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
play–pac