Anyone ever do a non-sale, cross-border gift of a trailer to a Canadia - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Hello,
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, so please feel free to move it!

I'm giving my 13' Uhaul trailer to my in-laws this summer, driving from Boston to Canmore, Alberta, to deliver it. Massachusetts is a no-title state, and I don't have one for this trailer . . . and I'm wondering if this is going to make things difficult for them to register it in Alberta. As a dual-country family, we're so used to sneaking gifts across the border that it hadn't occurred to me to be upfront with customs - I was just going to enter the country as a tourist, drop the trailer deep in the forest at a friend's house, and run! Now, I'm thinking I might want to do this the right way, to make it as simple as possible for them to register and insure it.

It's a gift . . . and they won't be with me when I enter Canada somewhere in Quebec, nor will my Canadian hubby be there. I suppose I could make up a bill of sale . . . hmm. It's 25 years old, so it sounds like that makes it easier.

Anyone ever do a non-sale, cross-border gift of a trailer to a Canadian? Thanks in advance!
Julia
Julia O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler
If I were you,I'd contact Canada Customs And Revenue Agency to discuss.They should be able to steer you in the right direction.
Rick Harmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1700 1978 (Neonex Clagary)
In British Columbia, you need to give them a gift letter. That way when they want to try and register the trailer, they won't have to pay taxes because it was a gift. Saves lots of money and you only have to pay the processing fees. Don't know anything about Alberta or Canada Customs. Might what to check on their web site to see if you can find any info about that.
Lydia Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
use a company like ITS first and obtain a title, without it they will not be able to register the trailer in Canada. Then check with Canada customs.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Is not MA a "no title state" for under certain weight?

I was able to register mine from the USA without a title, it all depends on your documentation. What paperwork do you have from your DMV? Send a picture of that to your intended recipient and they should be able to check out what is required locally. Tell them to find someone in the office that has been around for a while as they will know more than a newbie.

Even if you say it is a gift, you may still have to pay federal import taxes at the border (GST = 5%). Alberta has no provincial sales tax. For the sake of the recipients insurance or getting nabbed by the customs people etc it is not really worth trying to understate the value too much.

Almost forgot to mention, make sure you know that a trailer over 15 years old does not require having to go through the RIV process. (it might be worth printing that section from the RIV website)
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Quote:
Is not MA a "no title state" for under certain weight?

I was able to register mine from the USA without a title, it all depends on your documentation. What paperwork do you have from your DMV? Send a picture of that to your intended recipient and they should be able to check out what is required locally. Tell them to find someone in the office that has been around for a while as they will know more than a newbie.

Even if you say it is a gift, you may still have to pay federal import taxes at the border (GST = 5%). Alberta has no provincial sales tax. For the sake of the recipients insurance or getting nabbed by the customs people etc it is not really worth trying to understate the value too much.

Almost forgot to mention, make sure you know that a trailer over 15 years old does not require having to go through the RIV process. (it might be worth printing that section from the RIV website)
Thank you for all of the suggestions, everyone. I was having trouble even finding the right agency-names in Canada to check with, so this is enormously helpful. It's not much of a gift if I create problems for them on their end with registration & taxes. This was great.
Julia O. is offline   Reply With Quote